There are 167 users in the forums

Should we continue to risk drafting injured players?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should we continue to risk drafting injured players?

NO!!!! Has this EVER worked?
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
As much as people hate it, I still love it. Always have.

Baalke sets a ton of flack for it, but I like it.

Lattimore? Yeah..that knee was too screwed up for him to make it back, but I still don't take issue with the selection.
Tank? I don't think the injury is the problem. He jusy doesn't fit as 3-4 DE. At least we didn't take him in round 1 where he'd likely have gone if he didn't get hurt.
B. Thomas? To early to tell.
Q. Dial? Not to shabby.
Reaser? Too early to tell.
Smelter? WAY too early to tell.

Peeps who don't like Baalke seem to much such a big deal out of it but only ONE of these guys was even taken in the first 2 rounds. Other than that the highest pick was a 3rd round compensatory pick.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

Lol trent could waste about 50 picks in 5 years and you still wouldn't find issue with it. Oh wait he did

...and you'd take issue with any pick that isn't an all-pro or accredit it to someone else.

See...I can make over generalized statements as well. :D
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

Yes.

Yes.

And with a future HOFer lol
Originally posted by TheRambler:

Yes.

And with a future HOFer lol

...and the teams all time rushing leader.

Baalke gets a ton of flack for it, but I like it.

Lattimore? Yeah..that knee was too screwed up for him to make it back, but I still don't take issue with the selection.
Tank? I don't think the injury is the problem. He just doesn't fit as 3-4 DE. At least we didn't take him in round 1 where he'd likely have gone if he didn't get hurt.
B. Thomas? Too early to tell.
Q. Dial? Not too shabby.

Peeps who don't like Baalke seem to make such a big deal out of it but only ONE of these guys was even taken in the first 2 rounds. Other than that the highest pick was a 3rd round compensatory pick.

To me though, only Lattimore has been unable to come back. All of the others so far have been able to make it back to the field and it hasn't been the injury thats prevented them from making an impact.

The dudes who knock the Lattimore pick also fail to understand how transcendent of a college football player he was. He would have been a top 10 pick if healthy.That gamble was totally worth it, zero questions about it.

Rams look pretty smart taking Gurley last year.

Tank? I don't think the injury is the problem. He just doesn't fit as 3-4 DE. At least we didn't take him in round 1 where he'd likely have gone if he didn't get hurt.
Q. Dial? Not too shabby.

Peeps who don't like Baalke seem to make such a big deal out of it but only ONE of these guys was even taken in the first 2 rounds. Other than that the highest pick was a 3rd round compensatory pick.

To me though, only Lattimore has been unable to come back. All of the others so far have been able to make it back to the field and it hasn't been the injury thats prevented them from making an impact.

The dudes who knock the Lattimore pick also fail to understand how transcendent of a college football player he was. He would have been a top 10 pick if healthy.That gamble was totally worth it, zero questions about it.

...and Lattimore was a 4th round COMPENSATORY pick...IE very end of the round.

They rolled the dice. Why is that a crime? Hell, the Bills took Willis McGahee in the FIRST ROUND. When Baalke starts doing THAT, then there might be something to complain about.
Nope. Too risky and Baalke has already shown to fail using that tactic. Been saying this since he took Lattimore.

Tank was his biggest miss in this department due to the draft slot used. He has been pretty much useless.

Q. Dial? Not too shabby.

They rolled the dice. Why is that a crime? Hell, the Bills took Willis McGahee in the FIRST ROUND. When Baalke starts doing THAT, then there might be something to complain about.

It's all just part of the made up narrative to discredit Baalke. Agree with it or not, his METHODOLOGY is very well thought out.The facts and statistics have been presented and ignored enough times by the negative nancys, but you can't rationally say Baalke is a bad GM. At worst you might consider him middle of the pack based on results alone, but that completely ignores the reasons he makes the moves he does.
[ Edited by TheRambler on Apr 18, 2016 at 12:56 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Q. Dial? Not too shabby.

Would have been nice to use those picks on some better Olinemen or maybe a WR or back up RB.

Would have been nice to use those picks on some better Olinemen or maybe a WR or back up RB.

We drafted a WR. We drafted a RB and have good depth because Trent made great street pickups. We wouldn't have needed OL if Anthony Davis didn't screw us and Kilgore's recovery was according to schedule.

Q. Dial? Not too shabby.

You mean like the healthy O-lineman they took in the same round as B. Thomas, the WRs they've selected (Patton, Ellington) or the RBs they've taken in every draft for like 7 years?
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 18, 2016 at 1:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Nope. Too risky and Baalke has already shown to fail using that tactic. Been saying this since he took Lattimore.

Tank was his biggest miss in this department due to the draft slot used. He has been pretty much useless.

WHich makes it a bad pick based on performance, NOT on the injury.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

WHich makes it a bad pick based on performance, NOT on the injury.

The injury may have had something to do with it. Especially considering he was reported to be a top pick in the draft. That would explain the drastic fall off in play. The reports were that his knee wasn't right at first and he took quite a long time to recover from it and hit the field. We were waiting a long time for him to even see the field. That injury hurt his career and to think otherwise I think would be incorrect. Didn't get much playing time so I'm guessing he didn't get back to his beast form.

Either way, the red shirt pick was a bad pick, no matter how you slice it.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 18, 2016 at 1:05 PM ]
There's certainly a spot for it but I do think Trent has over done it a tad for my liking
Share 49ersWebzone