LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

Should we continue to risk drafting injured players?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should we continue to risk drafting injured players?

• Chico
  • Veteran
What do you guys think? I get that some of these guys would be first round picks "if they weren't injured" but Trent keeps taking chances and most of them aren't working out. I'm fed up with drafting these guys like a Tank, Lattimore, Brandon Thomas, etc. The picks could have been used for someone that's maybe less talented but at least they will contribute to the team. I say we're wasting our draft picks on these guys.

What do you guys think?
As soon as we quit doing it another team will do it and strike gold!!
Lol
I look at the draft this way.

First 4 rounds, you can find starters, depending what position you are drafting. Rounds 5-7, that is where I don't mind if we take chances. Tank, Lattimore, Thomas, those guys were drafted in the first 4 rounds, which is just dumb.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yes keep doing it because its worked out so well for us.
The waste of a pick sentiment is silly. Frank Gore. nuff said.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Frank was a 3rd rounder, i think. so 1 out of 100 times and we should keep doing it?
Originally posted by Chico:
Frank was a 3rd rounder, i think. so 1 out of 100 times and we should keep doing it?

Y'all act like we are spending early draft pics on these ACL guys. Only Carradine was, but his upside was through the roof.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
I look at the draft this way.

First 4 rounds, you can find starters, depending what position you are drafting. Rounds 5-7, that is where I don't mind if we take chances. Tank, Lattimore, Thomas, those guys were drafted in the first 4 rounds, which is just dumb.

Smart!

Agree on Tank - lots of potential especially the way he played in college.

BUT - NOT this year.

Please Trent - no ACL player this year.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
As soon as we quit doing it another team will do it and strike gold!!
Lol

jaguars did pretty good with aaron colvin. He was great in his first year coming back from a ACL tear
it really depends on where you are drafting the player and who is left on the board

Acl all stars
  • thl408
A major leg injury should knock a prospect's value down about 2 rounds, maybe 3, not one round like how Baalke has been doing it. Very risky when the NFL team doesn't know how well the operation to repair the injury went since it wasn't an NFL team's approved doctor that performed the operation (correct me if that's wrong). I see value in drafting these players with bad injuries, just hasn't really panned out recently.
Myles Jack is Baalke material.
As much as people hate it, I still love it. Always have.

Baalke gets a ton of flack for it, but I like it.

Lattimore? Yeah..that knee was too screwed up for him to make it back, but I still don't take issue with the selection.
Tank? I don't think the injury is the problem. He just doesn't fit as 3-4 DE. At least we didn't take him in round 1 where he'd likely have gone if he didn't get hurt.
B. Thomas? Too early to tell.
Q. Dial? Not too shabby.
Reaser? Too early to tell.
Smelter? WAY too early to tell.

Peeps who don't like Baalke seem to make such a big deal out of it but only ONE of these guys was even taken in the first 2 rounds. Other than that the highest pick was a 3rd round compensatory pick.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

To me though, only Lattimore has been unable to come back. All of the others so far have been able to make it back to the field and it hasn't been the injury thats prevented them from making an impact.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 18, 2016 at 12:43 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Marvin49:
As much as people hate it, I still love it. Always have.

Baalke sets a ton of flack for it, but I like it.

Lattimore? Yeah..that knee was too screwed up for him to make it back, but I still don't take issue with the selection.
Tank? I don't think the injury is the problem. He jusy doesn't fit as 3-4 DE. At least we didn't take him in round 1 where he'd likely have gone if he didn't get hurt.
B. Thomas? To early to tell.
Q. Dial? Not to shabby.
Reaser? Too early to tell.
Smelter? WAY too early to tell.

Peeps who don't like Baalke seem to much such a big deal out of it but only ONE of these guys was even taken in the first 2 rounds. Other than that the highest pick was a 3rd round compensatory pick.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

Lol trent could waste about 50 picks in 5 years and you still wouldn't find issue with it. Oh wait he did
Share 49ersWebzone