There are 267 users in the forums

How does the Rams trade affect us?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How does the Rams trade affect us?

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Dtg, I would feel let down if we took Bosa or Ramsey. One we would have to convert, the other we aren't sure we could use him/need him. Buckner is my favorite and if gone, hope for Stanley, our immediate RG and takes over for Joe S when he hangs 'em up. Perfect timing. Of course I'd take Tunsil too, but never will happen. I feel bad for Jack, but c'est la vie.

No team is going to pick Jack before the 12th pick.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Well, if we had drafted Tom Brady (we passed on him 6 times or 7), and had we drafted Aaron Rodgers,, neither of those guys would be shoe in HOFers. Just wouldn't have happened with the ownership and F.O we have here. So now we aren't drafting one of the top 2 qBs in the draft, tho neither is in the Cam, Jameis, or luck league. They are jsut the best two QBs in the draft and are the 9th to 12th best players in the draft. And Rams gave up 2 ONES, 2 TWOs and 2 THREES.. For one or the other. Wow. That has Herschel Walker written all over it. Made Dallas and broke Minn. Usually those trades are great....for the team that traded away the first spot.

It just makes our pick that much easier. I had worried we might take Goff at #7, but he wouldn't help us immediately and we need impact players. Now we get one. If Buckner happens to slide to 7, we should thank the Rams. If not, we take Stanley, make him play OG, and when Staley hangs 'em up, he moves to LT. Plug an play, impact player and makes this OL look stellar. After that we just draft DEs, DTs, an OLB in mid rounds, and a WR later. Makes out draft pretty easy.

Oh, if Jack, with his "mixed opinions" medical report, Trent can not afford to take an all ACL, MCL or whatever player. Not at #7. This has to be a sure thing, and Mixed medical opinions are not what we wanted to hear. Anybody but Trent...maybe. But NOT Trent. What a shame because I loved the guy. Have not yet accessed the medical report so not certain yet, but odds are this is a no go.

1 Julian PetersonLBMichigan State
1 Ahmed PlummerDBOhio State
2. John EngelbergerDEVirginia Tech
2 Jason WebsterDBTexas A&M
3 Giovanni CarmazziQBHofstra
3 Jeff UlbrichLBHawaii
4. John KeithDBFurman
5 Paul SmithRBTexas-El Paso
5 John MilemDELenoir-Rhyne
7 Tim RattayQBLouisiana Tech
7 Brian JenningsTEArizona State

The 49er "Trail of Tears"
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by midrdan:
How does it impact us? If the QB they take is as good as Peyton Manning then look at how his team's division opponents fared for the 15 years he played.

If he is as bad as their last No. 1 pick - Bradshaw - then they just set their franchise back three years minimum.

Won't really know until the season starts.

not with draft pick contracts anymore.

to be honest, if I were a GM and I was looking for a QB of the future...I'd take 2 QBs in the same draft.. .both high if need be.

and continue to take one high the next year if one of them comes off as a bust.

Worked out well for Redskins.

yeah, but I'd only do that if I had a capable Offensive Line...... other wise I'm drafting/signing freeagent Olineman like crazy first and foremost.

Oline
QB
Dline
Passrush

then secondary.

LBers

then I'd invest/come back to Receivers and running back down the road. (but I'd try to have speed at WR until then)

that's how I'd build a team, if I need to from scratch...or rebuilding.

I'm all about building both lines first and I feel we should start there.

There is enough history like Ditka-Ricki Williams, Heshall Walker trades hurting the team that gave sold the farm for one guy.

IMO, the Rams did us a favor.
Originally posted by deepniner:
This trade basically has made it that so no one besides Stanley or Bosa would fall into the 7th spot. At this point, its a horrible situation and I think Baalke should simply try to trade the pick. Its very disappointing.
I'd like to hear from the folks now who wanted to win the last few games. The idea is great in theory, but horrible from a pragmatic view of things. What did that achieve?

They're professionals, they get paid to compete. It is probably in most of their natures to compete. Worrying about how it affects your draft position is a game for losers. In this instance they went out and competed won a couple of games and maybe earned some trust and respect from the players around them. Certainly Gabbert benefited from going out and competing instead of just mailing it in which is what Kaepernick seemed like he was doing. As a result the team got behind him and now he is in contention for a starters role and Kaepernick has one foot out the door and, according to several reports, is pretty much disliked by a number of his teammates. I imagine no matter how the draft falls they will find someone decent at 7 that can help them as long as Baalke doesn't pull another AJ Jenkins surprise.
Well, if we had drafted Tom Brady (we passed on him 6 times or 7), and had we drafted Aaron Rodgers,, neither of those guys would be shoe in HOFers. Just wouldn't have happened with the ownership and F.O we have here. So now we aren't drafting one of the top 2 qBs in the draft, tho neither is in the Cam, Jameis, or luck league. They are jsut the best two QBs in the draft and are the 9th to 12th best players in the draft. And Rams gave up 2 ONES, 2 TWOs and 2 THREES.. For one or the other. Wow. That has Herschel Walker written all over it. Made Dallas and broke Minn. Usually those trades are great....for the team that traded away the first spot.

It just makes our pick that much easier. I had worried we might take Goff at #7, but he wouldn't help us immediately and we need impact players. Now we get one. If Buckner happens to slide to 7, we should thank the Rams. If not, we take Stanley, make him play OG, and when Staley hangs 'em up, he moves to LT. Plug an play, impact player and makes this OL look stellar. After that we just draft DEs, DTs, an OLB in mid rounds, and a WR later. Makes out draft pretty easy.

Oh, if Jack, with his "mixed opinions" medical report, Trent can not afford to take an all ACL, MCL or whatever player. Not at #7. This has to be a sure thing, and Mixed medical opinions are not what we wanted to hear. Anybody but Trent...maybe. But NOT Trent. What a shame because I loved the guy. Have not yet accessed the medical report so not certain yet, but odds are this is a no go.

3 Jeff UlbrichLBHawaii
4. John KeithDBFurman

That was actually a decent draft, other than the not drafting Tom Brady part
Originally posted by TheRambler:

3 Jeff UlbrichLBHawaii
4. John KeithDBFurman

That was actually a decent draft, other than the not drafting Tom Brady part

You're correct
I just got it Blizz...we passed on Brady 9 times.
Share 49ersWebzone