LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

CB would we be better with Ward at CB.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
With the team going back to more man concepts, I think Brock will have a resurgence, and DJ gets to throw his hat into the mix as starting CB. I don't think Mangini's zone schemes played to the strengths of these two guys. JoN will play a healthy mix of press and off coverage, with Brock excelling in off coverage. He does a good job reading a QB's dropback and jumping three step concepts - an example is Bow's pick6 at the Stick.

I'd also like to see what Ward can do at safety, where he can have a bigger impact than at slot CB or CB. Tartt I'd like to see played like DBuchanon from ARI as a hybrid safety/LB. He didn't look good to me as a safety, but he was a rookie from a small college so there's going to be a big learning curve there as he adjusts to the speed of the NFL. There's some positional flexibility with these two guys so it'll be interesting how the new defensive staff, who obviously had no input in the drafting of Ward/Tartt, views them.

Great points as usual but this one is most intriguing to me.
  • thl408
Originally posted by lamontb:
Ward is nice in the slot so I say leave him there and at safety. Let's not try to get cute. We need better cover guys on the outside.

So you want him at slot CB or safety?
Considering we were in it for Sean Smith I would suspect we will be looking to add a CB in the early rounds of the draft.
I would prefer Ward at FS.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
If all these guys come into camp in shape and have a firm grasp of the playbook, do we even need to draft a CB? ...That Falcons game proved Cro and DJ can start if needed , Just think of how much more effective our CB's will be with a strong consistent pass rush ...adding teeth to the front 7 should be a top priority

I agree, our secondary is fine...all we need is a pass rush, at least 3 in our front 7
  • thl408
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Considering we were in it for Sean Smith I would suspect we will be looking to add a CB in the early rounds of the draft.

When Fangio was in town, he played a coverage scheme that was very team oriented. That's why he rarely blitzed. He needed 7 guys in coverage. Jim ONeil is blitz heavy, and plays man coverage. This puts more of an emphasis, and pressure, on the CBs. So while Baalke was digging through the bargain bin when Fangio was here (Cook, Cox, Nnamdi), with JoN, CB play needs to do well because they will be put on an island. Hence the reason Baalke pursued Sean Smith, reportedly. I've seen JoN call some very funky/lopsided coverages when he had Joe Haden playing well. Anyway, I agree that CB might be a higher priority in the draft than past years, if JoN doesn't like the current pool of CBs on the roster.
DJ and Acker should be starting IMO. With Brock and Ward playing nickel/dime. Tartt and Reid at safety. Still not sold on Ward being a good player. Doesnt have the top end speed
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
What happened to Acker? We don't know if Reaser can even play.

Yep, Acker won the starting spot last year, so he is a front runner
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Start:

CB: Dontae + Brock
Nickel: Cromartie + Tartt (Robber)
SCB: Reaser
S: Ward + Reid

This right here

Yup
do you guys foresee a nice rookie throwing a monkey wrench. in a good way, into your projections?

Idk I don't really see how a rook could break into serious pt without injury happening.
I'm not even sure the new staff will put ward at FS which where I think he would make the most impact...sure tackler, range and all about the tape.
[ Edited by Allx9er on Apr 13, 2016 at 12:38 PM ]
Start:

No offense, but I don't think you know what a "robber" is. Robber is not a static position; it's a coverage. Anyone can be the robber. some teams use the free safety or a corner as the robber. It all depends on personnel, coverage concept, what the offense is doing and football philosophy.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 13, 2016 at 1:02 PM ]

Originally posted by Heroism:
Start:

No offense, but I don't think you know what a "robber" is. Robber is not a position; it's a coverage. Anyone can be the robber. some teams use the free safety as the robber. It all depends on personnel, coverage concept and football philosophy.

None taken. You're right...we'd use that robber role mostly for Tartt similar how AZ uses Bucannon (hybrid FS/ILB role). IIRC, that's exactly how we were using him last year until the injury that forced him back to S. It would allow us the option to pull off either Bowman or Hodges and add additional coverage skills w/o losing too much in the run defense.
Ward is nice in the slot so I say leave him there and at safety. Let's not try to get cute. We need better cover guys on the outside.

I mean both. In certain sub packages where Tarrt, Reid, and Ward will all be on the field at the same time. And in normal 3 wr sets he's still the slot CB. Just no need to try to move him to outside covering number 1 guys.
[ Edited by lamontb on Apr 13, 2016 at 1:01 PM ]
I think it's funny how people say we our deep at saftey and the cornerback positions (which I agree we are) then turn around and say balkee can't "find talent" and hasn't hit on any draft picks when every single player you're talking about was drafted by balkee. Not every player is gunna pan out and you miss more than you hit. We have had some real bad luck/karma the past few seasons but our day will come......
Originally posted by FutureGM:
I think it's funny how people say we our deep at saftey and the cornerback positions (which I agree we are) then turn around and say balkee can't "find talent" and hasn't hit on any draft picks when every single player you're talking about was drafted by balkee. Not every player is gunna pan out and you miss more than you hit. We have had some real bad luck/karma the past few seasons but our day will come......

I don't know who you are buddy...but...I like your style!
  • thl408

I mean both. In certain sub packages where Tarrt, Reid, and Ward will all be on the field at the same time. And in normal 3 wr sets he's still the slot CB. Just no need to try to move him to outside covering number 1 guys.

Agree. No need to move him to RCB/LCB when there is some potential there that might develop into good players. I hope they try to give Ward a home at safety before trying him at outside CB.
Share 49ersWebzone