LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 201 users in the forums

Favorite Non Playoff 49ers Team of the 2000s

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Favorite Non Playoff 49ers Team of the 2000s

Originally posted by Follower:
Yes, sir. We were actually in 3rd place that year, if you can believe that. We would have crushed anybody in the playoffs. I firmly believe that.

I honestly think in 1991, two of the top 3 NFC teams missed the playoffs (us and philly). Philly defense was ridiculous that year, Cunningham got hurt in the opener and they shuffled like 4-5 QBs and still went 10-6. The defense only allowed like 3500 yards. We beat them in Philly though in 1991.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
Better defensive draft and don't hand gift Haley to Dallas. He could've been controlled if Ronnie wasn't plan B'd. Ronnie still had football left and his leadership was invaluable.

of course this is the truth.. craig leaving was ok cuz he had lost it but ronnie was different. he could still play as you said.. then you keep him and you can maybe keep haley under control. to this day i cry when i think of the d we could have had if haley and timmy harris could have co existed... sorry but that is really the number one case we tried to make back then for trading young.. we could have gotten derrick thomas for him.. thomas would have been un real for us. he never would have gotten killed and i think we would have been just fine at qb with bono and montana....... looking back. at the time., it made sense to so many of us.
Originally posted by Follower:
The york years . They will forever be remembered as horrendous. Forget those teams above because they are not something to be remembered fondly. On the other hand, the 1991 49ers would have won it all had they qualified for the playoffs.

That 91 team was the best in football but a slow start cost them. Joe never played and Steve went down, Bono took over without missing a beat.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
lol

This is the type of thread you find on Lions' forums.

4-0 preseason champs, bruh
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I voted for the 2000 team, fun to watch. First year I played fantasy football. Most of my team were 49ers and I won the whole thing, lol.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Yes, I know, we love winning teams, we only raise Super Bowl banners, boo Jed, yay Harbaugh, etc etc no1curr. But you gotta admit, there have been some fun seasons where our team wasn't in the playoffs.

My favorite by far was 2006. It was Alex and Frank's second year, and we were in the playoff picture until Week 16. We swept the defending NFC Champion Seahawks that year, and Gore ran the eff over them both games. The season ended with us playing spoiler at Denver, beating a Broncos team that just had to win against us to make the playoffs. We entered the offseason with optimism of a playoff season to follow... and it did... 5 seasons later

I agree!

favorite, and most exciting season we had was 2006. the Alex Smith roll out at home against seattle.

We beat oakland that year, was at that game BTW! got to see MOSS's 100th TD.

Back when we had Melvin Oliver, and Bryant Young still. When Derek Smith, Brandon Moore were still there.

Frankie G's break out season, but still Mo Hicks as his back up. WALT HARRIS! and Tony Parrish Still.

Good times!
Great thread, I voted Owens/Garcia.. highlight of my childhood (sadly, lol)

Those of u who grew up on montana/young rice are lucky

My favorite players of that era..
Owens
Garcia
Hearst
J. Peterson
B.Y.
Andre Carter
Barlow, lol
Parrish
Schulters
D. Smith
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
lol favorite teams s**t if I could wipe that era of niner football from my brain I would.
Why 2000 (6-10) instead of 2001? 2001 gave me hope.
Top 3 offense, top 10 defense, top 5 point diff.
Yes, I know, we love winning teams, we only raise Super Bowl banners, boo Jed, yay Harbaugh, etc etc no1curr. But you gotta admit, there have been some fun seasons where our team wasn't in the playoffs.

My favorite by far was 2006. It was Alex and Frank's second year, and we were in the playoff picture until Week 16. We swept the defending NFC Champion Seahawks that year, and Gore ran the eff over them both games. The season ended with us playing spoiler at Denver, beating a Broncos team that just had to win against us to make the playoffs. We entered the offseason with optimism of a playoff season to follow... and it did... 5 seasons later

ahhh the early years of Alex Smith and watching horrible QB play. Nothing like 16 INTs & non playoffs to get a rise out of Rambler.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:

2001 we made the playoffs, so it's not eligible
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

ahhh the early years of Alex Smith and watching horrible QB play. Nothing like 16 INTs & non playoffs to get a rise out of Rambler.

Psh don't act like you didn't have a boner when he made the big play at Seattle.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

2001 we made the playoffs, so it's not eligible

Whooops, looks like I could use:

Thanks for pointing that out. 2009 was probably the least sucky of the post 2002 teams.
Yeah that 91 team started off 2-4, then won 8 out of the next 10. I remember an announcer, asking who was the playoff team when the Niners were blowing out the Bears 52-14 in the last game of the season when the Bears made the playoffs but the niners did not.
I'm not counting any of the non-playoff seasons during the glory years (e.g. 1991) since they felt as a let down. I was used to success and playoffs pretty much every year.

For me it's 06. After the horrors of 2003-04 and the miserable lack of talent of 2005, 2006 felt like we were finally on the upswing. Many of the older underperforming starters (Barlow, Beasley) were let go, and flashy new toys (Frank, VD) stepped in. The defense was not great, we still got badly blown out now and then (Chicago, SD were particularly gruesome), and we blew games we should have won (@ AZ, @Rams). But we got 3 great victories (both Seattle games, and the season finale), had a career season from Frank, and best of all, we finished the season with hope.

I had even more hope after acing the 07 Draft and getting new and flash FAs, and starting 2-0... and then everything went pear-shaped again for another 4 seasons . But 06 was entertaining.
Share 49ersWebzone