LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Sign Anquan Boldin to a 2yr/$8-$10mil contract to play Tight End ala Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Sign Anquan Boldin to a 2yr/$8-$10mil contract to play Tight End ala Delanie Walker?

Originally posted by SoCold:
Then please do the following.

A. See post #2 of this thread.

B. Lock this b***h up and move it to the Boldin thread.

C. LOL

The position title is not the important part you should be focusing on to just be funny though. The important part is JOB DUTIES not JOB TITLE.

So again, sign him to whatever two letters you feel comfortable with under his name but take my idea and play him at TE.

Also, stop laughing at your own jokes.
Just trying to explain that his idea is not going to happen per the NFL rules. That's not being an a*****e that's just being real.

I just don't get how if a guy gets offered money to do a job because he is at a certain point in his life and it better suits his skills he can't make the move?

CB's move to safety all the time. Hell, Ward is still listed as CB/S.. lol

That's not like the NFL. If you have the skills to do a job at a different position they usually welcome the talent and show. If someone is willing to pay you it should be just fine.
[ Edited by MrMrMEanerMister on Mar 29, 2016 at 7:55 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by MrMrMEanerMister:
Just trying to explain that his idea is not going to happen per the NFL rules. That's not being an a*****e that's just being real.

I just don't get how if a guy gets offered money to do a job because he is at a certain point in his life and it better suits his skills he can't make the move?

CB's move to safety all the time. Hell, Ward is still listed as CB/S.. lol

That's not like the NFL. If you have the skills to do a job at a different position they usually welcome the talent and show. If someone is willing to pay you it should be just fine.

The point with Jimmy moving to WR was so he could force the Saints to pay him more money. The point about Boldin moving to TE would be so the team could pay him less.

If you were Boldin why would you agree to do that?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He doesn't have the size or the age to play TE. It's one thing to be pushing and shoving against CB's, it's totally another animal blocking DE and LB. TE position takes on a lot of holding and hitting from the defenders. Boldin not made for that.

Otherwise, he would just be a WR running TE routes. That's not deceptive.

The size has been proven to be a non issue by Delanie walker if you have the hands, route running, and work ethic. Boldin has all that and more. Take a look at the listed skills I presented in post #1.

Age and speed more than any other position are not as important when it comes to TE. Just look at all the current old, slow TE's playing in this league. Even Delanie has slowed.

Like I said it's not like there are an abundance of options out there at TE. Boldin is one WR that has shown he has solid run blocking when it comes to CB's whether big or small so if anyone has a shot it's a guy just like him. Even if he is just average or even slightly below it doesn't matter because we simply do not have anything better. Vance is a blocking TE with little catching skills, possession skills, route running ability, you name it. So if Boldin has the catching abilities already he can be below average or average and it's still better than anything we have at TE for receiving. If he should be average, above average or good at run blocking that's just an added bonus and one his blocking atWR has proven he has one of the best shots in the NFL of WR's to accomplish.
The point with Jimmy moving to WR was so he could force the Saints to pay him more money. The point about Boldin moving to TE would be so the team could pay him less.

That's not my point at all. Honestly. It wasn't even the first thing to cross my mind. In fact when looking at numbers Randle only got $1mil + $3mil in incentives he may or may not reach. Delanie got a 4yr/17.5mil deal so I simply averaged out numbers and looked at Boldin's previous contract to make sure it all fell right in line with WR numbers and pay scale.

The point in moving Boldin to TE once signed as WR would be to better utilize his skill set and help a need on our team.

I figured he would sit back in free agency but he still is never going to get anything better or considerably better than 2yr/$8-10mil at WR/TE. Even if the Pats suffer an injury they are going to offer about that or less. Otherwise they'll just go elsewhere like other teams.

If I'm Boldin, why pass on that deal now guaranteed in hand with a team you're familiar with that may draft a franchise QB... for the same deal later that may or may not happen for similar or less offered money?
[ Edited by MrMrMEanerMister on Mar 29, 2016 at 8:05 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He doesn't have the size or the age to play TE. It's one thing to be pushing and shoving against CB's, it's totally another animal blocking DE and LB. TE position takes on a lot of holding and hitting from the defenders. Boldin not made for that.

Otherwise, he would just be a WR running TE routes. That's not deceptive.

The size has been proven to be a non issue by Delanie walker if you have the hands, route running, and work ethic. Boldin has all that and more. Take a look at the listed skills I presented in post #1.

Age and speed more than any other position are not as important when it comes to TE. Just look at all the current old, slow TE's playing in this league. Even Delanie has slowed.

Like I said it's not like there are an abundance of options out there at TE. Boldin is one WR that has shown he has solid run blocking when it comes to CB's whether big or small so if anyone has a shot it's a guy just like him. Even if he is just average or even slightly below it doesn't matter because we simply do not have anything better. Vance is a blocking TE with little catching skills, possession skills, route running ability, you name it. So if Boldin has the catching abilities already he can be below average or average and it's still better than anything we have at TE for receiving. If he should be average, above average or good at run blocking that's just an added bonus and one his blocking atWR has proven he has one of the best shots in the NFL of WR's to accomplish.

Delanie Walker took about 2 years to be a viable TE. You think Boldin going to take 1-2 to give up what he offered at WR to work on blocking and strength to go against DE and LB at this late stage of his career.

You might want to send Boldin a tweet on how he should convert to TE. Seems like it's a good idea in the offseason, on a fan forum.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Mar 29, 2016 at 8:23 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

That's not my point at all. Honestly. It wasn't even the first thing to cross my mind. In fact when looking at numbers Randle only got $1mil + $3mil in incentives he may or may not reach. Delanie got a 4yr/17.5mil deal so I simply averaged out numbers and looked at Boldin's previous contract to make sure it all fell right in line with WR numbers and pay scale.

The point in moving Boldin to TE once signed as WR would be to better utilize his skill set and help a need on our team.

I figured he would sit back in free agency but he still is never going to get anything better or considerably better than 2yr/$8-10mil at WR/TE. Even if the Pats suffer an injury they are going to offer about that or less. Otherwise they'll just go elsewhere like other teams.

If I'm Boldin, why pass on that deal now guaranteed in hand with a team you're familiar with that may draft a franchise QB... for the same deal later that may or may not happen for similar or less offered money?

He would see more passes and get open more if he played in the slot as a WR.

The Ealges Ertz caught 75 passes B. Celek caught 27. Their 3rd TE caught 3 passes.

Their #1wr had 85 catches #2wr 27 #3wr 23 #4wr 21 #5 wr 13
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Ummm no
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Boldin to TE

Kap to WR

Bowman to RB

Hyde to LB

Anthony Davis to NT

Why hasn't anybody thought of this before?

Seriously?

Not even remotely close. Boldin to TE is a smart and realistic option. You connect the current skill set to what best suits the player like all great coaches.

Hyde to LB, Davis to NT... Miller to FB..oh wait.

Please at least try to make it remotely possible so that your attempts at humor are funny.

How about you name 3 players in the past 10 years that have switched skill positions on offense. Go ahead. Scour the Internet. I'll wait.
I was thinking how we could improve our team with the free agents left over that could come in cheap. I want dependable and durable players only if at all possible obviously.

Boldin has a specific set of skills. These skills include great hands, ball security, run blocking, route running, tough mentality, very physical, very competitive, pinpoints ball in the air, redzone target, demands attention.

He reminds me of Delanie Walker with his height. I feel like Boldin at his current weight of 225 could play the tight end position or he could even put on a few pounds of muscle before the season starts and be at a safe and respectable 240lbs.

This would give us an option to pick up dependable hands that can run block, help the TE position so it's not such a need, and focus elsewhere. We could go TE late in the draft as well. We also completely eliminate his need for speed and it becomes much, much less of an issue.

We get a dependable target and TE for a couple seasons on the cheap as well that would resemble the play of Delanie except with better hands. This gives our QB a safety net and helps bail him out in tough situations too. Boldin is a mismatch against LB's and Safeties. The stats from last year are pretty similar to Delanie as well...

Boldin: 69 REC, 789 YDS, 11.4 AVG, 4 TD's
Walker: 94 REC, 1,088 YDS, 11.6 AVG, 6 TD's

I feel like Boldin's REC/YDS/TD's go up to about where Delanie's are. 79-89 REC, 879-949 YDS, 11.4 AVG, 6 TD's

Give me some honest feedback on this idea. I personally like it a lot.

The comparison between the 2 is far fetched because 1 of them is slow and the other has a problem dropping the ball.

This isn't madden
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Boldin is done. Got to get younger.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
if you want a wide out. then draft one who can return punts and kicks, if you want a tight end draft one
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
I think Boldin is done. Got to get younger.

and despite what some say.... going younger does not mean we are cheap skates. one thing does not always have to lead to another in my opinion.. I know you never said that mayo,your post just reminded me of that
We aren't going to sign many older guys. Chip wants to see what he has this year with the younger guys. So the more older guys we sign to start takes away playing time from the younger guys to be evaluated. We are pretty much going to tank 2016 to evaluate needs for 2017
Share 49ersWebzone