LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Sign Anquan Boldin to a 2yr/$8-$10mil contract to play Tight End ala Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Sign Anquan Boldin to a 2yr/$8-$10mil contract to play Tight End ala Delanie Walker?

Originally posted by SoCold:
Well the NFLPA would not allow a team to call a WR that's been a WR his entire career a TE just so a team could pay him less money. It doesn't work that way.

Possible to gain 10 lbs of muscle, maybe? Highly doubt Boldin would want to do that being he's a WR and 35 and looking to sign one of his last deals as a pro.

We have 4 TE's on the team. 1 decent WR and a bunch of question marks that have not started a full season at WR. We need WR's not TE's.

I realize this. It's not the money that's the deciding factor. It's his loss in speed and added age. I'm honestly thinking he has not got any looks or bites because even the Pats who could use a dependable slot WR looked elsewhere meaning WR is likely out the window as an option for Boldin at this point leaving him with one other option.

If we have him listed and playing TE, we can split him out wide, put him in the slot or motion him. It would be just like Delanie. A guy that can do a variety of things. The 4 TE's we have would not be nearly as effective as Boldin. Like I said, even if he isn't the best run blocker, it's not like McDonald can run block AND be great at catching. Boldin would be great for first downs there and sufficient enough at run blocking if not a pleasant surprise.

Plus it would be a huge mismatch at TE rather than an easy guy to shadow at WR.
[ Edited by MrMrMEanerMister on Mar 29, 2016 at 7:35 AM ]
Originally posted by FaTaL:
Delanie ran a 4.5 out of college

Yes, Delanie is a little quicker but at TE that is not the most important factor whatsoever. That's why I said Boldin's age and speed are disguised at TE rather than trying to play him at WR where it's more difficult concerning those same two factors.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by MrMrMEanerMister:
Well the NFLPA would not allow a team to call a WR that's been a WR his entire career a TE just so a team could pay him less money. It doesn't work that way.

Possible to gain 10 lbs of muscle, maybe? Highly doubt Boldin would want to do that being he's a WR and 35 and looking to sign one of his last deals as a pro.

We have 4 TE's on the team. 1 decent WR and a bunch of question marks that have not started a full season at WR. We need WR's not TE's.

I realize this. It's not the money that's the deciding factor. It's his loss in speed and added age. I'm honestly thinking he has not got any looks or bited because even the Pats who could use a dependable slot WR looked elsewhere meaning WR is likely out the window as an option for Boldin at this point leaving him with one other option.

If we have him listed and playing TE, we can split him out wide, put him in the slot or motion him. It would be just like Delanie. A guy that can do a variety of things. The 4 TE's we have would not be nearly as effective as Boldin. Like I said, even if he isn't the best run blocker, it's not like McDonald can run block AND be great at catching. Boldin would be great for first downs there and sufficient enough at run blocking if not a pleasant surprise.

Plus it would be a huge mismatch at TE rather than an easy guy to shadow at WR.

you can't just call him a TE per the rules of NFL.

it's why Jimmy Graham couldn't be called a WR. Same rules apply.
DW was a WR at a Div II college. I watched him play in person. He was clearly the best player on the field by a lot.

This and Boldin's got that same attitude and work ethic. Same height and better hands. Some run blocking, is smart, runs a quality route just lacks speed at this point but lucky for him it's not an issue at TE. Look at guys that have hands, run routes and serve as possession receivers at Te even in old age like Witten, Gates, etc..
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Boldin to TE

Kap to WR

Bowman to RB

Hyde to LB

Anthony Davis to NT

Why hasn't anybody thought of this before?

Seriously?

Not even remotely close. Boldin to TE is a smart and realistic option. You connect the current skill set to what best suits the player like all great coaches.

Hyde to LB, Davis to NT... Miller to FB..oh wait.

Please at least try to make it remotely possible so that your attempts at humor are funny.
Wait, he should make the move back to LB! That's where he played in college, right? This just makes too much sense.

Celek to DE

Reid to WR

Ian Williams to G

You take a player that has certain skills and apply them where applicable. Not hard to understand. With Miller he was better suited for FB with his skill set at the current point in his life and football. Same thing with Boldin.. His current skill set does not scream WR but rather TE.

So just sign him at WR and line his arse up at TE on the line or keep him outside once in a while.
At first I thought this was ridiculous, but tbh, if he can block at all, he'd be the best TE on this roster
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
At first I thought this was ridiculous, but tbh, if he can block at all, he'd be the best TE on this roster

For real. Plus Kaep has chemistry with him already and Boldin commands respect. He is dependable and DC's know he runs a clean route.

If we get a guy like Goff he would also serve as a safety net to help bail out our new QB.
Wait, he should make the move back to LB! That's where he played in college, right? This just makes too much sense.

Celek to DE

Reid to WR

Ian Williams to G

You take a player that has certain skills and apply them where applicable. Not hard to understand. With Miller he was better suited for FB with his skill set at the current point in his life and football. Same thing with Boldin.. His current skill set does not scream WR but rather TE.

Boldins skill set is as an aging slot reciever. there is not a single reason that he would change positions at 35. He is going to sit back and sign a deal after TC like many veterans in his position do. worst idea ever

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

So just sign him at WR and line his arse up at TE on the line or keep him outside once in a while.

Then please do the following.

A. See post #2 of this thread.

B. Lock this b***h up and move it to the Boldin thread.

C. LOL
Why you guys such a*****es? Instead of putting the guys idea down in an insulting manner just dont post in his thread.
You said it yourself. Aging slot WR (that not even the pats with Brady showed interest in) and that's exactly the type of WR's Brady has to have at this point in his career at his age. Still...nothing.

I figured he would sit back in free agency but he still is never going to get anything better or considerably better than 2yr/$8-10mil at WR/TE. Even if the Pats suffer an injury they are going to offer about that or less. Otherwise they'll just go elsewhere like other teams.

Why pass on that deal now guaranteed in hand with a team you're familiar with that may draft a franchise QB for the same deal later that may or may not happen?

Being a 35 year old with his skill set is the perfect reason to change positions. Just like a CB that moves to safety when they get older and slower.

I stand by my idea and worst case scenario I bring him in on a 2yr/$8mil deal and he doesn't work out at TE (which he would like Delanie) than we just play him as a dependable WR or trade him for a 7th later should teams suffer injuries and want him.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
Why you guys such a*****es? Instead of putting the guys idea down in an insulting manner just dont post in his thread.

Just trying to explain that his idea is not going to happen per the NFL rules. That's not being an a*****e that's just being real.
He doesn't have the size or the age to play TE. It's one thing to be pushing and shoving against CB's, it's totally another animal blocking DE and LB. TE position takes on a lot of holding and hitting from the defenders. Boldin not made for that.

Otherwise, he would just be a WR running TE routes. That's not deceptive.
Share 49ersWebzone