There are 212 users in the forums

Sign Anquan Boldin to a 2yr/$8-$10mil contract to play Tight End ala Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Sign Anquan Boldin to a 2yr/$8-$10mil contract to play Tight End ala Delanie Walker?

I was thinking how we could improve our team with the free agents left over that could come in cheap. I want dependable and durable players only if at all possible obviously.

Boldin has a specific set of skills. These skills include great hands, ball security, run blocking, route running, tough mentality, very physical, very competitive, pinpoints ball in the air, redzone target, demands attention.

He reminds me of Delanie Walker with his height. I feel like Boldin at his current weight of 225 could play the tight end position or he could even put on a few pounds of muscle before the season starts and be at a safe and respectable 240lbs.

This would give us an option to pick up dependable hands that can run block, help the TE position so it's not such a need, and focus elsewhere. We could go TE late in the draft as well. We also completely eliminate his need for speed and it becomes much, much less of an issue.

We get a dependable target and TE for a couple seasons on the cheap as well that would resemble the play of Delanie except with better hands. This gives our QB a safety net and helps bail him out in tough situations too. Boldin is a mismatch against LB's and Safeties. The stats from last year are pretty similar to Delanie as well...

Boldin: 69 REC, 789 YDS, 11.4 AVG, 4 TD's
Walker: 94 REC, 1,088 YDS, 11.6 AVG, 6 TD's

I feel like Boldin's REC/YDS/TD's go up to about where Delanie's are. 79-89 REC, 879-949 YDS, 11.4 AVG, 6 TD's

Give me some honest feedback on this idea. I personally like it a lot.
[ Edited by MrMrMEanerMister on Mar 29, 2016 at 6:24 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Why not just call him a WR and line him up where ever you want?

lol @ a 35 y/o 6-1 220ish ripped to the core WR being able to pack on 20 lbs of muscle in a view months. Not without eating a Barry Bonds breakfast, lunch and 4 dinners every day.

I like the creative thinking...I'm also ready to see what the young guys can do. This is a good year to see what we've got...Super Bowl in 3 years.
Originally posted by SoCold:

lol @ a 35 y/o 6-1 220ish ripped to the core WR being able to pack on 20 lbs of muscle in a view months. Not without eating a Barry Bonds breakfast, lunch and 4 dinners every day.

WR's get paid more and demand larger contracts.

Delanie is 31 and will be 32 this year, is 6'0, 255lbs. Anquan could easily put on 10 lbs of muscle. The guy has always been a top tier player physically. I said 20lbs as a ceiling but expect about 10 lbs. This would put him at almost 240 lbs.

Trust me, Boldin could play some TE. He has all the right skills. Even if he doesn't have the size he is a solid run blocker and it's not like we are fielding some amazing TE instead who can both catch and block. This would make things easier on our QB as well as McDonald who is more of a blocking TE.
[ Edited by MrMrMEanerMister on Mar 29, 2016 at 6:32 AM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
How about we actually get a for real TE who can run routes and catch the damn ball?

People always on this board always trying to move somebody to "H-Back" or TE.
Originally posted by Murphys1:
I like the creative thinking...I'm also ready to see what the young guys can do. This is a good year to see what we've got...Super Bowl in 3 years.

I'm on that too of course and have been but this one strikes me as a very realistic possibility and he could play the position. TE's don't have to be young or fast. That's the beauty of it.

The guy already has chemistry with our team as well.
Originally posted by Antix:
How about we actually get a for real TE who can run routes and catch the damn ball?

People always on this board always trying to move somebody to "H-Back" or TE.

lol. Okay genius who? If it was that easy it would be done already. Come on. lol

People on this board always so quick to try and shut down anyone else's idea.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by MrMrMEanerMister:

WR's get paid more and demand larger contracts.

Delanie is 31 and will be 32 this year, is 6'0, 255lbs. Anquan could easily put on 10 lbs of muscle. The guy has always been a top tier player physically. I said 20lbs as a ceiling but expect about 10 lbs. This would put him at almost 240 lbs.

Trust me, Boldin could play some TE. He has all the right skills. Even if he doesn't have the size he is a solid run blocker and it's not like we are fielding some amazing TE instead who can both catch and block. This would make things easier on our QB as well as McDonald who is more of a blocking TE.

Well the NFLPA would not allow a team to call a WR that's been a WR his entire career a TE just so a team could pay him less money. It doesn't work that way.

Possible to gain 10 lbs of muscle, maybe? Highly doubt Boldin would want to do that being he's a WR and 35 and looking to sign one of his last deals as a pro.

We have 4 TE's on the team. 1 decent WR and a bunch of question marks that have not started a full season at WR. We need WR's not TE's.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Delanie ran a 4.5 out of college
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by FaTaL:
Delanie ran a 4.5 out of college

DW was a WR at a Div II college. I watched him play in person. He was clearly the best player on the field by a lot.

Originally posted by MrMrMEanerMister:
lol. Okay genius who? If it was that easy it would be done already. Come on. lol

People on this board always so quick to try and shut down anyone else's idea.

You new around here?
Boldin to TE

Kap to WR

Bowman to RB

Hyde to LB

Anthony Davis to NT

Why hasn't anybody thought of this before?
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Boldin to TE

Kap to WR

Bowman to RB

Hyde to LB

Anthony Davis to NT

Does anyone know if Bruce Miller can play G?
Boldin to TE

Kap to WR

Bowman to RB

Hyde to LB

Anthony Davis to NT

Wait, he should make the move back to LB! That's where he played in college, right? This just makes too much sense.

Celek to DE

Reid to WR

Ian Williams to G
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Boldin to TE

Kap to WR

Bowman to RB

Hyde to LB

Anthony Davis to NT

Wait, he should make the move back to LB! That's where he played in college, right? This just makes too much sense.

Celek to DE

Reid to WR

Ian Williams to G

Hmm, I like it. Say don't we have a WR on the roster who played some QB in college?
Share 49ersWebzone