There are 132 users in the forums

What would it take for you to consider Chips first season a success?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Also like gold49er as noted above. Again in the end, I would be happy if we just looked functional....you know, as in a professional football team , something we never resembled last yr. That really isn't too much to ask, but is a million miles from how we looked last yr.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
top 15 offense, emerging defense full of well-coached young talent, beat Seattle at least once, convert third downs FFS.

This is what I am looking for, more so than wins per se. I expect to see a well prepared team that has some semblance of a game plan that takes advantage of the talent we have, that plays younger guys, and bounces guys from the starting lineup that don't produce. I don't want to feel like we are constantly getting out coached. With all due respect to Jim Harbaugh, I don't see him keeping pace with Bruce Arians and Pete Carroll over time unless he had a clear talent advantage, and even when he did, he still would take Ls (the December game in Seattle during the 2012 season). I feel like with Chip Kelly we have a fighting chance at being able to win the chess match against the Seahawks and Cardinals. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes in Philly.
Fix the QB position and put up hella points. Install a dynamic offense that can both run and pass at will. Bring the 49ers back to being an offense to salivate over again and groom us a couple Pro Bowlers
I want to still believe in the team by mid-season.
Expecting a chance to win instead of knowing they probably won't even be in it.
A RZ offense that scores instead of going backwards.
Originally posted by irishluder:
I would say anything more than 5-11 would be a success, we just dont have the talent anymore... its going to be an ugly year

I'm really hoping to see some improvements with the offense as the year moves on.

I haven't seen the talent level this low since 2004, thank god the draft is coming up.
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Originally posted by irishluder:
I would say anything more than 5-11 would be a success, we just dont have the talent anymore... its going to be an ugly year

I'm really hoping to see some improvements with the offense as the year moves on.

I haven't seen the talent level this low since 2004, thank god the draft is coming up.

So we did 5-11 last year with no talent but will will be the same even when we add more talent through the draft and patched worked the OL
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Mar 27, 2016 at 11:30 AM ]
Given the substantial holes on both offense and defense, too much mediocre talent, and the appalling lack of depth at a number of positions -- not to mention playing 6 games against NFC West opponents -- I'd consider four wins, with one against an NFC West team, both overachieving and a season success.

They're simply going to get steamrolled by most of their opponents this year, and it they don't give up on the field mentally, physically, and emotionally, that'll be a sign there's some coaching leadership, as a positive change.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Mar 27, 2016 at 11:50 AM ]
Not looking like the Keystone cops version of a football team would be an improvement.

I think anything over last years win totals would be ok as long as we cut down on the dumb penalties, didn't get blown out regularly, make opposing offenses at least work for TD's,and our offense moves the ball well.

I think we will be a better team, at least Kelly has been a damn HC,and has a vision. I don't know whether it is the right vision, but at least he doesn't look like the only thing on his mind is sausage on a stick with a pizza chaser when he is walking the sidelines.

I don't think next year is going to be measured, at least by me, in w-l totals, but in how much general improvement I see on both sides of the ball, and on special teams...which were certainly "special" last year.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
A) Offense jumps to top 15 in league
B) 1000 yd runner with 4.5 yd per carry
C) 60 plus catches from two different receivers
D) Defense improves against pass as year goes on
A top 15 offense in yards and scoring and a top 20 defense in yards and scoring. A visible path going forward whether or not we have our QB for the future on this year's roster.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
PLEAYOFFS!
  • Stud
The 49ers are one of three teams to not finish in the top 10 in terms of offense since 2004. It would be nice to finally accomplish that with Kelly
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I'm setting my standards very low. All I really want is not to be put to sleep by our boring play calling.
Here's what we won't do: and a few things we will do

no more 5 yd penalites for delay getting plays in

no more T.O.s , sometimes 2 in a quarter, to get plays in.

no more run on 1st, run on 2nd and pass on 3rd. We will be passing on any down, altho will have a very healthy running game. We got the horses for it.

way fewer 3 and outs.

will call certain plays to set up another play sometime thereafter

will not just be one target per play. There will be multiple ones requiring multiple reads.

will not have an OL even remotely like OL last yr in fecklessness. I bet Staley was afraid to tell anyone he played OL for the niners last yr. Even if one of our guys cannot block, chip will figure out a way to take advantage of that.

Chip will not stand on the sideline like a sphinx with his mouth open and a vacant look on his face. He will LOOK like a HC.

He will not throw tantrums every time we get flagged.

He will not throw 2 red flags in the first minute and a half of first qtr, thus ending any challenges remainder of game....harbaw did that once, and threatened to do it again

If someone on OL is getting beaten like a poor stepchild, Chip will NOT leave him out there all game to be embarrassed routinely , nor will he allow our QBs to get kilt. IF someone can't block he is coming out and someone else is going in.

Corollary: IF say our RG cannot bloc his man, he will not stay on the field. Chip may take the starters and switch them around but if a unit is not performing, expect that unit to be changed up. Days of watching martin/pears/devey not blocking their men are over. I know we have a long way to go on that, but that is what i expect. I will bet against all 3 of those men making the team...unless there has been a colossal reversal of blocking skills.

If we have an OL who just can't passblock, but he sure can't runblock, i fully expect him to be gone long before the final 53. Not so last yr.

If a QB cannot or will not learn the playbook, it will NOT be dumbed down, ever again. Corollary: that QB will not make the team.

If any QB thinks pumping iron will take the place of film study and learning the playbook, they will not be here at season's beginning.,,,unless we are trying to trade that Qb.

If we have a guy who habitually jumps offisides, O or D, look for that guy to be playing elsewhere if it does not stop. That is a confidence wrecker of the team. Means the player is NOT paying attn.

There will be no question as to whether chip knows any O or not. He does. Nobody will wonder if he ever coached before.

We will have some surprises, and we will not hear from the opponents D, "Hey it's a power sweep right." Those days are done. SEA will never do that again. NEVER.

We will not allow a DT to just kill us or a WR to just kill us and NOT readjust at halftime for whoever is doing the mauling.

OK, there's a start...add to it if you wish. Any or all of the above would be considered successes....little ones some , big ones others. But this team is NOT going to even remotely resemble the krapt we saw out there last yr. And chip will be half the equation but having a HC different from last yrs is the other half. That also in and of itself , was also a success.
Addition by subtraction(or deletion)...ie we get better because of one of the things that was here last yr, is not out there this yr.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 27, 2016 at 3:43 PM ]
6 wins
Share 49ersWebzone