LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 448 users in the forums

Why isn't there a Jerry Rice award in the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I mean his records receiving records may never be broken. He just may be the best NFL player to ever play the game. Not to mention the team awards that came with his individual success including Super Bowl Championships.

I think it is east coast bias that keeps or guys out of the picture for a lot of the awards and recognition.

I know in college they have the Fred Biletnikoff award, and I believe they have the Randy Moss award in college as well. Jerry Rice changed the game with his work ethic, attitude, and approach to the game. Why not honor him with a annual award in his name?

Your thoughts?
  • thl408
He probably has to die first, then they'll name an award after him.
Because you have to be GOAT. There can only be one
You'd never be able to hand it to the winner from all the stickum.
Originally posted by jedediahyork:

Funny! I wonder if the people out there who complain about stickum have ever felt a pair of receivers gloves that todays players wear? I admit I have no experience with stickum but those gloves are tacky as hell and have to fit better than stickum.
Originally posted by NinerG94:

Funny! I wonder if the people out there who complain about stickum have ever felt a pair of receivers gloves that todays players wear? I admit I have no experience with stickum but those gloves are tacky as hell and have to fit better than stickum.

I dunno but I used to laugh at all my teammates who put pine tar on their metal baseball bats back in high school.
Originally posted by thl408:

True, but you would think they would want him to present the award at least a few times first.

Might be waiting a while if his life expectancy is anything like his longevity as a player.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
What would you call it? And how would you win it?
  • Chico
  • Veteran
It's too early...it'll be awhile before he's honored & appreciated. Like 408 said, he will probably have to pass away first...like Walter Peyton

Originally posted by HERN:
What would you call it? And how would you win it?

The Jerry Rice Sticky Hands Award, sponsored by Stickum.

WR with the most receptions at the end of the season wins it.
  • thl408
Originally posted by glorydayz:

True, but you would think they would want him to present the award at least a few times first.

There's currently two NFL awards named after players: Deacon Jones award and Walter Payton award. Both awards didn't get those names until the the person it was named after died. But yes, it'd be nice if he can present the award.
The "you'll never be as good as me" award. Given to the runner up for mvp that season.

I dunno but I used to laugh at all my teammates who put pine tar on their metal baseball bats back in high school.

Pine tar does nothing but make a mess if you don't use the rosin with it. Now the 3M spray adhesive is the real deal, you can use it on wood, aluminum and composite bats.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Mar 25, 2016 at 8:49 PM ]

It wasnt Stickum, it was tack spray, and EVERY nfl WR back in the day used it to put the grip back on their gloves when the rubber grip wore off.

Florio tried SO hard to drag Rice through the mud for that, and it never took. Mainly because people arent dumb enough to think that he became the greatest ever because of some sticky spray. Or because everyone knew what he was talking about, and it was commonplace.

Joe Montana threw the best, most accurate timing throws in NFL history. He laid the football right to his WR in stride. There was no need for extra sticky gloves anyways.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Mar 25, 2016 at 9:25 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone