LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Logistics of Trading Kaepernick...?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Instead of getting a pick, why not trade him for a player or two. We all Baalke doesn't know how to draft so why not trade him for a proven player. (Ryan Clady, their middle linebacker, etc)

We have MORE THAN ENOUGH cap room to take on any player in a trade.
Originally posted by SoCold:
NFL radio said this morning the Broncos only have about $6.5m to work with right now. That's not going to land Kap.

Looking more and more like Sanchez will be their starting QB in September ...unless Baalke caves and give's Elway Kaep for a 5th
That's why they need to some how incorporate Ryan Clady, that would clear up some Cap space as well.

If they both can agree to restructure and we get a 3rd and Clady for Kap, i'm good with that.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
What I don't get is why everyone is so worried about April 1st. If Brock Osweiller and Sam Bradford are getting 18 mil/year deals, I don't understand who would be scared off by Kaepernick's contract. You get him for 11 mil this year and that includes and option to keep him if he returns to the 2012 form, if not you cut him with no future cap hit.

If he does restructure and you save 3 Mil or so, you also will probably lose the option for next year. If he does return to 2012 form then you are franchising him next year anyway and you end up losing more than the 3 mil you saved. In my mind the 3 million is like an insurance policy. If you don't think there is a possibility that you might want him for longer than one season you probably shouldn't be trading for him in the first place.
This is precisely why I don't want to trade him. His contract is great. If all they're going to get back is a late 3rd/early 4th, then it's better to gamble on him. If he pans out, you have him locked up for a handful of years at a great rate.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theduke85:
What I don't get is why everyone is so worried about April 1st. If Brock Osweiller and Sam Bradford are getting 18 mil/year deals, I don't understand who would be scared off by Kaepernick's contract. You get him for 11 mil this year and that includes and option to keep him if he returns to the 2012 form, if not you cut him with no future cap hit.

If he does restructure and you save 3 Mil or so, you also will probably lose the option for next year. If he does return to 2012 form then you are franchising him next year anyway and you end up losing more than the 3 mil you saved. In my mind the 3 million is like an insurance policy. If you don't think there is a possibility that you might want him for longer than one season you probably shouldn't be trading for him in the first place.
This is precisely why I don't want to trade him. His contract is great. If all they're going to get back is a late 3rd/early 4th, then it's better to gamble on him. If he pans out, you have him locked up for a handful of years at a great rate.
Who are you talking about? It can't be Kaepernick, he made $15 mil last year being as productive as a bottom 5 starter, those guys are paid around $5 mil. If his contract is great why do prospective trade partners want him to take a huge pay cut? Bradford and Osweiler got $18 mil per on recent contracts and teams won't pay Kap half that, what does that tell you?
Originally posted by BobS:

Who are you talking about? It can't be Kaepernick, he made $15 mil last year being as productive as a bottom 5 starter, those guys are paid around $5 mil. If his contract is great why do prospective trade partners want him to take a huge pay cut? Bradford and Osweiler got $18 mil per on recent contracts and teams won't pay Kap half that, what does that tell you?

It tells me that Bradford and Osweiler are overpaid or Kaep is underpaid.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

They want him to take a pay cut because

1. Denver, and someone correct me if I am wrong, has about $6.5 M in Cap space at the moment, LOL.That may change after some more restructuring, but it is what it is.

2. Cleveland wants a short term QB. They are going to draft Goff/Wentz and are looking at the future, long term.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Instead of getting a pick, why not trade him for a player or two. We all Baalke doesn't know how to draft so why not trade him for a proven player. (Ryan Clady, their middle linebacker, etc)

We have MORE THAN ENOUGH cap room to take on any player in a trade.

are you one of those people who think clady is better than staley?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by SoCold:
NFL radio said this morning the Broncos only have about $6.5m to work with right now. That's not going to land Kap.

Looking more and more like Sanchez will be their starting QB in September ...unless Baalke caves and give's Elway Kaep for a 5th

if he does, he should be fired immediately
Yea I'm thinking his market has dried up. Maybe Denver will do soothing but that's it. Fitz will go back to the Jets, RG3 will be Cleveland's stop gap. Clady is always hurt and not worth trading for.

Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea I'm thinking his market has dried up. Maybe Denver will do soothing but that's it. Fitz will go back to the Jets, RG3 will be Cleveland's stop gap. Clady is always hurt and not worth trading for.

Pretty much sums it up. Elway will try to call TB's bluff. If Elway gets desperate,it will probably won't happen until TC, if it happens at all. But by then, he would have to either trade a player, because the draft will be gone, or a a really good pick for next year. And at that point everyone would know he was desperate. That would be good for the future of the 49ers, bad for Denver to say the least. That is what happens when you hold on to a hand and lose. If he doesn't get desperate, then Kaepernick stays here.

Of course an Injury to a starter somewhere could change everything. Or if a projected starter just looked Godawful.Then again, they would have to be be desperate...

There is also the chance of course that Kaepernick wins Kelly's approval. Then nothing short of raping a team would be considered.
I'm thinking maybe we should strike a deal with the Browns at some point to trade Kaep there. The reason I say this is because teams know there are only 2 solid prospects at QB. The Browns may want Kaep more than RG3 and Wentz for their style. If we trade them Kaep I doubt they take QB #2 but would they stay put for one of the top 7 prospects or trade out after acquiring Kaep?

The Browns could still take Goff but it's highly unlikely with Kaep and McCown on their roster. McCown accounts for $4.5 million and Kaepernick would be $14 million. So they would have the usual $20 million or so already at QB. Pretty much guarantees they don't go QB at #2.

The odds of him doing well over there are slim. Which means at some point we could get him back in free agency should we feel we need him down the road for whatever reason. So I like getting the first look at Goff in the pro's then if need be revisiting the Kaep saga later down the road, probably at a much better price.

At this point we have two choices:

1.) Sit back and allow one of the 7 elite prospects to fall to us which is fine by me but may not be a QB.
2.) Trade Kaep to the Browns to hopefully stop them from feeling they have to take a QB in the 1st round.

I'm starting to really like option #2 seeing as how we have so much cap after not overspending in early free agency and we haven't reached the April 1st deadline on Kaep.

My proposed trade would be the following:

Browns Receive: Colin Kaepernick + Round 5/Pick 131 + Round 5/Pick 134
49ers Receive: Gary Barnidge + Duke Johnson + Round 6/Pick 176 + Round 7/Pick 223

This would make it easier to trade up to #4 at a much better cost with the Cowboys to grab Goff with both QB's hopefully still on the board and we'd be the best option for them because it would guarantee them one of the top 7 prospects. There are only 7 elite prospects this year.

Moving up from #7 to #4:

Cowboys Receive: Round 1/Pick 7 + Round 4/Pick 103 + 2017 3rd Round Pick + 2017 4th Round Pick
49ers Receive: Round 1/Pick 4 + Round 6/Pick 192

I value Barnidge at a high 3rd rounder (Pats gave a 4th for Bennett who has had similar numbers and Barnidge will be 31 this year)
DJ was taken in the 3rd but under performed running the ball. I value him at a high 4th.

This would all hopefully give us Jared Goff, 6'6 Gary Barnidge for Goff's safety net, and Duke for Goff to throw to out of the backfield.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Only because you are deluded into thinking Kap isn't bottom of the barrel trash. The rest of the world knows he is garbage, why don't you?

Only because you are deluded into thinking Kap isn't bottom of the barrel trash. The rest of the world knows he is garbage, why don't you?

Lol. Oh Bob.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MrMrMEanerMister:
I'm thinking maybe we should strike a deal with the Browns at some point to trade Kaep there. The reason I say this is because teams know there are only 2 solid prospects at QB. The Browns may want Kaep more than RG3 and Wentz for their style. If we trade them Kaep I doubt they take QB #2 but would they stay put for one of the top 7 prospects or trade out after acquiring Kaep?

The Browns could still take Goff but it's highly unlikely with Kaep and McCown on their roster. McCown accounts for $4.5 million and Kaepernick would be $14 million. So they would have the usual $20 million or so already at QB. Pretty much guarantees they don't go QB at #2.

The odds of him doing well over there are slim. Which means at some point we could get him back in free agency should we feel we need him down the road for whatever reason. So I like getting the first look at Goff in the pro's then if need be revisiting the Kaep saga later down the road, probably at a much better price.

At this point we have two choices:

1.) Sit back and allow one of the 7 elite prospects to fall to us which is fine by me but may not be a QB.
2.) Trade Kaep to the Browns to hopefully stop them from feeling they have to take a QB in the 1st round.

I'm starting to really like option #2 seeing as how we have so much cap after not overspending in early free agency and we haven't reached the April 1st deadline on Kaep.

My proposed trade would be the following:

Browns Receive: Colin Kaepernick + Round 5/Pick 131 + Round 5/Pick 134
49ers Receive: Gary Barnidge + Duke Johnson + Round 6/Pick 176 + Round 7/Pick 223

This would make it easier to trade up to #4 at a much better cost with the Cowboys to grab Goff with both QB's hopefully still on the board and we'd be the best option for them because it would guarantee them one of the top 7 prospects. There are only 7 elite prospects this year.

Moving up from #7 to #4:

Cowboys Receive: Round 1/Pick 7 + Round 4/Pick 103 + 2017 3rd Round Pick + 2017 4th Round Pick
49ers Receive: Round 1/Pick 4 + Round 6/Pick 192

I value Barnidge at a high 3rd rounder (Pats gave a 4th for Bennett who has had similar numbers and Barnidge will be 31 this year)
DJ was taken in the 3rd but under performed running the ball. I value him at a high 4th.

This would all hopefully give us Jared Goff, 6'6 Gary Barnidge for Goff's safety net, and Duke for Goff to throw to out of the backfield.

browns are signing rg3 and they'll probably draft goff. hue tried to get the Berkeley job and coach goff
Share 49ersWebzone