LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 358 users in the forums

Logistics of Trading Kaepernick...?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
A few quick questions regarding trading Kaepernick and how it would impact the Niners. Since there are many knowledgeable folks on the 'Zone, I'm hoping these could be answered:

1) Can Kaepernick be traded if he doesn't pass a physical?
Reports are he's rehabbing in Colorado, but since his salary is guaranteed for injury only, it's not a stretch to think he's not pushing himself to speed his recovery. I wouldn't blame him if he wants to cash in just to stick it to the Niners' front office. But then, that leads to question #2...

2) If Kaepernick is on the roster after April 1, then SF trades him, how much are the Niners responsible for (2016 and beyond)?
I'm sure AB81rules can answer this easily, I just can't!

3) If cut, does Kaepernick truly believe he'll get more than what Cleveland wants to cut his salary to?
We see this every year: player is asked to take a pay cut, he says no, gets released then signs for less than if he stayed with his former team. I guess it's pride, but the situation and rationale always surprises me. So if Cleveland wants to reduce Kaepernick's salary to $7MM-$8MM, does anyone here think any team would give him more than that as a free agent? Maybe the Rams would get close, but theyre already paying Nick Foles a hefty salary.

Thoughts?
1) Yes

2) $0

3) Not sure how to answer for Kap, maybe tweet him?
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Mar 20, 2016 at 10:15 AM ]
Cleveland is asking Kaepernick reduce his contract because they are also giving up a good pick...one they could've used to help rebuild their team.

If he was a free agent, I'm sure he would get more than "8 mill"..much more. From Cleveland or another team.

he could be in a situation where he has the Broncos, Jets, Browns, and the Rams *competing* with each other.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Mar 20, 2016 at 10:38 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Cleveland is asking Kaepernick reduce his contract because they are also giving up a good pick...one they could've used to help rebuild their team.

If he was a free agent, I'm sure he would get more than "8 mill"..much more. From Cleveland or another team.

he could be in a situation where he has the Broncos, Jets, Browns, and the Rams *competing* with each other.

Not likely, but possible. The 9er would ask for the moon from a division rival, so the Rams are not going to enter the equation realistically. One of those team will end up with Fitzpatrick. Probably the Jets because they want him back and no else is offering him more than they have. That really just leaves Denver and Cleveland. If Kaepernick doesn't like the trade, he doesn't have to agree to new contract terms, which can make things trickier. The wild card is Fitzpatrick. But I see no scenario in which the Rams are players.
Originally posted by mojave45:

Not likely, but possible. The 9er would ask for the moon from a division rival, so the Rams are not going to enter the equation realistically. One of those team will end up with Fitzpatrick. Probably the Jets because they want him back and no else is offering him more than they have. That really just leaves Denver and Cleveland. If Kaepernick doesn't like the trade, he doesn't have to agree to new contract terms, which can make things trickier. The wild card is Fitzpatrick. But I see no scenario in which the Rams are players.

oh I hear ya, I think the 9ers would give in and trade him to the Broncos before letting him be a free agent..and possibly going to the Rams..(or the Broncos could get impatient and just give up more"

but I was more just about answering that 3rd question.

"If cut, does Kaepernick truly believe he'll get more than what Cleveland wants to cut his salary to"

and was just explaining how/why he would feel he could get more than 8mill.

oh I hear ya, I think the 9ers would give in and trade him to the Broncos before letting him be a free agent..and possibly going to the Rams..(or the Broncos could get impatient and just give up more"

but I was more just about answering that 3rd question.

"If cut, does Kaepernick truly believe he'll get more than what Cleveland wants to cut his salary to"

and was just explaining how/why he would feel he could get more than 8mill.

Got it... But you are right, we would not just release him if we can get anything.
Got it... But you are right, we would not just release him if we can get anything.

I'd argue that once we've guaranteed his deal for $11.9M after 4/1 our asking price for Kap goes up since we then likely want to give him an offseason with Chip at that point. I mean who wants to waste money?
1)They can trade him whenever

2)as far as I know you take that players contract over when traded.

3) one option I threw out the other day is SF paying for some of his salary this year in order to make the trade happen...in turn ask for a conditional pick in 2017 (based on playing time) on top of the 3rd round pick his year.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

I'd argue that once we've guaranteed his deal for $11.9M after 4/1 our asking price for Kap goes up since we then likely want to give him an offseason with Chip at that point. I mean who wants to waste money?

I don't know about the price going up, but we certainly will hold fast at that point. Once we pay him, the other teams lose leverage with us.That money is spent. And that is then what Kaepernick's contract is for 2016. If they want to negotiate at this point so they can get him on their team in a hurry, and renegotiate his contract in advance, well that time is running out. Because once he and the 49ers get to Apr 1, then he reports Apr 4, and starts working with Chip. I don't see any benefit for us to bend at that point. I can almost guarantee that anything that comes out at that point will be all about how good he looks, how he is buckling down, how good things are going in the locker room...and it won't matter if any of it is true, the rumor mill will assure that is what is being said, and that is all other teams are going to hear. May be you are ight after all, if they are smart and run this the right way, the price may indeed go up.

If he was a free agent he'd get much more than 8mil? Seems like your implying the giving away of the draft pick is what's stopping teams from pulling the trigger on kaeeprnick. I think it's very known in this league that you need a QB in this league to win consistently. If anyone thought kaeeprnick was 100 percent the guy or was 100 percent worth the risk I don't think anyone would not give away a 2nd round pick let alone a 3rd and give him 12 mil a year.

Teams aren't interested in trading a pick for Kap and giving him money because they don't think he's that good. I think at this point it's ridiculous to try to make kaeeprnick out to be some good football player when right now it seems anyone could have him for a 2nd round pick and not one team wants him. Some posters can sit here and try to spew the same bull sh*t like they have a clue or are in the "know" however I think this past week just shows everyone how the nfl views kaeeprnick and the nfl opinion is the only opinion that matters

Originally posted by SundayTicket:

If he was a free agent he'd get much more than 8mil? Seems like your implying the giving away of the draft pick is what's stopping teams from pulling the trigger on kaeeprnick. I think it's very known in this league that you need a QB in this league to win consistently. If anyone thought kaeeprnick was 100 percent the guy or was 100 percent worth the risk I don't think anyone would not give away a 2nd round pick let alone a 3rd and give him 12 mil a year.

Teams aren't interested in trading a pick for Kap and giving him money because they don't think he's that good. I think at this point it's ridiculous to try to make kaeeprnick out to be some good football player when right now it seems anyone could have him for a 2nd round pick and not one team wants him. Some posters can sit here and try to spew the same bull sh*t like they have a clue or are in the "know" however I think this past week just shows everyone how the nfl views kaeeprnick and the nfl opinion is the only opinion that matters

Kaepernick is worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick at $8 million a year. He's not worth it at ~ $16 million a year over the next 3 years (excluding signing bonus which stays with the 49ers cap). There's no reason for him to take a ridiculous cap hit to $8 million a year when his contract will be guaranteed for 2016 April 1st.

Teams aren't willing to give up a 3rd round pick at whatever number Kaepernick was willing to reduce his salary to. They obviously don't think he's a franchise QB because $16 million a year and a 3rd round pick is not a whole lot to give up for a franchise QB.

The reality is that Kaepernick is probably getting paid a little more than what he's worth on the market and even if he takes a minor pay cut, teams don't want to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for that. I think the rumor that the Browns would give up a high 3rd round pick for Kaepernick at $8 million per year is giving fans unrealistic expectations for how much he's worth (because he's never going to agree to that pay cut).
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by SundayTicket:

Kaepernick is worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick at $8 million a year. He's not worth it at ~ $16 million a year over the next 3 years (excluding signing bonus which stays with the 49ers cap). There's no reason for him to take a ridiculous cap hit to $8 million a year when his contract will be guaranteed for 2016 April 1st.

Teams aren't willing to give up a 3rd round pick at whatever number Kaepernick was willing to reduce his salary to. They obviously don't think he's a franchise QB because $16 million a year and a 3rd round pick is not a whole lot to give up for a franchise QB.

The reality is that Kaepernick is probably getting paid a little more than what he's worth on the market and even if he takes a minor pay cut, teams don't want to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for that. I think the rumor that the Browns would give up a high 3rd round pick for Kaepernick at $8 million per year is giving fans unrealistic expectations for how much he's worth (because he's never going to agree to that pay cut).

Well, that is one way to look at it. And you may be proved correct. Other teams nay have also thought they were going to get in on a fire sale. And were surprised when the asking price didn't drop. I believe the closer we get to April 1, the more the Browns and Broncos, particularly the Broncos, start to sweat.
Kap aint worth s**t because of his attitude.

That's all it boils down to you wanna be GM's.
Trade him for a cheerleader!
Originally posted by NinerGod:
Kap aint worth s**t because of his attitude.

That's all it boils down to you wanna be GM's.
but real actual GMs want him, (whispering) even SB winning GMs
Share 49ersWebzone