LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

2016 Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by yung_prophet_one:
Not TOP..it's the amount of snaps the defense plays that kills them...they play more snaps than anyone else in the league which means there overall stats are probably gona drop...I actually like the chip hiring don't get e wrong but it does hurt the defense the AMOUNT OF SNAPS more they have to play

If you get 3 and outs you don't have to play many snaps.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Not TOP..it's the amount of snaps the defense plays that kills them...they play more snaps than anyone else in the league which means there overall stats are probably gona drop...I actually like the chip hiring don't get e wrong but it does hurt the defense the AMOUNT OF SNAPS more they have to play

It's the offense that does it to the defense man...no matter how many 3 and outs we get the offense is more quick pace..which means more plays for the offense and more plays for the defense...ughh u guys r frustrating me lol

It's the offense that does it to the defense man...no matter how many 3 and outs we get the offense is more quick pace..which means more plays for the offense and more plays for the defense...ughh u guys r frustrating me lol

IIRC, on average it amounted to about 7 snaps more per game on defense while he was in Philly. Not a huge difference for one game, especially since we'll be using rotations in odd and even fronts. D-line should be kept fresh.

Over the course of the season, that will definitely drop the defensive ranking. Let's say we allow 5 yards per play, which would be pretty good.

5 yards per play X 7 more snaps per game X 16 games = 560 more total yards given up due to up-tempo offense.

Based off last year's defensive ranks, 560 more yards given up would be enough to drop a team ranked 10th in total defense to 26th.

I've accepted the fact we're going to give up more yards, and it will hurt our defensive rank. I don't even care. It's not about total yards. It's about scoring differential, and to a lesser extent, yards differential. If we're outscoring and outgaining the opponent, I'm perfectly fine with it.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

IIRC, on average it amounted to about 7 snaps more per game on defense while he was in Philly. Not a huge difference for one game, especially since we'll be using rotations in odd and even fronts. D-line should be kept fresh.

Over the course of the season, that will definitely drop the defensive ranking. Let's say we allow 5 yards per play, which would be pretty good.

5 yards per play X 7 more snaps per game X 16 games = 560 more total yards given up due to up-tempo offense.

Based off last year's defensive ranks, 560 more yards given up would be enough to drop a team ranked 10th in total defense to 26th.

I've accepted the fact we're going to give up more yards, and it will hurt our defensive rank. I don't even care. It's not about total yards. It's about scoring differential, and to a lesser extent, yards differential. If we're outscoring and outgaining the opponent, I'm perfectly fine with it.

But if you look at time of possession it puts his teams at the bottom of the league and good teams never seem to be at the bottom of that list.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
But if you look at time of possession it puts his teams at the bottom of the league and good teams never seem to be at the bottom of that list.

That's a good point, but I'm willing to give Chip's offense a chance and I think it can work in theory.

There was a time when up-tempo teams didn't win in the NBA either. Times change. We've already seen teams like the Patriots and Colts use fast-paced offenses with great success, so we're really not breaking new ground here. Just moving toward what the game is gradually evolving into.

Pace doesn't matter as much as efficiency play-by-play. At the end of the day, all that really matters is acquiring talent and scheme fit.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 6, 2016 at 8:49 PM ]

The offense plays fast and so the TOP is going to be low for any given drive, but that puts stress on the opponent's D as well. His team was 10-6 his first two years which seems to indicate your assumption is incorrect.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 6, 2016 at 9:01 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The offense plays fast and so the TOP is going to be low for any given drive, but that puts stress on the opponent's D as well. His team was 10-6 his first two years which seems to indicate your assumption is incorrect.

Kelly summed up his philosophy regarding TOP pretty well in his intro presser:

"Well, I think everybody wants to just paint whatever it is with one brush. I think you have to look at really the intricacies of it. We get into the time of possession question and we've been in games where it was identical play snaps for us and our opponent. It was identical yardage for us and our opponent. It was identical first downs for us and our opponent. We won the game by seven, but they had the ball for 10 more minutes than we did. So, all I learned is that they stand around better than we stand around. It's still plays run.

Basically, he's not concerned with TOP at all. He wants to be more efficient and productive than the other team on a play by play basis.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

That is a fair point. The Eagles were not too bad for the first two years under Kelly.
Originally posted by thl408:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000233151/article/eagles-coach-chip-kelly-time-of-possession-overrated
"I've heard the question about time of possession, but we've talked about all the time -- time of possession is how much time can the other team waste," Kelly told the Philadelphia media Friday, via CSN Philadelphia. "Most games, we lose the time of possession, but it's how many snaps do you face?
But then,
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/12/03/so-far-plays-run-has-been-a-losing-battle/#urcm3R3wMGtMpjdA.99
Originally posted by Lurker:
We have no idea how Jim O'Neal is going to do as DC. It's a little early to be predicting. Having said that, we have a lot of promising young players. I do believe that we are an ascending defense (and offense) as far as personnel goes.

Once the season starts, If the offense can score, even if it's quick, it might energize the defense. I think it's better than coming back in after repeated four-and-outs (we remember those days).

My guess is that Chip is going to be as involved with the game planning for D as he is for O. Will he call some D during the game? IDK, but somehow I think so. Ergo, JoN and his lack of great accomplishments isn't going to matter. I see the D much like the O....doing as Chip wishes.

My boy...thank u for the assistance

I think with the players we have we should try a 4:2 front and trying Buckner on the edge , Tartt as a spy to give us 5 in the back feild
With the players we have, I'd try a 4:2 type front to maybe even try Buckner on the edge and have tartt as a 5th DB .
Ferocious
Originally posted by okieniner:
With the players we have, I'd try a 4:2 type front to maybe even try Buckner on the edge and have tartt as a 5th DB .
how would that be different ?
Originally posted by okieniner:
I think with the players we have we should try a 4:2 front and trying Buckner on the edge , Tartt as a spy to give us 5 in the back feild

Sounds like a Nickle package which is what we primarily ran last year.
Share 49ersWebzone