There are 239 users in the forums

Salary cap question

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • rtj03
  • Veteran
I am a bit disappointed we have not spent our money. I was hoping baalke would buy an oline today.

Anyways, if we do not use our +50mill of cap space does it rollover to next year 2017? So we could possibly have the most cap space available?
[ Edited by rtj03 on Mar 9, 2016 at 7:08 PM ]
Originally posted by rtj03:
I am a bit disappointed we have not spent our money. I was hoping baalke would buy an oline today.

Anyways, if we do not use our +50mill of cap space does it rollover to next year 2017? So we could possibly have the most cap space available?

Yes. We had the 2nd most this year. No doubt we'll be the Jags next year. Will we spend it? That's another topic.
NC, my understanding is that we have to spend 89 percent or it does not rollover. Am I wrong?
Anybody, AB?
I believe the cap is 155M-meaning we have to spend at least 138 M (89%). Meaning we NEED to spend 38 million at least. Now that we resigned Ian Williams, not sure how much is left. Another question that comes into play is that if Anthony Davis does come back, has his salary already counted against us or not, if not, you will need to add that.

In any event if we spend only 89% then we carry over 17 million and some change if it (cap) goes up next year. This year there are so many teams that have huge cap space, so we do not want to get into a bidding war. Let others get into a bidding war and overpay, then if we can position ourselves when not as many teams have cap space we will get a better chance of getting good players w/o over paying. BTW I read that we were not the 2nd team with the most cap, I read most reports of us at 5th or 6th.

Like everyone else I wanted to get some help so that we can be more aggressive in the draft. However, some of the salaries that have been given is outrageous. Osmele and Vernon? Os because he is going to placed us a tackle and Vernon as good and young and promising does not fit in our 3-4, he may end like Mario Williams, who was wasted in Buffalo. I still think we can sign some decent/good players. Some who are not currently FA, may end up being released.
There is no actual spending limit cap wise, the 89% thing is in cash payouts from 2013-2016, only for the unadjusted cap number each year, and we're ok right now, but we do need to do something to improve the team.

I honestly feel like Jed lied when he said we would be Aggressive this offseason.
survey says try again later
[ Edited by valrod33 on Mar 9, 2016 at 11:39 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
There is no actual spending limit cap wise, the 89% thing is in cash payouts from 2013-2016, only for the unadjusted cap number each year, and we're ok right now, but we do need to do something to improve the team.

I honestly feel like Jed lied when he said we would be Aggressive this offseason.

I think Jed has some experience at that
OK, AB, if we started with $60 mil and have to spend $54 mil, minus $6mil on Ian and $3mil(?) on Celek, we are down to 45 mil. If Trent didn't sign another player, we could roll that over to next yr? And not lose any of it?

If true, all well and good, but we are then putting the same 5-11 team back on the field. Does Jed tell Trent how much he can spend? I always wanted to know the answer to that.
AB?
  • rtj03
  • Veteran
What happens to the unused money that baalke doesn't spend this year?

I believe they will use it to hire the next GM.
  • Antix
  • Veteran

Jed dives into it like Scrooge McDuck
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

I think Jed has some experience at that

Tomsula is the next Steve Kerr
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
OK, AB, if we started with $60 mil and have to spend $54 mil, minus $6mil on Ian and $3mil(?) on Celek, we are down to 45 mil. If Trent didn't sign another player, we could roll that over to next yr? And not lose any of it?

If true, all well and good, but we are then putting the same 5-11 team back on the field. Does Jed tell Trent how much he can spend? I always wanted to know the answer to that.
AB?

The minimum payout in 89 percent of all cap spending per the 4 year block. Only the Raiders and Jaguars had not met that threshold, yet. So, we could ostensibly rollover whatever we have left on this year. What good all that cap space will he when your GM refuses to get in a bidding war with anyone, even though he has more ammo than 30 of the other bidders, who knows?
I think he is trying to spend some of it , we know they were in on Sean Smith. I think the problem has become obvious , nobody wants to come to this toxic mess.
Share 49ersWebzone