There are 251 users in the forums

Bryant Young or Justin Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Bryant Young or Justin Smith?

They were both awesome, but I'd put BY just a tick ahead.

Even back in Mizzou, Cowboy was a crazy strong guy and he kept getting stronger in the pros. I'm glad they were able to sign him from Cincy.

BY was a great player that could do it all on the line. He was a rock on some of those mediocre defenses that had to do battle with GB/Dallas.
Originally posted by susweel:
Both were damn good.

This
Young was pretty amazing. Smith was awesome. Young was the best D Lineman for a few years. I'm not sure if Smith was ever the best at his position, near the top but not clear cut above everybody else. Young's broken leg courtesy of Ken Norten Jr's head really hurt his legacy.

I pick both, both were amazing during their time.
its like asking which of you ears you like better ?
Originally posted by PacTiger:
Young was pretty amazing. Smith was awesome. Young was the best D Lineman for a few years. I'm not sure if Smith was ever the best at his position, near the top but not clear cut above everybody else. Young's broken leg courtesy of Ken Norten Jr's head really hurt his legacy.

Justin Smith had about 4 years of being the defacto best DL in the league.
Young was overrated.

Smith was the man!!!!
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Better than.

Originally posted by crabman82:
Vintage Bryant young in 1996 was something to see. Just as good as Sapp, randle or Kennedy in those days. Shame he doesn't get hof love

agree, john randle was pretty weak against the run and would flat out disappear against decent o lines.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Originally posted by PacTiger:

Justin Smith had about 4 years of being the defacto best DL in the league.

IDK if I agree. Suh and watt were considered better interior lineman, pre watt there was haynesworth and other guys getting headlines as the perceived best. Ngata and Wilfork were beasts during the smith years.
[ Edited by PacTiger on Apr 1, 2016 at 5:36 PM ]
Neither answer is wrong. I think BY had the better overall career, but Justin was better for a shorter period of time (2009-2012)
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Neither answer is wrong. I think BY had the better overall career, but Justin was better for a shorter period of time (2009-2012)

Bewm

Young got a ring doe
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Haley

cedrick number 86 was better than any of them

Leo was simply the greatest of All-Time. Played 14 seasons and never missed a game due to injury. Nomellini played in every 49ers game for 14 seasons, 174 regular-season and 266 pro games in all. During his career he played both defensive and offensive tackle, winning all pro honors at both positions. He was selected to the All-NFL team six times, two years on offense, four years on defense. Nomellini was named to the NFL's all-time team as a defensive tackle. In 1969, Nomellini was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and in 1977, the College Football Hall of Fame.
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Haley

cedrick number 86 was better than any of them

Leo was simply the greatest of All-Time. Played 14 seasons and never missed a game due to injury. Nomellini played in every 49ers game for 14 seasons, 174 regular-season and 266 pro games in all. During his career he played both defensive and offensive tackle, winning all pro honors at both positions. He was selected to the All-NFL team six times, two years on offense, four years on defense. Nomellini was named to the NFL's all-time team as a defensive tackle. In 1969, Nomellini was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and in 1977, the College Football Hall of Fame.

Excellent post, thanks.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Young got a ring doe

Yup and a lifetime 49er
Bryant Smith
Share 49ersWebzone