LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 373 users in the forums

The Million dollar question?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm actually really excited for the Chip Kelly era. The 49ers are flush with about 60 million in cap space,a plethora of draft picks and a young roster with some good talent on it. Can the 49ers attract free agents without having to outbid other teams? Is the front office stigma going to mean that Baalke has to significantly over pay for free agents?
I think the market is going to dictate that any free agent is going to be overpaid. There is over $1 billion in cap space available across the league. Teams like the Jags and Oakland have substantially more money than even the 49ers. The question is how ridiculous the contracts are going to have to be.
There are so many teams that didn't spend last year and pretty much have to this year....dudes are going to be getting over paid all over the damn place.
If the price isn't realistic to sign any good players this off season, I'd be more than willing to look to sign cheap alternatives, focus on moving up in the mid rounds of the draft, to acquire quality over quantity, and roll over a lot of money if we have to for next year. That's not the ideal plan, but it would not be in the best interest of this team to drastically OVERPAY when we're most likely not going to be extremely competitive this year anyways.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
I'm actually really excited for the Chip Kelly era. The 49ers are flush with about 60 million in cap space,a plethora of draft picks and a young roster with some good talent on it. Can the 49ers attract free agents without having to outbid other teams? Is the front office stigma going to mean that Baalke has to significantly over pay for free agents?

No one wants to come here. It'll take a lot of money. Anyone that comes here knows they're gonna be part of a s**t team who's owner and GM behave like 14 y/o girls.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:

No one wants to come here. It'll take a lot of money. Anyone that comes here knows they're gonna be part of a s**t team who's owner and GM behave like 14 y/o girls.

All the money and draft picks in the world won't help Yorkie dig us out of this mess.
Maybe if the Niners were the only team with that much cap room. But as it stands now there are 5 teams with more cap room and 17 teams with more than 30 million in cap space. It will be a very competitive market for the top notch FAs.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
There are so many teams that didn't spend last year and pretty much have to this year....dudes are going to be getting over paid all over the damn place.

Agree - happens every year.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Id be happy if we got a stud olineman and Wilkerson. If you think bout it..its kinda unlikely.
Wilkerson is probably getting franchise tagged, so he's out of it. I wouldn't mind us signing Sean Smith and Evan Mathis, and be aggressive in the draft moving up in the early to mid rounds.

Everyone says how bad the 49ers ownership and GM are (true). Except for a handful of franchises, NE, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Denver maybe one or two others the rest of the league is in the same boat as the Niners.
  • frenz
  • Veteran
What about vet defenders looking to post career high numbers before retirement? The guaranteed high snap count could be seen as a positive for landing with the Niners.

I might be reaching a bit here.
This off season is going to very interesting to say the least. I'm in the boat of getting rid of Kaepernick, and turning the page. Hopefully we can land a 2nd or 3rd for him in this draft, or in next years draft. The key will be not taking that 11.9 million dollar hit by him being on the roster April 1. Now if he can't pass a physical by then, hopefully he restructures his deal in the sense that the 11.9 million isn't guaranteed until like week 1 or the regular season. This way we can still trade him away before the season, and he'll be able to pass a physical for his new team by then.

As far as FA, I'm not for vastly overpaying just for the sake of doing it. Most likely we're not going to contend for the division title this year, and a wild card spot might be an absolute best case scenario, but not likely to do anything in the playoffs if we were lucky enough to get there. Thus with that in mind, I would be trying to get young guys in FA that want to be here for the long haul, if none of that presents itself with a fair value, then I'd look to sign someone like Mathis to solidify our line for the short term, while we figure out what we have at guard in Martin, Thomas, Tiller and Silberman. I'd try for an elite DB like Sean Smith, but if he's to $$$, then I'd look more to being aggressive in the draft moving up in the early rounds to net quality over quantity. Rolling over a ton of $$$ for next year, when we'll have a better idea of what we need, and what we have in this new regime would make a lot of sense to me.
Share 49ersWebzone