Originally posted by Joecool:
I hope Chip takes it to the next level...with our defense. I want Chip to design attacking offense and practice it with our defense from their defensive formations. Just imagine, our defense gets an interception or fumble recovery and it is a clean pick or recovery where the defensive player is able to advance the ball in the other direction.

So, because a defense practiced this, the instant this situation occurs, the defender with the ball immediately runs backward or sets while the other defenders immediately get into an offensively attacking formation be it a wedge or a planned lateral.

Why not maximize turnovers and practice them as a scorable play? Defenders right now are happy just to get a INT or recover a fumble but why not instill and instinct where those plays should be more than that? If practiced properly, I would not be surprised if a defense gets a TD on 33% of its turnovers forced.

It is no different than a defense practicing stripping the ball or the strip sack. Take us outside the box. I'm so over this, "that's what we have always done" crap. Warriors, Spurs and Patriots are the only teams that don't do things because that's how it's always been done approach.

In one of the coaching Xs and Os videos I watched on the Eagles website he mentioned that he trains the defensive players to all run as fast as they can to the ball as soon as the play develops in case of a loose ball. One side effect of this that I hadn't considered before reading your idea is that they probably would be in a fairly good position to set up a wedge if a player comes up with the ball.