LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Eagles Fan Perspective: 8 Points

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Thank you for the intelligent perspective. I too think he'll do well with our Niners. Good luck to the Eagles next season. Hope you crush the Cowboys
A thank you to the OP for taking the time to make a good post regarding Kelly. I wasn't receptive to Kelly being the HC initially, going by mostly media perception. But having Tom Gamble, a former 49ers and Eagles staffer, is better than anyone to give the inside info on Kelly to Baalke without the media BS.

I think without Gamble previous experience with both Baalke and Kelly, the connection of Kelly to the Niners may not be so immediate. With Gamble coming back to the Niners, it was Kelly from the start. Shanny and Jackson were just that --interviews. Football wise this is a very good fit for the Niners, especially between Baalke, Gamble, and Kelly.

I'm also skeptical of Kelly's defense, but lets wait and see...

With regard to Pederson, I've paid attention to the Chiefs the last 3 years, because of Alex Smith. I think Pederson will bring a flavor of Andy Reid back to the Eagles. If the Chiefs is any indication, you guys are getting a very sound WCO style. Pederson is also a former NFL qb, they usually make a very good OC.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 19, 2016 at 8:49 AM ]
Great post. I was kind of in between for the hiring of Kelly. After reading that, and knowing that there were some Eagles fans upset Kelly got fired(one of my closest friends personally), I feel much more confident in it especially since he's being asked to just coach.

As for Pederson, well, he should essentially be Andy Reid 2.0 if all things go well.
Originally posted by BuZzB05:
I really hate a Cowboys team. I hope you must beat a Cowboys games. Good luck for Eagles team.

This
  • MikeD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fister30:
I'm hopeful for chip but the eagle's stats were aided by bad NFC east defenses. But anything is better than the 49ers offense of the last few years.

6 games in your division compared to 10 other games against everyone else. Think the division thing is a little overrated.
Originally posted by frenz:
I don't talk about it much because I don't think it's any kind of big deal, but I myself have mild aspergers. I definitely see it in Chip, have thought so for a while. I was hesitatant to mention it before because people can be rather uncomfortable about autism. It really isn't a big deal.

My bro has a mild form of aspergers as well. My mom has spent alot of time working with autistic children for a long time as she works for one of the best autistic doctors in the state of VA. So I have been around it a lot and I have done a lot of charity work for autism as well and I can honestly say some of the most amazing people I have ever met were autistic. Just some very inspiring people that were highly intelligent.
Thank you for taking the time to make an account and make this excellent well thought out post. We have needed an offensive boost for a decade plus now. I'm not worried about the offensive side of the ball. I know that will improve greatly. I just worry if the defense can be just good enough to win games. I really hope the 9ers emphasize the defensive side of the ball in free agency and the draft as I'm sure Kelly can make a great offense out of what we already have.
In a lot of ways I felt we got Harbaugh back when Chip kelly was hired. Kelly and Harbaugh are a different breed and can rub overly sensitive people the wrong way. After I heard Lurie's post firing speech of Kelly and the whole "we want a coach that is socially intelligent" I almost spit up my coffee in laughter. I thought Jed was a weak, overly sensitive owner until I heard Lurie. I'm sorry, but "socially intelligent", well that's just "socially retarded". This is football, and you have to be tough in the NFL, both physically and mentally. I think it was a mistake to fire Harbaugh, but Lurie firing Kelly, well that just might give Jed York and the 49ers another chance.
A couple more points:

Chip will never fail to answer the question, "Why?"

Why are we running the offense so fast?
Why are we having a hard practice the day before a game?
Why the hydration monitors and smoothies?

Chip thinks very scientifically when it comes to the game, and you can see a lot of principles of Army Method in his Training Camps. Football players, generally, have been pampered for most of their lives and told their the greatest thing in the world and this is where I think there was a slight disconnect. Players like LeSean McCoy and DeSean Jackson, who both had a lot of influence in the locker room, openly questioned the extent to which Chip "trained" his team. And as we all know, Shady and DJax were eventually ousted and then came the. . .

"Chip can't handle superstars"
"Chip's ego doesn't want any strong leaders questioning him."
"Chip is a tyrant."

Or the best one, "Chip is a racist".

Whereas, none are true. There is just a philosophy that Chip takes very seriously. And this is the difference between two mindsets.

1. Fixed Mindset
2. Growth Mindset

A fixed mindset believes they have arrived. They are at the pinnacle of their skill and just need to maintain their talents and all will be well. Then there is the growth mindset, which is the mindset that you can always do something to get better and you will do anything in your power to make it happen. And Chip wanted a team that channeled the growth mindset. And this is where the "Chip can't handle superstars" bologna grew from because, sadly, the majority of superstars have a fixed mindset. As did DeSean and LeSean. And if DeSean and LeSean, two influential voices in the locker room, aren't taking all of Chip's methods seriously then eventually, in time, neither will the young guys. And Chip saw this, and nipped it in the butt.

And I will leave you all with two abstract pictures that will represent Chip Kelly and his coming times as your HC. And I could tell you how these two pictures relate to Chip Kelly's ways, but it would be more useful for you to make the correlation and connections on your own.

[ Edited by Eagles_Fan on Feb 19, 2016 at 9:47 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
well, if the City of Brotherly Love feels like they're better off with Doug Pederson, so be it..

But, I'd like to revisit this topic after 3 years and see where we all at..

Originally posted by 9moon:
well, if the City of Brotherly Love feels like they're better off with Doug Pederson, so be it..

But, I'd like to revisit this topic after 3 years and see where we all at..

It's best for Philly and for Chip. The breakup was unavoidable. The environment was toxic and both parties needed a new beginning.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Just remember this; regardless of your genius, you still have to work with people. Kelly said, the one thing he learned from his experience (aka firing in Philly) was that he needs to communicate (and listen) more. That's something Harbaugh didn't learn.

True that
Chip's got some fresh ideas. At this point in his career he knows what works.

If the players don't buy in right away, Bowman will keep that locker room straight.

At the very least, Chip is going to make them work and is not interested in drinking buddies.
[ Edited by socalniner on Feb 19, 2016 at 10:33 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Thanks, you just gave me a half erection.
Eagles_Fan has written a well thought out insightful post, so kudos for that.!

He touched on several areas I was concerned about over the Kelly hiring here, and gave some insight I either didn't have, or gave less emphasis to. But a couple of the things he brought up still give me reason to be concerned going forward... Full disclosure here, I was probably one of the most vocal and virulent anti-Kelly guy I know of. Just so you get my take on this. And I am definitely still n the " lets see how this goes" camp.

While Kelly's biggest struggle internally was widely reported to be Howie Rosen, and I presume this to be a fact, why do we think he will get along any better with Paraag Marathe? Paraag is also not a "football guy" and is not reported to have any better inter personal skills than Rosen, lol. Aa a matter of fact most reports put Paraag as a sub zero on both counts, not being a "football" guy, and getting along with people. While Paraag is no longer in exactly the same position, he will still be handling contracts. Supposedly Gamble will be a moderating influence, and maybe Kelly can communicate better through him but that remains to be seen.

I can see the Aspergers thing now that it is in discussion. No one here is a trained doctor , to my knowledge, but it certainly would explain some things. And it actually explains how Kelly can come across so brilliant, as an excellent interview, and have the image he can't communicate well with his players and others. It would also explain the issue he had with Lurie. For example, It was widely reported that Kelly insisted on running his regular schedule, interfering with the Browns long standing Holiday celebration, and that Lurie was incensed by his intransigence, which he didn't understand. I thought earlier it was because Kelly was just a jerk. That thinking was probably incorrect. Kelly may have just been so focused on running the football team he just lost sight of, or didn't consider, the emotional issues around that with Lurie, and the team.

Kelly is a complicated person as many brilliant people are, but he has shown the ability to learn and adapt from his mistakes. Many other coaches do not change anything in the way they go about running their operations....so there is a lot of room for improvement, especially when someone has admitted their past mistakes and shown a willingness to try to do a better job.

I don't believe for a second the racist crap that has been thrown out there.

I really enjoyed the notes about all the different players who have career altering numbers when they played for Kelly as opposed to other coaches. I had focused on well his QB's do, but Eagles_Fan mentioned it is more than just QB's that flourish under Kelly's system and tutelage.

So we will see how this plays out, but I enjoy reading posts that make me think, and change my perspective. Even if my concerns still run deep!
[ Edited by mojave45 on Feb 19, 2016 at 10:44 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone