LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

49ers hire Dana Bible as senior advisor

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He is another set of eyes that is well versed in a short quick passing offense. His experience with the WCO goes back decades so its not unreasonable that he might be able to contribute to gameplanning...etc.

Arians brought in Tom Moore for a similar purpose.

He was also Russell Wilsons OC when he was at NC st.
Originally posted by Niners816:

He has a good reputation for working with QBs.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
WCO guy from back in the day. Worked at Cincy right after Walsh left. Was OC at Stanford and also worked as OC with the Iggles under Ray Rhodes.

I brought him up earlier as a guy to fill out a coaching staff with. Experienced and has a bright offensive mind.

The Eagles hired Bible to run his version of the short passing offense long identified with Bill Walsh and with the misleading ``West Coast'' moniker. As Bible pointed out, Walsh developed many of his own ideas while working for Brown and the Bengals as an offensive position coach from 1968 through 1975. Bible, then a fan and schoolboy star in Cincy, watched that offense evolve.

Later, during Bible's two years on the Bengals' staff, Brown himself explained what was going on.

``It was fascinating to learn the whys and wheres of this offense from Mr. Brown,'' Bible said. ``Basically, it came from an expansion team trying desperately to make first downs. The Bengals didn't have a great quarterback with a strong arm then. They didn't have a great offensive line, so they couldn't just run over people.''

The Bengals survived with the short passing attack. Ken Anderson and then Boomer Esiason eventually made that attack more potent. Walsh moved on to San Francisco and, with fellows named Joe Montana and then Steve Young, raised the whole thing to an art form.

Walsh's system, in all of its variations, has become the dominant style of offensive football in the NFL. Mike Holmgren coaches a form of it in Green Bay, Mike Shanahan a different style in Denver. When Rhodes, a Walsh apostle, came to Philadelphia, he hired Jon Gruden to run a Walsh-style offense. When Gruden left to become coach of the Oakland Raiders last winter, the Eagles quickly tapped Bible, the offensive coordinator at Stanford.

``I learned a long time ago that you don't always see the next move coming,'' Bible said. ``So I can't say it was a surprise exactly. It was a key time for recruiting at Stanford, so I was focused on that task. I got a phone call asking if I was interested, and here I am.''

Bible finds himself in a unique situation. Gruden was respected enough to move on to a head coaching position, yet the Eagles seem more than ready for a change. They have a young quarterback in Bobby Hoying. Ricky Watters is gone. The offensive line will again be markedly different.

With Hoying going into his first full season as a starter, and with a rookie left tackle and a new coordinator, the Eagles' offense will require time to develop and grow. Even if things go very well, those elements will take a couple of seasons to come together. At the same time, Rhodes is in the fourth year of his contract, working under the watchful eye of Tom Modrak, the team's new director of football operations.

Bible's upbeat approach may help speed things along. The coach places a huge emphasis on simplifying the offense for his quarterback.

``By the time Bobby reaches his back foot, he should know where to go with the ball,'' Bible said, standing up and mimicking the quarterback's three-step drop. ``It's look here, yes or no, look there, yes or no, and then boom.

``You have to remember the quarterback has about three seconds to get back there and make a decision. Three seconds, with people running all around him. My job is to make the decision as easy as possible. At the same time, you have to make sure the other 10 players are where they should be so the play looks as much like that as possible.''

http://articles.philly.com/1998-07-02/sports/25736227_1_grad-assistant-football-and-basketball-coach-graduate-assistant#sthash.ENODbCzC.dpuf

Originally posted by Niners816:

He has a good reputation for working with QBs.

I think it's a pretty good get. It's pretty obvious to me that Chip likes tohave the short passing game of what we would call a more traditional WCO as a part of his pro scheme. You could see the Shurmer influences in philly and i think Dana will continue to provide this type of voice in his role here.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Feb 17, 2016 at 7:01 PM ]
His pedigree is fascinating, and sounds like a terrific hire.

One question.. .how do the plays get called and how does the game plan get drawn up? Ie, we aren't going to have one guy calling run plays, another call passing plays, and a third guy call the play...are we. Because last time that was tried it failed miserably. Come game time, I want my OC/ HC calling the plays... Not some underlings
How exactly will this work? Anybody, Phoenix?.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
His pedigree is fascinating, and sounds like a terrific hire.

One question.. .how do the plays get called and how does the game plan get drawn up? Ie, we aren't going to have one guy calling run plays, another call passing plays, and a third guy call the play...are we. Because last time that was tried it failed miserably. Come game time, I want my OC/ HC calling the plays... Not some underlings
How exactly will this work? Anybody, Phoenix?.

Probably the way the Cards run it? Lots of people involved in the offensive gameplan, Arians still calls all the plays.

Kelly will call the offense but you will have people like Modkins, Day, Bicknell, Bible and Rathman involved with the gameplanning.
Hallelujah.
Will the defensive coordinators be able to read and understand him?
Great move by Chip/49ers
Everyone message Steve Logan oversaw Ryan's development.

Originally posted by CityKing415:
Gods on our side now.

Lol. I don't know why this made me laugh.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by CityKing415:
Gods on our side now.

Lol. I don't know why this made me laugh.

Maybe he means Hermes ,Nike and Athena.
So if Bible is a WCO disciple , does this mean Chip will tweak his offense to include some WCO elements ?? ...I'm hoping he adds some power running schemes for short yardage situations
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
So if Bible is a WCO disciple , does this mean Chip will tweak his offense to include some WCO elements ?? ...I'm hoping he adds some power running schemes for short yardage situations

Kelly's scheme already has WCO elements.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Kelly's scheme already has WCO elements.

I guess I was referring to more plays with the QB under center, tighter formations with a base offense ...he seems to utilize those 2 TE spread sets out of the shotgun the majority of the time, rarely did I see a FB and TE on the field at the same time
Share 49ersWebzone