There are 275 users in the forums

What's with all the "Cut Ahmad Brooks" talk?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
If the Niners draft Myles Garrett, they'll have 3 starting-caliber OLBs.

Would they finally do the right thing and move Brooks to ILB if they got Garret?

No way, cut him and put that money towards another pass rusher. Draft an ILB in the draft, we should be able to get a good one that slides on top of the third. That is one thing that's nice. Get such good positioning on guys that slide.

What if they don't do that? What if they draft Garrett instead of an ILB? What do they do with Brooks, then?

Perhaps I'm misunderstood. I wanna draft Garrett, cut Brooks and sign a OLB in FA(unless they plan on double dipping in the draft)...

Then draft an ILB in the 3rd/4th.

Would they finally do the right thing and move Brooks to ILB if they got Garret?

No way, cut him and put that money towards another pass rusher. Draft an ILB in the draft, we should be able to get a good one that slides on top of the third. That is one thing that's nice. Get such good positioning on guys that slide.

What if they don't do that? What if they draft Garrett instead of an ILB? What do they do with Brooks, then?

Perhaps I'm misunderstood. I wanna draft Garrett, cut Brooks and sign a OLB in FA(unless they plan on double dipping in the draft)...

Draft Garrett and sign a FA OLB?

You realize Garrett would play OLB, right? If the team drafted Garrett, there's no reason to think that Lynch & Garrett wouldn't be the starting OLBs.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Nov 7, 2016 at 11:10 PM ]

You realize Garrett would play OLB, right? If the team drafted Garrett, there's no reason to think that Lynch & Garrett wouldn't be the starting OLBs.

Lynch is a FA after next year and I wanted to try for a 3 headed monster approach...not to mention if someone goes down you have insurance.

So Garrett,Lynch, for example Melvin Ingram. I also would like to re-sign Ray-Ray and someone like Kiko Alonso to go along with Bow. I think our LBs would be set. As far as NT goes, curious to know if Ian W./Dorsey are coming back, if not I'd take one in the third(after trading up from our early 4th)) after going QB with the second pick, WR with our third.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Nov 8, 2016 at 1:18 PM ]

Lynch is a FA after next year and I wanted to try for a 3 headed monster approach...not to mention if someone goes down you have insurance.

So Garrett,Lynch, for example Melvin Ingram. I also would like to re-sign Ray-Ray and someone like Kiko Alonso to go along with Bow. I think our LBs would be set. As far as NT goes, curious to know if Ian W./Dorsey are coming back, if not I'd take one in the third(after trading up from our early 4th)) after going QB with the second pick, WR with our third.

Given how bad the play is on defense generally and people want to cut Brooks? I can't see SF cutting brooks unless they get two more guys in that are better.
Cutting Brooks would only make sense if there were better OLB available and the team had cap restraints. Since neither of those things are currently the case there's no harm in keeping him around.
We'd save 6-7 million if we cut him and can put that money on another OLB that's younger unless staff feels he has one more good year in him subbing in for Lynch&garrett if we get him.

Who are the top olbs in the draft and what rounds are they projected to go?

Anyone?
Sooooooo... off to the NFL Talk forum soon?

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/8/25/16203138/49ers-cut-ahmad-brooks-linebacker-depth-chart-eli-harold
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Aug 26, 2017 at 6:09 PM ]
Too bad we couldn't have traded him for a Guard.
Good thread. I loled. Would read again

9/10.
Wonder if he's talked to any teams yet.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Packers are signing LB Ahmad Brooks to a 1-year deal that can be worth up to $5M, source said. Another(!) GB free agent signing coming.
Share 49ersWebzone