LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

What's with all the "Cut Ahmad Brooks" talk?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Seriously.

Ya, the guy had some run-in's last year but if we want to talk production this guy is about as consistent as it gets year in year out.

Since he became a full time starter 7 years ago he has averaged 40 tackles and 6.5 sacks per year. Those kinds of numbers are going to get Olivier Vernon of the Dolphins 15 mil per year.

In everyones mocks they all have us cutting Brooks. I just don't see it. First of all we will have 50+ mil in cap space even if we keep Kaepernick. Secondly, if a team cuts a productive veteran generally they need to replace him with someone as good or better. I don't see that happening this year. A 2nd round rookie will not be able to come in and start. We have no-one on the roster who can take over for Brooks snaps as well.

So unless we can find someone who can set the edge as good as Brooks and offee his pass rush for his relatively decent contract I cannot see him getting the axe. So stop the madness.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Because he's the 2nd highest paid player on the team.

2014 49ers
Brooks 13 games 30 tackles 6 sacks
Skuta 10 games 33 tackles 5 sacks

Brooks 14 games 42 tackles 6.5 sacks
Skuta (JAX) 13 games 40 tackles 1.5 sacks

49ers save over $7m in cap space if they let him go post June 1st.

Team could have cut Brooks last year and locked up Skuta for 4 years with roughly the same production. Skuta is 2 years younger than Brooks.

Now they either keep him and pay his $6.5m base or cut him and use the money to sign one or two other guys? Is he worth $1m a sack?
Brooks is on the downside of his career. We can easily sign a replacement. He would just be taking up a roster spot this season and eating an enormous amount of cap space while not earning it. Go heavy on OLB in the draft and supplement with a FA pickup.
Because he has noticeably slowed down. At least 3 of his sacks last year were coverage sacks and he was nowhere near as effective against the run as he was in previous years. The defense as a whole needs a major infusion of speed, especially at LB.
I think he can play well still unles, but not for what they are paying him

he takes a pay cut..then he's most likely gone
Off-field issues aside, Ahmad has lost much of his effectiveness the past couple of seasons. He's also among the highest salaried Niner players...so if you're getting paid like a super star and you're not performing like one, what do you think management should do? I'd either trade or cut him...it's just that simple.
This aint the same Brooks from 2010 nor 2011 dude is old, washed up N overrated as of now. To me he isn't starter material let alone worth $6.5 mill this upcoming season. GET RID OF HIM!!!!!
  • Antix
  • Veteran
His production nowhere near matches his salary at this point. Moving on is a no brainer.
Its time to move on from Ahmad. Loved him from 2011-2014 but he's older/slower/less productive and Pricey
Ahmad's best days are behind him , he doesn't provide a consistent pass rush , and we cant afford to pay that price for a player obviously on the decline, if he was to renegotiate his deal, and settle for a lesser role, and allow fresh talent at OLB to grow, then maybe that would keep him in town , but we all know he wouldn't settle for less, and accept a smaller role on defense , he has the potential to be an expensive distraction, and OLB is the position we need production from and young talented players with upsides is what we need right now

b/c his bonehead penalties and antics...
He needs to go. While we do lack a lot of experience and leadership on defense, he isn't exactly someone I would want guiding our younger players. Trouble seems to stay not very far away from him.
So much talk that Brooks has slowed down and getting older. The real reason for his decline, Cowboy, RayMac, Patrick, Aldon and Hawk are gone.
His d killing offsides penalty every game
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Its time to move on from Ahmad. Loved him from 2011-2014 but he's older/slower/less productive and Pricey

Everything in a nutshell. At this point, all he's got going for him is experience. All the negatives: off-field issues, mental errors (off-sides, personal fouls), decline in play, decline in speed and explosiveness/power, increase in age, massive price tag. There is no reason he should be here next year. Cut him and Lemonier.

Let the other guys compete with a pass rusher we sign in the off-season. Eli Harold, Lynch, and then a FA or two plus a couple draft picks.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 16, 2016 at 9:14 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone