LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 340 users in the forums

Which one will improve faster...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which one will improve faster...

Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Given The fact that we have an offensive minded coach, I would have to say that the offense will probably improve quicker.

Well...Unfortunately in order for our offense to improve, we are going to need a quarterback that is at least above average.

As I'm sitting here thinking about it more, I'm actually starting to think that it will be the defense. Finding a good quarterback is the hardest thing to do. And until that happens, I don't see us making any kind of significant improvements.

Gabbert and Kaepernick can both operate Chip Kelly's offense. It's QB friendly. And under the right circumstances, Kap can be (and has been) much, much more than "a quarterback that is at least above average." Kaepernick's abilities are perfect for Chip's offense.

The defense is probably gonna be the same or worse than last season unless they get some serious impact players via the draft AND free agency to help out. I'm not worried about Chip's defenses playing a whole 4 extra plays per game as compared to other teams. I am worried about the fact we probably downgraded at DC, which is sad considering we had Eric Mangini last season.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
I'll reserve full judgement till after draft and FA but with the current roster I would say the defense just because of the youth of the personnel and that Trent is better at assembling a defense than an offense. Kelly's system may cause them other teams to run up stats on them but I think an eye test comparison when it comes to play making ability will improve a lot from last year.

I just look at the offense and I see really nothing that would make me think they would be any better. FA and the draft may change that but for now I just see the same squad as last year minus Boldin.
You see nothing that makes you think they'll be better, and I give you Chip Kelly

2012 Eagles ranked under Andy Reid

29th in points
15th in yards

2013 (Chip Kelly's first as Eagles coach, with virtually the same roster)

4th in points
2nd in yards

2014 Eagles

3rd in points
5th in yards

2015 The "crappy" Eagles team that got Chip fired

13th in points
12th in yards

Both in the upper half of the league
Offense should improve the fastest especially with a healthy Hyde, Harris, Davis, etc.

But the defense has the best chance to be the best of the two units. For them, their goal is to play just as good away as they did at home (which was the best in the NFL).
Share 49ersWebzone