LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

You get further on a good D

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is like saying your chances of winning are stronger if you score more points
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
The key is finding a QB. These great defenses can win you a SB, but there's no longevity. The bears, bucs, ravens, seahawks, and probably broncos all one year wonders. There hasn't been a defensive dynasty since the 70s.

Dan Marino disagrees, so does Peyton Manning. A team with a stellar defense and a decent qb will beat a team with a great qb and mediocre defense more often than not.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The key is finding a QB. These great defenses can win you a SB, but there's no longevity. The bears, bucs, ravens, seahawks, and probably broncos all one year wonders. There hasn't been a defensive dynasty since the 70s.

Dan Marino disagrees, so does Peyton Manning. A team with a stellar defense and a decent qb will beat a team with a great qb and mediocre defense more often than not.

My point was if you want success to last. Longevity. Yes a great defense will win a game more often than not, but great defenses winning SBs don't seem to last more than a season.
My point was if you want success to last. Longevity. Yes a great defense will win a game more often than not, but great defenses winning SBs don't seem to last more than a season.

Agree with this
Originally posted by okieniner:
As you can see for another year having a good defense goes long way

It has been this way in sports since the dawn of time.

Offence wins games, but championships are built on defence.
a dominant defense and strong running game will always get you in the thick of things ..but a dependable passing attack is also needed to take that next step
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Ravens won 2 with great defenses...
Drafting DT's isn't always sexy, but we really need a BY,Stubby tandem again. Throw in a good pass rusher opposite Lynch and BOOM!
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
You win games if you score more points than the other team.

But you win just as many games if you prevent the other team from scoring more points.

Is this true?

What do the PFF grades say?
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 8, 2016 at 7:22 AM ]

This is true too. A great QB gives you offensive stability (for longer runs) and the great defenses can take you over the top and at times and even shut down great QB's but it's harder to sustain long term.

That's what was so frustrating about our run. We had a great defense first 3 years and top 5 four years in a row. They were just overused and burned out come playoff time.

Super Bowl 50 featured this season's MVP, Cam Newton, against the Denver Broncos, the best defensive team this season.

Everyone always says defense wins championships, but do they really?.

When it comes to winning championships, or winning in general, for that matter, defense and offense win pretty evenly. Among the 50 NFL Super Bowls, the better defensive team, measured by points allowed that season, has won 31 times. The better offensive team has won 25 times. It's a slight edge to defense, but it's a pretty close call, and no different from random chance. The Super Bowl champ has been a top-five defensive team during the regular season on 32 occasions. How many times was the Super Bowl champ ranked among the top five in offense? 27. Damn near even.

But that's only talking about 50 games, so to broaden the sample size. There have been 463 NFL playoff games held over the last 49 seasons. The better defensive teams have won 58 percent of the time. The better offensive teams have won 62 percent of the time. Slight edge to the offense, but, again, pretty even. (Sometimes the winning team is better both offensively and defensively, which explains why the total exceeds 100 percent.)

Collectively, teams with a top-five defense have won 181 playoff games. Teams with a top-five offense have won 184 games. Accounting for almost 10,000 regular season games, the better defensive team has won 66.5 percent of the time compared to 67.4 percent of the time for the better offensive team. Again, a negligible difference.

What happens when the best offenses line up against the best defenses, if, say, the 2006 Indianapolis Colts had had to face the 2000 Baltimore Ravens? It turns out that 27 Super Bowls have pitted a top-five offense against a top-five defense. The best offensive team won 13 and the best defensive team 14. Another virtual stalemate.

Defense is no more important than offense. If you're prognosticating the Super Bowl winner, there are certainly better metrics than simply siding with the better defensive team. It's not defense that wins championships. You need either a stellar offense or a stellar defense. And having both is even better.

This was sent to me by a friend of mine, I checked the numbers and he's correct on enough that I didn't verify all of them. I have no if he himself wrote this, or got it from somewhere.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
You win games if you score more points than the other team.

But you win just as many games if you prevent the other team from scoring more points.

Is this true?

What do the PFF grades say?

My magic 8 ball says it is...
Originally posted by TexasDuck:
Super Bowl 50 featured this season's MVP, Cam Newton, against the Denver Broncos, the best defensive team this season.

When it comes to winning championships, or winning in general, for that matter, defense and offense win pretty evenly. Among the 50 NFL Super Bowls, the better defensive team, measured by points allowed that season, has won 31 times. The better offensive team has won 25 times. It's a slight edge to defense, but it's a pretty close call, and no different from random chance. The Super Bowl champ has been a top-five defensive team during the regular season on 32 occasions. How many times was the Super Bowl champ ranked among the top five in offense? 27. Damn near even.

But that's only talking about 50 games, so to broaden the sample size. There have been 463 NFL playoff games held over the last 49 seasons. The better defensive teams have won 58 percent of the time. The better offensive teams have won 62 percent of the time. Slight edge to the offense, but, again, pretty even. (Sometimes the winning team is better both offensively and defensively, which explains why the total exceeds 100 percent.)

Collectively, teams with a top-five defense have won 181 playoff games. Teams with a top-five offense have won 184 games. Accounting for almost 10,000 regular season games, the better defensive team has won 66.5 percent of the time compared to 67.4 percent of the time for the better offensive team. Again, a negligible difference.

What happens when the best offenses line up against the best defenses, if, say, the 2006 Indianapolis Colts had had to face the 2000 Baltimore Ravens? It turns out that 27 Super Bowls have pitted a top-five offense against a top-five defense. The best offensive team won 13 and the best defensive team 14. Another virtual stalemate.

Defense is no more important than offense. If you're prognosticating the Super Bowl winner, there are certainly better metrics than simply siding with the better defensive team. It's not defense that wins championships. You need either a stellar offense or a stellar defense. And having both is even better.

This was sent to me by a friend of mine, I checked the numbers and he's correct on enough that I didn't verify all of them. I have no if he himself wrote this, or got it from somewhere.

Damn fine research right here.
Originally posted by TexasDuck:

If Kelly can go 10/6 twice, I think besides our O line and a RB pick up he can repeat what he did with the Eagles but beefing up the D will get us an extra 1:2 Wins
Share 49ersWebzone