There are 143 users in the forums

Candlestick Park Appreciation Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jiks:
After all the s**t talk about how bad of a stadium Levi's is, I was thoroughly impressed. But I'm not a Cali snob.

LOL.

I dunno...just seems to me people WANTED to hate the place. Can't explain it.

When fans come in from anywhere else they almost always walk away impressed. It just seems to be people pining away for the hole that was Candlestick who seem to have such issues with it.

My dad lives in Virginia and is a Redskins fan. When We walked in he thought it was incredible. When we walked down to our seats he was like "Wow...I'm glad I made the trip!".

There seems to be this element of people that are determined to hate it. No pleasing them.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 8, 2016 at 10:58 AM ]
Originally posted by Handlesit:
Screw Candlestick, it was a dump that should of been torn down in the 90's.

Eddie and the city of SF should have gotten us a shiny new stadium in SF in the 90s, and Eddie shouldn't have gotten himself in trouble. Oh well.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Eddie and the city of SF should have gotten us a shiny new stadium in SF in the 90s, and Eddie shouldn't have gotten himself in trouble. Oh well.

Agreed
Originally posted by Marvin49:
After all the s**t talk about how bad of a stadium Levi's is, I was thoroughly impressed. But I'm not a Cali snob.

LOL.

When fans come in from anywhere else they almost always walk away impressed. It just seems to be people pining away for the hole that was Candlestick who seem to have such issues with it.

My dad lives in Virginia and is a Redskins fan. When We walked in he thought it was incredible. When we walked down to our seats he was like "Wow...I'm glad I made the trip!".

There seems to be this element of people that are determined to hate it. No pleasing them.

I hated the place from the first day they posted the drawings of the place. My first comment was "really, thats what over a billion dollars gets you here in CA?"

I wanted to like the place. How can you not? We were finally getting a new home! Ive been going to away games for a while and I was envious of the seattles and the arizonas that had places that were them. Seattle had their place that is crazy off the hook with a crowd that gives them an insane home field advantage. Arizona has a place that is pretty impressive. It has a great tailgating atmosphere with a mall of restaurants and bars right next to the stadium. Even after a loss the fans would congregate at the mall and party. Levi has neither. I guess if you value fast wifi, bad ass suites that 90% of us regulars joes will never see, bad traffic in and out of the area, and no restaurants and bars anywhere near the stadium, then I guess you got what you wanted.

I mirror what someone else posted. This is a stadium for the corporate suits. And if they can get another occupant (raiders) they'll be that much happier.
As I walked around the stadium for the first time to me, it looked like a stadium that was built for 2 occupants. If you took the signage down, this stadium could be anywhere and belong to anyone. And no amount of winning will change that. It doesn't have a soul like lambeau or soldier field. Or in baseball, wrigley, fenway, or even AT&T, where the Giants play. That stadium was one of a kind from the day it opened. You knew it was the home of the Giants.
[ Edited by maximusdecimus on Feb 8, 2016 at 3:35 PM ]
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

LOL.

I hated the place from the first day they posted the drawings of the place. My first comment was "really, thats what over a billion dollars gets you here in CA?"

I wanted to like the place. How can you not? We were finally getting a new home! Ive been going to away games for a while and I was envious of the seattles and the arizonas that had places that were them. Seattle had their place that is crazy off the hook with a crowd that gives them an insane home field advantage. Arizona has a place that is pretty impressive. It has a great tailgating atmosphere with a mall of restaurants and bars right next to the stadium. Even after a loss the fans would congregate at the mall and party. Levi has neither. I guess if you value fast wifi, bad ass suites that 90% of us regulars joes will never see, bad traffic in and out of the area, or no restaurants and bars anywhere near the stadium, then I guess you got what you wanted.

I mirror what someone else posted. This is a stadium for the corporate suits. And if they can get another occupant (raiders) they'll be that much happier.
As I walked around the stadium for the first time to me, it looked like a stadium that was built for 2 occupants. If you took the signage down, this stadium could be anywhere and belong to anyone. And no amount of winning will change that. It doesn't have a soul like lambeau or soldier field. Or in baseball, wrigley, fenway, or even AT&T, where the Giants play. That stadium was one of a kind from the day it opened. You knew it was the home of the Giant
Seattle is still souless, and Arizona is huge garbage can. Soldier Field gutted their soul and is just a Shell of itself.

you can take down any signage at any stadium..and it could be someone elses lol, Tailgating is still the same (for me at least Green Lot 1)

Traffic ?Takes 20 mins from getting in my car to my drive way after a game.

and if you want stuff to do after or pregame..in a few years this will be ready, and ready for the next SB
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Feb 8, 2016 at 3:56 PM ]
I've only seen it from the outside but it looks really nice and a lot bigger than candlestick. Don't understand the hate.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
"Familiarity breeds contempt"

"A stadium is not without honor except in its own country"
Going to need a radiation suit
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:
Levi Stadium feels like an homage to the rich. Glad the team has better lockers and training facilities, but I'd take Candlestick over Levi with no problem.

Candlestick was a friggin' dump. Literally nothing good about it except that it hosted SB winning teams. I'm not saying Levi's is the best stadium ever, but it sure beats Candlestick.

Candlestick from the premise of football is 10x the stadium Levi's is. Not talking history or aura but an actual home field advantage. Levi's is comfortable for both the fans and the away teams.

Candlestick was the exact opposite and in many ways catered to real football fans or local homers a lot better than Levi's and the comfortable corporate fan base we now bring in.

The field on candlestick​ was unpredictable and based on the tide could turn into a mud bowl, many a time teams were trying to figure out cleats and the field conditions well into halftime while our boys knew how to take advantage of it. Same can be said with wind and moisture level of the area. Levi's has no home field advantage other than a little heat for 2 games a year that both sides have to deal with. It seriously can feel like an away game for our team there most of the time.

This doesn't address how ugly and sterile that new stadium is. $12 beers
[ Edited by jcs on Apr 23, 2017 at 5:42 PM ]

Originally posted by jcs:
Levi Stadium feels like an homage to the rich. Glad the team has better lockers and training facilities, but I'd take Candlestick over Levi with no problem.

Candlestick was a friggin' dump. Literally nothing good about it except that it hosted SB winning teams. I'm not saying Levi's is the best stadium ever, but it sure beats Candlestick.

Candlestick from the premise of football is 10x the stadium Levi's is. Not talking history or aura but an actual home field advantage. Levi's is comfortable for both the fans and the away teams.

Candlestick was the exact opposite and in many ways catered to real football fans or local homers a lot better than Levi's and the comfortable corporate fan base we now bring in.

The field on candlestick​ was unpredictable and based on the tide could turn into a mud bowl, many a time teams were trying to figure out cleats and the field conditions well into halftime while our boys knew how to take advantage of it. Same can be said with wind and moisture level of the area. Levi's has no home field advantage other than a little heat for 2 games a year that both sides have to deal with. It seriously can feel like an away game for our team there most of the time.

What you just posted is 90% b******t. The only thing that had some truth was the field advantage back in the days. But that went away as well due to better field prep
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

What you just posted is 90% b******t. The only thing that had some truth was the field advantage back in the days. But that went away as well due to better field prep

I get that you love that sorry ass stadium in Santa Clara, but let's get back to the reality that stadium has been ripped to shreds by multiple news outlets since it's opened. The fact that it was essentially a home field advantage for most of the visiting teams last year is just the begining of what's wrong with it.
Steve Young and Willie Mays didn't get a street? WTF?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I get that you love that sorry ass stadium in Santa Clara, but let's get back to the reality that stadium has been ripped to shreds by multiple news outlets since it's opened. The fact that it was essentially a home field advantage for most of the visiting teams last year is just the begining of what's wrong with it.

I love both stadiums, even when both were filled with visiting team fans/half empty seats

Lol It hasn't been ripped to shreds but actually won an award for best stadium globally that no football stadium has done in awhile. Getting a SB and a National Championship is quite the accomplishment

Keep spreading that fake news BS tho
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Apr 24, 2017 at 12:20 AM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
Steve Young and Willie Mays didn't get a street? WTF?

He got Willie Mays Plaza next to a the good replacement for Candlestick.
Share 49ersWebzone