LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 164 users in the forums

Yes, No or Maybe: Will these team acquire a big time Free Agent in the off season?

Yes, No or Maybe: Will these team acquire a big time Free Agent in the off season?

Yes.

New poll:

Will NT s**t over the big time signing?

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
Yes: 100%

No:

Total Votes: 346883
We might get one but signing huge free agent contracts is not a great way to build a franchise
Originally posted by NinerGod:
Yes.

New poll:

Will NT s**t over the big time signing?

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
Yes: 100%

No:

Total Votes: 346883

Lmao. "We paid him too much! PS: York is still cheap."
Didn't vote because the obvious choice is "how many big time FA will we sign.?" Answer: what we can afford that fill holes we absolutely need. And the answer to that is :

either DT starter or OLB passrush starter.

OC starter for certain.

OG starter for certain.

Possibe OT starter who can play OG.

There's four, and i think all are likely.

Other possibilities: Starters at WR, ILB. CB

Based on current salaries and what is estimated they will earn in FA, we can end up with as many as 4 FA starters, and as few as 3.

Remember, this is a team that lost 6 of its front 7 on D, and 2 of its OL starters from 2014. Also recall of the remaining 3 OL starters, one couldn't get healthy, and the other went from starter to poor backup as C. On top of that, our 3 heralded OL backups all took a major league dump on the playing field. Martin, pears , devey...as if it were necessary to state what everyone knows. Worse, we are going into draft and FA without knowing what Tiller, Thomas and Silberman can do. Incredible that on a team that played so poorly on the OL that last yrs HC couldn't get these guys in to try them out...a failing of harbaw all 4 yrs he was here. Maybe tomsula learned it from him. Whatever, we need somewhere between 10-12 starters and it is inconceiveable we will go thru FA and only FA one of them.

So we FA 3 for sure, and probably a 4th, all starters. In draft we get the other of the DT/OLB that we didn't FA. If 49ers do as I believe, and move up for a second rd 1 pick, then I believe we draft 3 starters, one being a starting OT. Note this is all based on NO QB drafted high, instead allowing chip to work out the top 20 of the UDFA QBs, and picking one or more of them to compete with gab or kap (if he is still here) for starting Qb. We have just too many holes in our starting lineup, and need to draft there first. Besides, what is the chance that the one best QB for chip's O is the 7th pick in the draft? My guess is he would much prefer to look at every UDFA QB to see if one or more fits his requirements for his O.

Yes , 4 starters in FA sounds ridiculous. But so does losing 6 of your starting front 7 and 4 of your starting OLs. Depending on availability and $$, IMO trent FAs BPA from the guys available at our needed spots(basically both Lines), and does so based on cost . To put it another way, with something like $52 mil (or more depending on kap's statrus) in cap space and missing 10 starters, heck yeah trent brings 4 new starters here in FA. I think $10 mil /yr starter, eg Wilkerson(?) will not happen. Guys trent takes will not be earning 9-10 mil per yr. They will be starters but not budget busters. Trent has a lot of work to do with a lot of holes to fill. He will be very busy in FA....and then again in draft. And i am betting on moving up for a second round 1 pick...plus we keep our 2nd round pick.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 7, 2016 at 8:47 AM ]
we are signig russell okung
If we can sign him without totally destroying our cap equivalency status, absolutely yes. My worry with Okung, much as i like him is that he is a cap buster. It would be a sweet double dipper, we get one great one and SEA loses one great one. Again, the $$ have to have some semblance of normalcy re: cap equivalence for this to work.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Yes, Trent will make a splash. Priorities:

1. Malik Jackson: Our pass rush needs a spark and he'd form a great duo with AA, which would also allow us to go a different direction early in the draft.

2. Kelechi Osemele: He's exactly how Baalke would draw up a LG. He can dominate at LG and slide at to LT if Staley goes down.

3. Vernon Olivier: A much needed upgrade to compliment Lynch. Even with Harold's improvement down the stretch, we need more depth with Brooks likely leaving.

4. CB: Sean Smith... There's 4 or 5 quality starters available.
Originally posted by JeromeBettis36:

Lol to play what? Backup LT maybe

Originally posted by strickac:
Yes, Trent will make a splash. Priorities:

1. Malik Jackson: Our pass rush needs a spark and he'd form a great duo with AA, which would also allow us to go a different direction early in the draft.

2. Kelechi Osemele: He's exactly how Baalke would draw up a LG. He can dominate at LG and slide at to LT if Staley goes down.

3. Vernon Olivier: A much needed upgrade to compliment Lynch. Even with Harold's improvement down the stretch, we need more depth with Brooks likely leaving.

4. CB: Sean Smith... There's 4 or 5 quality starters available.

If we can land one of these guys I'll consider it a success
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Only if we over pay and no good team wants the player.

Not happening. With Staley, Davis, and Brown it doesn't make sense to stockpile OTs. It was a huge need this season, but anyone with half a brain knew that Pears was killing us at RT. Brown came in and played great. Now with Davis returning, we're looking good at the position.

The interior line is a whole different story though. Tiller and Kilgore could be fine, but that's a hope and there's not much behind them. Of the group, Thomas should get the first opportunity to start at LG. We desperately could use an upgrade at LG. Let the others fight it out at RG.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Lol to play what? Backup LT maybe

This

He's no $8 million a year player.

I want no player that stands pigeon-toed.
Share 49ersWebzone