LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

Which young defensive player do you think will benefit from the new staff?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which young defensive player do you think will benefit from the new staff?

^^^^Agreed with every single word u said... We went from a simple minded scheme xo wise to one of the most clever minds in football today... That in itself is a upgrade..chip just has to understand his players better and connect and build relationships with them and there is no doubt in my mind he will be one the best coaches in the league...we all learn from our mistakes and I think philly showed him a lot... Hopefully he learns from that and chips xos has never been doubted...I think he was a great hire
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
i would vote for all of the above. the disreputable coaching these guys got, not to mention the rest of the team , sank to new lows under the feckless, clueless, tomsula in 2015. The damage that one hire Jed made to his own team is incalcuable. To put it another way, he personally set his team back a full yr. Many of these guys have just a short time they can play pro football. For RBs, it is 4--5 yrs. By throwing good coaching under the bus last yr, that means a RB had his playing career shortened by 20-25%. Last yr was a franchise wrecker, forgetting that we lost 6 of our front 7, 2 of our starting 5 OL, and then had two of the remaining OL not get healthy or had his ability fall off by more than 50%...or in kilgore's case, from starter to poor backup. Kap? No need to talk about the mismanaged way he has been coached. So we were looking like the Titanic BEFORE tomsula took over. He put an exclamation point on the Titanic's sinking , running the ship into several more icebergs. Worse, our talent searcher came up dry on the OL with martin, devey , pears. And top that off with NOT giving PT to Thomas, Tiller, and silberman. Brown....ah, that's a different story. We will see one Phoenix arise from this disaster, and Brown is it.

so now with one steady all pro at LT, and Brown coming on, we once again go into draft, not knowing what we have on the bench. Tiller et al should have gotten half the PT that the pears /devey/ martin got , so we could know are they players...or not. Some of us, NC being one, cc, and I , all saw the bright side. (we had some others as company, too). But others saw this wreck for what it was. Incompetence of the highest magnitude, and a team that finished the yr, way worse than when it started the yr. Coaching across the board, HC, OC, DC, ST coach...were horrid. Only Rath did a really good job with resurrecting 2 discarded RBs, pulled from the discards of other team's PS. So Rath was the one star last yr with LaJuan and Draughn. Also kudos to trent for finding them . But that was it. The remainder of our team went backwards, a sure indication that we got substandard, awful leadership on D, O, and STs. So not only did we lose 7 or 8 all pros, we over compensated with a hands off HC who had brought in other failed coaches , of O, D, and HC. We were , in fact, a rudderless ship, and all our guys except RBs, went backwards. If Jed learned his lesson, while it wasn't worth it, surely he saw what an incalcuable mess truly bad coaches can cause. I hope he remembers last yr well...and NEVER repeats it.

So, heck yeah, all the players above will benefit.....addition by deletion. We got rid of a morass of truly dreadful coaches...and i mean ALL except Rath, and by that deletion, Chip has already had a positive impact on this team....just by removal of the dreck that was here last yr. Hard to imagine, isn't it, that except for RBs, the ENTIRE team went backwards last yr? So Chip is starting with ideas, maybe strange, but ideas nonetheless , with a track record of being a savvy coach, who has been successful, but only in the coaching sphere. Talent acquisition, and deletion....he admits he failed there. We are on track to look like a football team once again, not just a joke. Chip is starting with less than a full deck, making this a true test of baalke's abilities in FA and then in draft. So the young defensive players will all benefit from good coaching and football know how. Last yr they saw none of it. How we won 5 games remains a mystery to me, but probably indicates that there is an awful lot of really bad teams out there. I am excited to see what all our young guys can do with proper coaching, knowledgeable coaching. But if Tank doesn't show us what a stud he is , then this is his last yr here. Reid? IF anything, i would say he was the guy most impacted by NO or backwards coaching last yr. He has shown he is a better player. Heck all these guys are. But the end of harbaw's brief reign plus the tomsula disaster has set all these guys back....way back , in their development.

Altho i was dead set against chip coming here, now i am delighted a guy with ideas, energy, and a positive track record is our coach...their coach. If all these guys play up to their abilites this yr, we will be in for one schid hot season. If half of them hit, and I mean turn into full fledged starters, we still will be in good shape. My expectations are that they all play up to their abiliteis, given decent, or great coaching. We can't passrush. We can't cover. I hope chip oversees everything, as a HC is supposed to do, and also hope his assistants are here because they are talented in their respective positions as assistant coaches. That alone will be the key to making all the above show us what they have...and some are going to be stars....as long as they have great coaching. From what we've seen so far, Chip is the antithesis of our last HC....a guy who knows the game, and knows how to coach it. REgardless of record W/L, this will be a way better team this yr with Chip overseeing it. How good? Don't know, but it could be head turning good, if the above guys get turned around and over the last hump that is keeping them from being great.

Then, Trent has to do his job, too.

probly the most descriptive and most accurate explanation of what happend to our team and our defense last year. i see the offense improving more an faster than our D but i think if we give oneil a year or two with baalke trying to get our defensive personel back to as good as it use to be then we can improve drastically over last year. even though it would be nice we dont need a top 5 defense like we had with fangio, i think if chip is able produce points on our offense( something not seen from the 49ers in over a decade) then we can survive with a defense thats like top 15. just good enough.
Eli Harold im just waiting for him to bust onto the scene
Originally posted by thl408:
If Tank is considered a young player than so should Reid (same draft). I'd vote for Reid because I like how JoN asks his safeties to make presnap audibles. I think Reid will benefit from being in a scheme that requires more brain power. But of the choices you listed, I'll go with Tank too. I see lots of mixing of 3-4 and 4-3 fronts. Tank was being converted to OLB (stand up) and also knows how to play with his hand in the dirt. He can be a nice chess peice provided he becomes good.

Reid(24) is younger than Carradine(26).
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Eric Armstrong.

no way chip benches him regardless of his crappy stats. they're bffs
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Awesome Question!!

IFFFFFFFFFFFF - Tank can learn the defense quickly, I think this would be a good year for him. THO, I still believe that he's a 4-3 DE.

ARMSTEAD - is doomed if our 3-4 is asked to go after the QB, the guy's just too soft.
I see upside in both Carradine and Harold. I'd like to see us cut Brooks, and bring in either Hali or Ware (will be cut I think) to provide some real leadership for these young guys, and they can both still get after it. That leaves the door opened for either Harold or Carradine to take the reigns opposite Lynch.
For me, it's Armstead. Tomsula failed to play him enough...but I think he's got the makings of a very good DE. I get Carradine, but he simply hasn't shown much whenever he's gotten on the field. I'd love for him to step up big...just not sure he's going to.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
i would vote for all of the above. the disreputable coaching these guys got, not to mention the rest of the team , sank to new lows under the feckless, clueless, tomsula in 2015. The damage that one hire Jed made to his own team is incalcuable. To put it another way, he personally set his team back a full yr. Many of these guys have just a short time they can play pro football. For RBs, it is 4--5 yrs. By throwing good coaching under the bus last yr, that means a RB had his playing career shortened by 20-25%. Last yr was a franchise wrecker, forgetting that we lost 6 of our front 7, 2 of our starting 5 OL, and then had two of the remaining OL not get healthy or had his ability fall off by more than 50%...or in kilgore's case, from starter to poor backup. Kap? No need to talk about the mismanaged way he has been coached. So we were looking like the Titanic BEFORE tomsula took over. He put an exclamation point on the Titanic's sinking , running the ship into several more icebergs. Worse, our talent searcher came up dry on the OL with martin, devey , pears. And top that off with NOT giving PT to Thomas, Tiller, and silberman. Brown....ah, that's a different story. We will see one Phoenix arise from this disaster, and Brown is it.

so now with one steady all pro at LT, and Brown coming on, we once again go into draft, not knowing what we have on the bench. Tiller et al should have gotten half the PT that the pears /devey/ martin got , so we could know are they players...or not. Some of us, NC being one, cc, and I , all saw the bright side. (we had some others as company, too). But others saw this wreck for what it was. Incompetence of the highest magnitude, and a team that finished the yr, way worse than when it started the yr. Coaching across the board, HC, OC, DC, ST coach...were horrid. Only Rath did a really good job with resurrecting 2 discarded RBs, pulled from the discards of other team's PS. So Rath was the one star last yr with LaJuan and Draughn. Also kudos to trent for finding them . But that was it. The remainder of our team went backwards, a sure indication that we got substandard, awful leadership on D, O, and STs. So not only did we lose 7 or 8 all pros, we over compensated with a hands off HC who had brought in other failed coaches , of O, D, and HC. We were , in fact, a rudderless ship, and all our guys except RBs, went backwards. If Jed learned his lesson, while it wasn't worth it, surely he saw what an incalcuable mess truly bad coaches can cause. I hope he remembers last yr well...and NEVER repeats it.

So, heck yeah, all the players above will benefit.....addition by deletion. We got rid of a morass of truly dreadful coaches...and i mean ALL except Rath, and by that deletion, Chip has already had a positive impact on this team....just by removal of the dreck that was here last yr. Hard to imagine, isn't it, that except for RBs, the ENTIRE team went backwards last yr? So Chip is starting with ideas, maybe strange, but ideas nonetheless , with a track record of being a savvy coach, who has been successful, but only in the coaching sphere. Talent acquisition, and deletion....he admits he failed there. We are on track to look like a football team once again, not just a joke. Chip is starting with less than a full deck, making this a true test of baalke's abilities in FA and then in draft. So the young defensive players will all benefit from good coaching and football know how. Last yr they saw none of it. How we won 5 games remains a mystery to me, but probably indicates that there is an awful lot of really bad teams out there. I am excited to see what all our young guys can do with proper coaching, knowledgeable coaching. But if Tank doesn't show us what a stud he is , then this is his last yr here. Reid? IF anything, i would say he was the guy most impacted by NO or backwards coaching last yr. He has shown he is a better player. Heck all these guys are. But the end of harbaw's brief reign plus the tomsula disaster has set all these guys back....way back , in their development.

Altho i was dead set against chip coming here, now i am delighted a guy with ideas, energy, and a positive track record is our coach...their coach. If all these guys play up to their abilites this yr, we will be in for one schid hot season. If half of them hit, and I mean turn into full fledged starters, we still will be in good shape. My expectations are that they all play up to their abiliteis, given decent, or great coaching. We can't passrush. We can't cover. I hope chip oversees everything, as a HC is supposed to do, and also hope his assistants are here because they are talented in their respective positions as assistant coaches. That alone will be the key to making all the above show us what they have...and some are going to be stars....as long as they have great coaching. From what we've seen so far, Chip is the antithesis of our last HC....a guy who knows the game, and knows how to coach it. REgardless of record W/L, this will be a way better team this yr with Chip overseeing it. How good? Don't know, but it could be head turning good, if the above guys get turned around and over the last hump that is keeping them from being great.

Then, Trent has to do his job, too.

Good read. Thanks.
Share 49ersWebzone