LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 334 users in the forums

Which players are best suited for Chip's style of offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't know that much about Chip's offense, other than it's predicated on being "uptempo".

Which players on our current roster will be a good "fit"?

Which players won't be?
Chips offense is worthless without a dual threat qb. Since there are only 2 true dual threat qbs, in the world I'd say it doesn't really matter. This offense is so simple. Even Brandon Marshall was saying so this morning. He said there's only 4 routes in his route tree.

Not real encouraging especially after hearing Joe Montana on Dan Patrick talk about how Bill Walshes offense was built around adjustments and reads.

How the 49ers could go from Walsh, and Harbaughs complex pros style offenses to this cheesy zone read Chip Kelly offense is just depressing.
NCAA
QB Blain Gabbert
RB Carlos Hyde
RB DuJuan Harris
RB Jarryd Hayne
T Joe Staley
All TEs
All WRs
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Chips offense is worthless without a dual threat qb. Since there are only 2 true dual threat qbs, in the world I'd say it doesn't really matter. This offense is so simple. Even Brandon Marshall was saying so this morning. He said there's only 4 routes in his route tree.

Not real encouraging especially after hearing Joe Montana on Dan Patrick talk about how Bill Walshes offense was built around adjustments and reads.

How the 49ers could go from Walsh, and Harbaughs complex pros style offenses to this cheesy zone read Chip Kelly offense is just depressing.

Chip Kelly went 14-4 with dual threat QB extraordinaire Nick Foles as his starting QB. 300Iish yards with eagles. That's about 16 yards per game, including scrambles. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Other teams using the "cheesy" zone read offense? Seattle and Carolina this year. Two teams in the last 3 super bowls. Denver with Tebow (playoffs) Washington a bit this years as well (playoffs)
[ Edited by TexasDuck on Feb 4, 2016 at 9:55 AM ]
  • Chico
  • Veteran
anyone that's in great shape, has major ENDURANCE, young, fast, speedy, strong, smart, healthy and hungry

Brandon Marshall is off based. Here's a small sample of Chip's plays.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Here are some sample Kelly plays.

Drive-Texas....Flood

Double post/skinny/slant with a flat

Curl-flat

Kinda a speedo/pin

Dig/double whip/spot combo

Spot

Kinda looks like a levels concept.

Just with in these plays you have the following routes:

-wheel
-angle
-dig
-crosser/drag
-curl
-post/slant/skinny
-whip
-flat
-snag

Also the above plays are WCO concepts. In another thread I posted what they looked like in Walsh's offense. I think mr. Marshall was talking out his ass in regards to chip's route tree.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Feb 4, 2016 at 12:32 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
If we can get rid of SloMo Boldin, I think all our WRs are perfect for Kelly's "Run n Gun" offense!!
Just putting it out there, based on the breakdowns I've seen on the web and an outstanding breakdown of a couple games jonnydel did here are some of the passing concepts seen in Chip Kelly's passing offense in philly:

-spot trail
-drive trail/hammer
-speedo
-verts
-shallow cross
-slide
-sticks
-scissors
-mesh
-curl flat
-dagger
-deep cross
-curls/Hank
-spot
-mills
-spacing
-double slants/posts
-levels
-sucker
-package/bubble
-slip screen
I saw "Brandon Marshall was saying" and stopped right there.

My take on Kelly's offense. He can't run the same exact type of offense that he had with Philly, especially the first 2 years version. I think if he's a capable offensive guy like people are saying, he would merge the personal that he has with the Niners and come up with an offense that has better fit, while he get Baalke to add the type of players he would want to eventually become the offense he has in mind.

Philly has quicker guys on offense then what we have right now. You just don't run the same Philly offense and expect the same result. There has to be some combination of what Kelly prefer and what the players already know and good at.
Think the offensive players we have on the roster are going to be fine for chip. Our wr'$ are going to get more balls thrown to them and be on the field longer. We need to draft another rb to compliment Hyde. We need a couple il especially at left tackle in the first round. If Staley went down were screwed. Hopefully chip gets this offense rolling instead of relying on our punter and great defense. Not saying we don't need good defense. Just been a terrible philosophy this last decade!!!
Originally posted by Chico:
anyone that's in great shape, has major ENDURANCE, young, fast, speedy, strong, smart, healthy and hungry

Ethiopian marathoners?
I remember a game in Chip's second year at Oregon. I forget exactly which one, but I remember the commentators saying he ran a different set on each series opener. One of them was a wishbone formation, or a version of it with three backs behind the QB who was in shotgun formation.

That would be fun. a different offensive set on every series :)

I don't even know if you're being serious. You're saying they went from walsh's offense, which hasn't been run since Marriucci 14 years ago, to harbaugh's offense, which was in no way complex so much that the opposing defense was calling out our plays at the line of scrimmage just looking at the formation. Does not compute.
Share 49ersWebzone