LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Which side of the ball do you think we address more in the draft?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which side of the ball do you think we address more in the draft?

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Is there an Aldon like talent at 7?

I'm ok with pass rushing OLB being the first pick of the draft, and taking it from there.

Noah Spence
Where is the special teams option?
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:

I'm ok with pass rushing OLB being the first pick of the draft, and taking it from there.

Noah Spence

Unless character issues knocks him out of the running.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
QB class isn't good, so no need to waste a a pick there (maybe a 5th or 6th round pick)

I think there aren't nearly enough football fans who are educated enough to realize drafting a QB in the 5th or 6th round is a complete waste of a pick.

Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Bulger, and Romo would disagree with you. And there are plenty others as well during the 60s-80s. Thanks for your input though.

It's super rare to get a decent qb late it's like a lotery. Takeing one early you have an ok chance of them being a decent quarterback.

Didn't say it wasn't. Steve said that it's a "complete waste of a pick". My knowledge of the english language led me to conclude that Steve was saying that there's no chance you can get a good QB that late.

I stand by my statement. It is a waste. The percentage of QBs that turn out drafted after the 2nd round is so low, its not even worth the gamble.
DE, OLB, ILB are all spots that need up grades beyond what's already on the team....

Wtf am I thinking all areas could use some new blood I have no clue which way they'll go
[ Edited by Allx9er on Jan 27, 2016 at 8:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I want Myles Jack to pair with Bowman to give us that 1-2 punch we had with Willis and Bowman.

Willis and bow had a nasty front line, they work hand in hand. I think Buckner could be special but. Jack is impressive
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
QB class isn't good, so no need to waste a a pick there (maybe a 5th or 6th round pick)

I think there aren't nearly enough football fans who are educated enough to realize drafting a QB in the 5th or 6th round is a complete waste of a pick.

Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Bulger, and Romo would disagree with you. And there are plenty others as well during the 60s-80s. Thanks for your input though.

It's super rare to get a decent qb late it's like a lotery. Takeing one early you have an ok chance of them being a decent quarterback.

Didn't say it wasn't. Steve said that it's a "complete waste of a pick". My knowledge of the english language led me to conclude that Steve was saying that there's no chance you can get a good QB that late.

I stand by my statement. It is a waste. The percentage of QBs that turn out drafted after the 2nd round is so low, its not even worth the gamble.

Quarterbacks drafted high get more of an opportunity to perform in the league. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it too. Given a chance to grow with a team the outcome of success would increase ask Tony Romo
Hopefully defense. We're going to need more bodies as they'll be playing more downs than anyone.
Originally posted by Zachary13White:

I want Myles Jack to pair with Bowman to give us that 1-2 punch we had with Willis and Bowman.

Willis and bow had a nasty front line, they work hand in hand. I think Buckner could be special but. Jack is impressive

Can you imagine the reaction from the 'zone if the 49ers select another 6'7" ish 3-4 DE from Oregon in the 1st round?
  • thl408
Tartt was envisioned to be in the nickel LB role and that's what he did until Bethea was IR'ed. So if Myles Jack is drafted, what is his role in the nickel package, the bench? I see Reid/Ward as the future safety tandem with the team finding someone else to play slot CB. Allow Tartt to settle into that nickel LB role. Don't draft an ILB with the #7 overall and roll with Hodges.

Originally posted by thl408:
Tartt was envisioned to be in the nickel LB role and that's what he did until Bethea was IR'ed. So if Myles Jack is drafted, what is his role in the nickel package, the bench? I see Reid/Ward as the future safety tandem with the team finding someone else to play slot CB. Allow Tartt to settle into that nickel LB role. Don't draft an ILB with the #7 overall and roll with Hodges.

This man speaks the truth!

BTW: Really liked the way Reaser played the slot that final game.
Generally speaking, I tend to look at defense at the top of the draft. Most of my draft crushes end up being defensive players, and I believe you must have top-tier talent to have a good defense.

Offense you have a little more flexibility with scheme, if you have a good offensive coach, to manufacture yards and points by getting players who are not necessarily the most talented, but the best fit for that particular offense. But if you want a good defense, you absolutely must have top talent. Scheme comes secondary.

This year however, priority number 1, 2, and 3 is to fix the o-line. Be aggressive in FA, and if we still need to add more pieces, address it high in the draft. The success of our offense, and next season, entirely depends on it imo.
After further consideration, O-line and defense should be it.

Chip can make a bad offense average and and average offense good. To do that though, he needs an O-line.

Defense is what will win those couple of extra games to get SF into the playoffs sooner rather than later
Can you imagine the reaction from the 'zone if the 49ers select another 6'7" ish 3-4 DE from Oregon in the 1st round?

...Oh...you said "zone" my mistake...
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 28, 2016 at 2:33 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Generally speaking, I tend to look at defense at the top of the draft. Most of my draft crushes end up being defensive players, and I believe you must have top-tier talent to have a good defense.

Offense you have a little more flexibility with scheme, if you have a good offensive coach, to manufacture yards and points by getting players who are not necessarily the most talented, but the best fit for that particular offense. But if you want a good defense, you absolutely must have top talent. Scheme comes secondary.

This year however, priority number 1, 2, and 3 is to fix the o-line. Be aggressive in FA, and if we still need to add more pieces, address it high in the draft. The success of our offense, and next season, entirely depends on it imo.

I'm all about the defense myself...OL has to be nailed in FA b/c frankly, I just don't trust high OL draft picks anymore.
Share 49ersWebzone