LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Which side of the ball do you think we address more in the draft?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which side of the ball do you think we address more in the draft?

whichever side has more torn acls
I think it's important to look at them as position groups rather than side of the ball because overall the offense needs more work but pass rusher is our biggest need.

So I'd go

1. Linebackers. Gotta get a rusher and another stud ILB opposite Bow

2. OL. Need to draft at least 3 if we keep all our picks. Would be number one but OL is one of the only things that you can fix in FA pretty easily. Nearly impossible to get a franchise rusher in FA.

3. QB. Not listed higher because we have 2 qbs that can be serviceable or even good in Kelly's offense. Top tier qb's only hit the FA market once in a blue moon.

4. DL. We need a dynamic tackle but we have bigger needs this year. This is a deep draft for DT's

5. WR. We lack a true #1 but we already have a lot of young revievers and there is this draft isn't stocked like years prior.

6.TE. got some good talent but no badass like Gronk, Olsen, or a prime VD. But not many teams have one of those and that's why it's so slow on the list. Not a must to be a great team.

7 DB. We have a ton of young talent at Safety and CB. Our lowest need. Wouldn't hurt to draft one for competition or one falls in our lap. Baalke's track record here is superb and he loves to draft DB's so I wouldn't be surprised if he took one, though I'd be happier adressing this in FA.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
we showed in Week One what our defense is capable of, I really have no idea what happened after that.. .but the offense are no where to be found since week one after the Super Bowl..
Originally posted by 9moon:
we showed in Week One what our defense is capable of, I really have no idea what happened after that.. .but the offense are no where to be found since week one after the Super Bowl..

We can't use week one to say how good we are because week 1 games are always dinky. However I agree that we do have young talent at many positions on D.
I believe it's a collaborative effort. Kelly is getting the big bucks and I'm sure he'll have a say in what he needs to get this team rolling. Will Baalke go with the best player available? I think that Kelly's input will be the determining factor especially in year one, Baalke is smart enough to know that.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Probably depends on who we land in FA. If we land Jackson and Travathon, we probably go OL QB or WR with the 1st pick
I would try build a top flight defense through the draft. We already know that a top flight defense can take an average offense to the super bowl.

I would do this while focussing on building a dominant running game in free agency. These players will already have been working out in an NFL strength and conditioning program so unlike drafted players they wouldn't need a couple years to prepare physically.

I would then draft more defense and running game support next year while focusing on the passing game and offensive skill positions in year 3. If we can run the ball and play lights out defense we can win a lot of games simply by shortening the game by running the ball and rendering other teams one deminsional.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
I think it's important to look at them as position groups rather than side of the ball because overall the offense needs more work but pass rusher is our biggest need.

So I'd go

2. OL. Need to draft at least 3 if we keep all our picks. Would be number one but OL is one of the only things that you can fix in FA pretty easily. Nearly impossible to get a franchise rusher in FA.

3. QB. Not listed higher because we have 2 qbs that can be serviceable or even good in Kelly's offense. Top tier qb's only hit the FA market once in a blue moon.

4. DL. We need a dynamic tackle but we have bigger needs this year. This is a deep draft for DT's

5. WR. We lack a true #1 but we already have a lot of young revievers and there is this draft isn't stocked like years prior.

6.TE. got some good talent but no badass like Gronk, Olsen, or a prime VD. But not many teams have one of those and that's why it's so slow on the list. Not a must to be a great team.

7 DB. We have a ton of young talent at Safety and CB. Our lowest need. Wouldn't hurt to draft one for competition or one falls in our lap. Baalke's track record here is superb and he loves to draft DB's so I wouldn't be surprised if he took one, though I'd be happier adressing this in FA.

Originally posted by gold49er2183:

So I'd go

Agreed. We have to generate a pass rush this year.

With our first 3 picks I'd like to see us address OL/MLB/EDGE Rusher. No particular order.

Then add a Vernon Adams or Dak Prescott in the later rounds.
With a pick at 7 I'd like to see a value pick.
Either a QB, pass rush or Left tackle.

I'd say pass rush is our immediate need, I still think Kaep will turn it around in Chips O and Staley has a few more years in him..

So, Mack or Jaylon Smith assuming the medical reports come back ok.
100% defense after hiring O'Neil.

If Buckner or Jack is still there you grab them, then focus on O-line and then holes

If neither are there, I'd probably trade down and pick up someone like Ragland, then trade back into the late first round with the extra picks and grab Conklin or Spriggs, then focus on holes
We need OL help.

Would love to finally draft a good WR, we need help there as well.

Our TEs are average, draft pass catching TE.

We are fine at RB with Hyde / Harris

QB class isn't good, so no need to waste a a pick there (maybe a 5th or 6th round pick)

On defense, I like Dial and Williams on the DL, but we need to draft or sign another DE, same goes for our pass rush, we need another OLB

Secondary is pretty good, but wouldn't mind drafting another CB

In all, we have a lot of holes on both sides of the ball, so a good draft and FA would be a must if we want to talk about playoffs next year.
I pray Baalke goes all out defense and allows Chip to grab his players in FA. Baalke is the defense guru and an offensive padawan.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:

QB class isn't good, so no need to waste a a pick there (maybe a 5th or 6th round pick)

I think there aren't nearly enough football fans who are educated enough to realize drafting a QB in the 5th or 6th round is a complete waste of a pick.
Share 49ersWebzone