LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Which side of the ball do you think we address more in the draft?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Both side need lots of help, but the oline, other than Staley, who needs a replacement groomed to take his place, needs as many high draft picks as we can spend. I think Boone is gone in FA. I have no belief that AD will come back and play on this team. Kilgore may be a serviceable center, but i isn't like he is a star. We still have a couple of guys that COULD be ok...but truly haven't shown it yet. We need another RB to be ready behind Hyde, and while Draughn was serviceable , even behind a make shift line, I am not sold he is the best option out there. So yeah, I think our offense needs a lot more emphasis than our defense. Not to say the defense shouldn't be addressed, a guy to play next to Williams, a Pass rushing DE, an OLB, and anew corner would be nice. But which do you focus on in this years draft vs FA? And what should we be looking at in next years draft?
lol @ Baalke sucks winning the poll
Mostly defense, with maybe some OL mixed in and possibly a QB at some point.
Whichever side is least helped by free agents! Some speculate that defensive free agents will hesitate to sign with a Kelly led team. If this is true then they may sign offensvie free agents and go heavy D in the draft. I could see something like Buckner, Spence, Matakevich in rounds 1-3. Spence would be a risk but his upside might be an unavoidable lure.

But if we're wrong and defensive guys are willing to sign here, I would love to see Treadwell, Spriggs and Drango.
We're so full of holes that anywhere is good, as long as the draftee can contribute quickly. No more projects, please. It was a decent strategy when we were knee deep in probowlers, but now we have Pears and Devey starting, we need better than "potential".

That said, I still think we'll draft more defensive linemen early. I really can't see Baalke staying away from Buckner if he is still there at #7 (which he should be).
Draft heavy on D/OL, go for experienced O players in FA, draft one QB.
The side with the laces
Originally posted by paulk205:
We're so full of holes that anywhere is good, as long as the draftee can contribute quickly. No more projects, please. It was a decent strategy when we were knee deep in probowlers, but now we have Pears and Devey starting, we need better than "potential".

That said, I still think we'll draft more defensive linemen early. I really can't see Baalke staying away from Buckner if he is still there at #7 (which he should be).

I agree but without a trading partner the niners may be stuck using all those late round picks on developmental prospects or IR guys. They have one pick in each of the first three rounds, two in the forth, three in the fifth and four in the sixth. A lot of picks but can they bundle them to move up? If they wind up with an extra second and or third I would be surprised but ecstatic.
Defense.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I agree but without a trading partner the niners may be stuck using all those late round picks on developmental prospects or IR guys. They have one pick in each of the first three rounds, two in the forth, three in the fifth and four in the sixth. A lot of picks but can they bundle them to move up? If they wind up with an extra second and or third I would be surprised but ecstatic.

This

If not used to move up they'll be wasted ammo IMO
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Pass rush. I miss having an Aldon. A lineman or an OLB..id like pass rush either way.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

This

If not used to move up they'll be wasted ammo IMO

hopefully we can trade a couple late round picks for veterans that fit what we do on both sides of the ball ...We got Boldin for a 6th rounder right?? ...it would work out for us if we acquired an established vet or two with those late rounder's ..it makes sense to trade late round picks for vets we know can contribute , and getting 2 or 3 years of production from veterans with some gas left in the tank , because its no guarantee those late round picks will pan out, or even make the team?? ...but we need to draft smart in the first 5 rounds, Baalke needs to stock up on quality players so we can get back to being competitive
We need help everywhere so if Baalke screws up this draft which he prob will he should be fired
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Mostly defense with OL thrown in there somewhere, probably address offensive needs in FA. Kelly can get the offense scoring close to a top 10 level, but the defense needs dome more talent and depth.
Share 49ersWebzone