LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

Niners hire Jim O'Neil as DC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Recently, a number of players have told me what they believe is the main impetus behind the continual running-back beatings: The Browns have issues with gap integrity—football speak for jamming the holes between the offensive linemen—at all.

Rather than being assigned specific gaps, Cleveland's defensive linemen play different techniques based on how their offensive counterparts are blocking them. The linebackers, then, are expected to guess what technique their teammates are using, scrape through the resulting mess and make the play. Opposing offenses have identified this flaw on film and are repeatedly, week-after-week, gashing the edge of Cleveland's defense. It's a completely chaotic approach to stopping the run, and players have said—off the record—they're spending way too much timethinking, and not nearly enough time reacting.

"It's an entire guessing game," said one source. "Imagine trying to define mud."

Indeed, the defense may be too complicated for its own good—something the players have largely failed to address head on. Coordinator Jim O'Neil comes from the Pettine-Rex Ryan lineage, whereby part of the defensive philosophy is to cause pre-snap identification problems for quarterbacks and offensive linemen. It's a scheme that flourished with the Ravens, Jets and Bills but has so far failed to yield reliable results in Cleveland.

Simply put, the Browns are spending so much time figuring out ways to trick the offense, they're leaving themselves little to no margin for error. If it means dropping linebacker Paul Kruger in coverage to fool Peyton Manning, despite the latter being a scheme-identifying genius, Cleveland will do it. In other words, the Browns are soworried about you figuring out their cards, they wind up putting certain players in the wrong position.

http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/10/21/mike-pettine-cleveland-browns-defense-problems-afc-north
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
he will be better than mangini. i have more confidence in this head coach to put together a qualified coaching staff. everyone is new to everyone so lets give everyone a bit of a break. i am glad the staff is pretty much filled. i will trust they will meet each other and put in alot of meetings and time before they can actually present what they want to do to the players. just because some of us have not heard much of our coaches does not mean they will suck. its about the right group of guys and i am optimistic the team got it right this time
He did a great job improving the Brown's defensive rankings.

WTF?
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
I guess Tarver goes back to ILB or OLB coach? I last heard he was leading candidate. I'm unimpressed with this hire. But felt same way when Kelly was named HC. Might as well keep the questionable hires going.

He'll retain his OLBC role unless something crazier happens.
[ Edited by Mdizzle27 on Jan 26, 2016 at 3:06 PM ]
Let's see if he learns from last year. If not, Pettine should be ready to come back next year
I'm just glad Chip has his staff together. Onward to the rest of the offseason.
Not excited about this at all, but I didn't want Chip, either. This is just one more coach I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt going into next year.
  • thl408
This guy masterminded a game plan that registered 9 sacks on Blaine Gabbert. Champions**t.
This is not going to work out.

I would have much rather hired Tarver.

I Hope to god im wrong, but this has all the makings of a one and done DC.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cciowa:
he will be better than mangini. i have more confidence in this head coach to put together a qualified coaching staff. everyone is new to everyone so lets give everyone a bit of a break. i am glad the staff is pretty much filled. i will trust they will meet each other and put in alot of meetings and time before they can actually present what they want to do to the players. just because some of us have not heard much of our coaches does not mean they will suck. its about the right group of guys and i am optimistic the team got it right this time

Can't say he will better than Mangini there is no way of knowing that. Im hopeful for the best but I think our D will be ranked low. Hopefully our offense can score some points.

Originally posted by Mdizzle27:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
I guess Tarver goes back to ILB or OLB coach? I last heard he was leading candidate. I'm unimpressed with this hire. But felt same way when Kelly was named HC. Might as well keep the questionable hires going.

He'll retain his OLBC role unless something crazier happens.

OLB coach, thanks for info.
Originally posted by thl408:
This guy masterminded a game plan that registered 9 sacks on Blaine Gabbert. Champions**t.

lol
Ehhh is what it is, he's young and learned under Rex and pettine.

I don't think any coach has been good in Celevand lol.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mdizzle27:
I'm just glad Chip has his staff together. Onward to the rest of the offseason.

that is the most important thing, these guys were all chosen for a reason. i think we are already a better team now as compared to two months ago
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
This is not going to work out.

I would have much rather hired Tarver.

I Hope to god im wrong, but this has all the makings of a one and done DC.

well we don't have the players yet, we could have a big offseason this year.
Share 49ersWebzone