There are 215 users in the forums

Niners 2015 defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sorry if there is a thread already I just wanted to see what you all thought about the huge discrepancy between our defense at home vs away.

Were we 1st in points allowed in our 8 home games or close to it? That is dam amazing. I know most teams play better at home but what the hell is that. Any defense capable of being a top unit for 8 games and garbage the other 8 on the road must not be well coached or disciplined.

Do any of you know the factors contributing to this? It amazes me and it also gives me hope that our defense can be top 10 overall with a pass rush and another ilb, with improvement from the run d on the road.
[ Edited by elguapo on Jan 22, 2016 at 4:15 AM ]
I think something a lot of people are forgetting is the same thing Chip forgot in Philly. The scheme and game plan can be the best in the history of mankind, but you need players to execute them to be successful. Mangini may not have run the best defense, I don't know because I am not a 49ers fan....although I will follow them closer now because Chip is there. My point is even if he were a solid defensive coordinator, the 49ers lost a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball last season, so that, more than anything else, probably played a huge part in their lack of success on that side of the ball. What would worry me more than last season with Mangini is his 2005 season with the Patriots, where they finished 26th in total defense. I haven't dug into why, but that's not a great number.

Chip's offense is great, and it has and will succeed in the NFL, but without an offensive line that can open holes for the running back, and without a QB that can at least keep the defense guessing a little that they might keep the ball, and having recievers who can actually catch the ball, it struggles.

Maybe with another pass rusher and whatever else you guys think you need, Mangini's system would look better?

Have a lovely day.
I think that if we can get a few guys in the front 7 we could have a top-10 because:

-Reid had a good second half season, Ward looked great and they looked like a good combo at the last game of the season.

-Dontae Johnson could cover some elite WRs last season and while we could upgrade(Alexander, VH3 or Ramsey in the draft and Norman, Jenkins or Amukamara in the FA) Acker and Brock both where average IMO last season.

-Aaron Lynch was one of our best defenders last season. When Eli Harold was drafted he needed to get stronger and in the last few weeks of the year it looked like he was stronger and he made some good plays but he certainly could be upgraded(Irvin and Miller are interesting names in the FA and Floyd or Spence could be draft options).

-Bowman was good against the run but he struggled covering but I think he can improve because his lateral speed will get better with a full healthy offseason. Hodges got here early in the season and didn't looked good so I expect the 49ers to upgrade the position(Jack, Smith, Ragland or Matakevich are draft options).

-Ian Williams was great and our best defensive player or maybe even the best player overall last season and needs to be resigned. AA showed promise as nickel DT and had a few ups and downs as a 3-4 DE. Dial will probably start at the other DE spot because he is a solid run defender but he doesn't provide much in pass rush so we could upgrade the position in the FA(Wilkerson or Jackson) or the draft(Buckner, Robinson or Ogbah). If we don't resign Williams I would expect to Dorsey become our NT.
Total mystery to me why they played badly on the road. It could be due to the season was over before it was over mentality. The only decent one was the on the road game against the Bears. That could be because they wanted to proved to people that they are a player driven unit and not coach dependent.

They are grown men that knew the season was over at 4-8. Not some kids waiting for Santa to come around with bundle of gifts. I think like the fans, they just want to forget the season ever happened and move on.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Sorry if there is a thread already I just wanted to see what you all thought about the huge discrepancy between our defense at home vs away.

Were we 1st in points allowed in our 8 home games or close to it? That is dam amazing. I know most teams play better at home but what the hell is that. Any defense capable of being a top unit for 8 games and garbage the other 8 on the road must not be well coached or disciplined.

Do any of you know the factors contributing to this? It amazes me and it also gives me hope that our defense can be top 10 overall with a pass rush and another ilb, with improvement from the run d on the road.
the only reason our D sucked was that the offense not carrying any load (eating up any clock).

Add in some good draft picks/FA's and we are there. But it will still be dependent on the offense not going 3 and out. (circa 2009/2010)
i think our leadership and strength in the middle of the field will improve drastically now that bowman will have had more than a week to rest his knee. you could tell even with how great he is he isnt 100% yet and he was probably just barely recovering enough to play every week. this offseason will give him plenty of time to rest it an get it back to his full strength. i really want to draft a strong ILB an get our run defense back to like 2011. i think people are underestimating the loss of p willy since we had so many other losses too. vernon hargreaves or the best ILB available in the first rd. we have nothing special in the secondary right now just all a bunch of 2nd an 3rd stringers. reid is our best guy back there an his best season was his rookie season
I think it had everything to do with Jimmy T and how soft he was on the team. You don't just show up and win games on the road, you need that mentality of being on edge at all times. Harbs had that but unfortunately I think it wore the team down over the years.
All of you have good points I just don't know how the niners d was so much more dominant at home then on the road. Were the niners D the best in the NFL at home? And then we allow multiple 200 yard rushing games on the road and multiple 300 yard passing games on the road. We have shown we have the talent to be one of the best (if not best defense during home games) but on the road what the hell. I have never seen a defense like this......ever
All of you have good points I just don't know how the niners d was so much more dominant at home then on the road. Were the niners D the best in the NFL at home? And then we allow multiple 200 yard rushing games on the road and multiple 300 yard passing games on the road. We have shown we have the talent to be one of the best (if not best defense during home games) but on the road what the hell. I have never seen a defense like this......ever

I think it was immaturity and maybe lack of motivation.

Straight up youth, my man. The good news is we have evidence to prove they CAN do it even being this young. Now it's about growing and becoming more consistent.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 22, 2016 at 3:54 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone