LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

When is the press conference

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
"As one of the most historic franchises in the National Football League, I realize the high standards and expectations that this position demands and I embrace the challenges ahead," Kelly said in a statement. "My immediate focus is to build the best coaching staff possible, one that will maximize the abilities of each of our players and put us in the best position to win football games."

Jed leans over in front of Kelly's mic, 'I just want to add. Chip is not racist.'

Trent leans over in front of both of them and says "oh yeah, we're still going to run the football."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 15, 2016 at 8:48 AM ]
It's next week to give Chip time to bring in coaches.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Putting together a coaching staff takes priority over a press conference.

I won't argue that point but I was hoping to hear from them with the reason and vision of their decision. A few tweets and no interviews seems very shallow. I'm holding back opinion until I see the CS hires, FA signings and the draft. I'm hopeful with the choice to go with a offense minded coach how be him controversial, I guess I want to understand their (Yorks) reasoning and future plans (I know hanging super bowl banners).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Virginia9ers:
Most teams I thought have one that or the next day, why the delay?

Putting together a coaching staff takes priority over a press conference.
that is the way it should be, remember last years fiasco
Originally posted by cciowa:
that is the way it should be, remember last years fiasco

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by frenz:
Originally posted by frenz:
I'll try to find a link, but they said the presser was taking a back seat for the CS search. Wise move, imo.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14569856/san-francisco-49ers-hire-chip-kelly-next-coach

"As one of the most historic franchises in the National Football League, I realize the high standards and expectations that this position demands and I embrace the challenges ahead," Kelly said in a statement. "My immediate focus is to build the best coaching staff possible, one that will maximize the abilities of each of our players and put us in the best position to win football games."

49ers CEO Jed York tweeted that he and general manager Trent Baalke selected Kelly, who will be introduced in a news conference next week, "after a thorough search."

Pat Kirwan was saying yesterday that most coaches getting interviews will contact other coaches who they want to bring with them. Because the Gm should ask them within the first hour of meeting who their coordinators will be.

That statement about a "thorough search" tells me Chip doesn't really have solid guys on deck and Trent is heading up the search to find them.
[ Edited by SoCold on Jan 15, 2016 at 9:40 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCold:
Pat Kirwan was saying yesterday that most coaches getting interviews will contact other coaches who they want to bring with them. Because the Gm should ask them within the first hour of meeting who their coordinators will be.

That statement about a "thorough search" tells me Chip doesn't really have solid guys on deck and Trent is heading up the search to find them.

I don't see that at all. I mean as of right now the only coordinator hired has been Vance Joseph as DC in Miami. Does that mean Hue Jackson doesn't have solid guys lined up because his staff isn't set? Does Adam Gase not have contacts because he has yet to hire an OC?

I think the delay has more to do with the owners meeting and less to do with your assumption that Chip doesn't have any friends.

Plus I'd rather have Chip find a good defensive coordinator than an average one. It's important that they get this hire right.

There's a big difference between being an average defense and being top 5 again. Can you imagine with a top 5 offense and defense would be like?

It'll take years but Chip has the offensive skills, we just need a great defensive coordinator. Luckily Baakle seems to draft defense fairly well.
[ Edited by Pick4Six on Jan 15, 2016 at 9:48 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Pick4Six:

I think the delay has more to do with the owners meeting and less to do with your assumption that Chip doesn't have any friends.

Plus I'd rather have Chip find a good defensive coordinator than an average one.

Ironically this team went from being defensive strong to probably offensive strong now so it's important they get this hire right.

I didn't say no one likes him. Just don't think a DC has agreed to come with him. So they need to find someone. That doesn't give me good feels. That's all.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Jed leans over in front of Kelly's mic, 'I just want to add. Chip is not racist.'

Trent leans over in front of both of them and says "oh yeah, we're still going to run the football."
And then Jed leans over and whispers to Chip, "You better not mention Joan in payroll."

I didn't say no one likes him. Just don't think a DC has agreed to come with him. So they need to find someone. That doesn't give me good feels. That's all.

Good point
[ Edited by Pick4Six on Jan 15, 2016 at 9:49 AM ]

Why dont the other guys have staffs lined up then? Why is Hue Jackson trying to get a RB coach that is under contract with Minnesota? Why doesnt he have a defensive coordinator yet? He has had a whole extra day to get his disorganized self together.

Because what you described is not at all how it works.

Guys will offer up ideas of what assistants they will try to bring with them but it doesnt always work out. Sometimes coaches will pair up like we saw with Shanahan and Quinn last year. Sometimes guys bring in large chunks of their staffs from college like Harbaugh did but all these new head coaches are competing over a lot of the same assistants right now.

Jim Schwartz has several offers from teams. Does that mean those head coaches just arent very squared away or more likely it is just the normal part of building a staff?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 15, 2016 at 9:53 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

this is just foolish. maybe they are working together, but chip is no jt,. i love it that he putting his staff together so we have a real clear direction of what is going on when they meet with the press, and then the guys can get started asap on things. feel free to spin though
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pick4Six:

Good point

i am pretty sure once he got the job and even before , he had a list of coaches to contact in preparation for when he got his next job. unlike last year, we are not reacting,, we are pro active in my opinion. and while i hate every one of them, i also assume, he is probably visiting with current staff to see if there is anyone on board he wants to keep to get him coffee
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
It's next week to give Chip time to bring in coaches.

Also read that Baalke and Kelly have traveling conflicts over the weekend. ESPN article from Gutierrez.
Share 49ersWebzone