LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Chip Kelly & Acquiring Free Agents

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by harryj:
Originally posted by dj43:
No, you read it OK. I just should have continued my post to the defensive side of the ball.

I don't expect as much "chicken little" on the defensive side of the ball as some purport. Players want money, yes, but they also want to play for a winner. They also tend to be drawn to things that are new and different. Kelly's offense is that. The fact that it operates so quickly that the defense plays more snaps is just a part of all that. We did not see a lot of defensive players leaving Philly because they thought they played too much.

For the past three years, New England has played at a very high tempo as well, and until key offensive players were injured this season, they won a lot of games. The tempo was not what caused the losses as much as losing Edelman and Dion Lewis.

Green Bay also plays at a high tempo much of the time. So does Denver when Peyton is running things.

Using a quicker pace to put the defense at a disadvantage is an evolution we are going to see more of, consequently I would rather see "my" team be an early adopter than the last one to the party. That is the selling point I would use if I were Baalke.

heres the thing though eagles have had the lowest TOP every year chip has been coach of the eagles

and at some point (especially later) it will cause some strain on the defense and effect their"stats" and what not and it may not even be there fault - thats why i dont think high priced defensive FA will not want to come here

We will find out.

I just don't have the same level of fear on that score as some do. If I have a way to give my team a better chance to win, "team" players will step up. If all they want is money then I don't want that attitude.
If chip is as bad at acquiring players as he was at getting rid of great talent, I wouldn't want him making any kind of deal by himself. Why? Case in point, diMarco Murray. Had all pro yr at Dallas, Chip wanted him and got rid of great talent to do so, only to NOT USE di Marco once he had him. We cannot allow chip to do squat in player acquisition or termination. Do that and I'm ok with the hire.
I think there'll be enough FA's willing to come to Santa Clara that can make a difference...money talks and the Niners have plenty. As Colin Cowherd said yesterday, Chip Kelly's a smart guy and smart people continue to evolve. Mel Kiper said he doesn't see Kelly coming on board change the draft much. Baalke's still calling the shots WRT personnel, so he and Kelly will need to become partners. Kelly knows that coming in, so I guess only time will tell. Don't believe everything you read about Kelly...he's all about winning, and any players who complain he works them too hard will have a tough time surviving. The players he coaches get in the best shape of their careers...because they have to. Not all players are willing to make those efforts...the ones who are will thrive in his system. So, BL is I'm not worried in the least that his presence will deter FA's who want to win.
If Djax and Shady Mc are against you, then I am with you. Those two are of highly questionable character.
Share 49ersWebzone