LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

ZBS O-Lineman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With the addition of Chip Kelly, I've been thinking about the make-up of our offensive line. I'm a big fan of zone blocking in general, but Baalke seems to have accumulated a group of power guys under Harbaugh's tenure. I don't want to repeat a situation like last year where we bring in a cast-off like Devey at the 11th hour because our personnel doesn't match the scheme.

I think both Staley and a slimmed down Davis (assuming he returns), are versatile enough to play any scheme, but who else can we bring in to shore of the middle? Alex Mack is an obvious fit, but what other FA targets are out there? Any draft favorites who could be picked up in the middle rounds?
[ Edited by Bimbo_Coles on Jan 14, 2016 at 12:43 PM ]
I remember screaming for us to draft Mack, (he handled BJ Radji at Senior Bowl, and we needed a Center, and he was right down street at Cal), but got booed.. Ok 5 years later we need/want him.. LOL, well Im for it , as I was back then, only now we pay more for his services....damn
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
I remember screaming for us to draft Mack, (he handled BJ Radji at Senior Bowl, and we needed a Center, and he was right down street at Cal), but got booed.. Ok 5 years later we need/want him.. LOL, well Im for it , as I was back then, only now we pay more for his services....damn

Yea, I liked him coming out as well. With Mack at center, I think Kilgore is probably athletic enough to man one of the guard positions. Rees Odhiambo, and Jordan Walsh are a couple of guys in the draft we could target in middle rounds.
  • thl408
Chip loves the screen game so agile guards will be critical. This means Boone and Tiller are out. Really need Martin and/or Thomas to develop here. Staley/Kilgore/ADavis are fine imo. I'd like at least one of the key FAs to be a guard. Can't go into 2016 hoping both of Martin/Thomas step up to be a quality starter.
AD better get in the best shape of his life if he returns.
Lots of quality zone blocking guards and tackles in this years draft.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

supposedly he has lost a s**t ton of weight.
It's good he lost a lot of weight, because if he needs to add some of it back on, then he can hopefully do that in the gym. A.D. being lighter lately, also has probably been a lot better on his body as well, so here's to hoping he makes his mind up whether to come back or not, and let the team know wither way. This would allow us to know if we need to look at T in the draft, or if we don't. It will also allow us to kind of give him a weight we'd like to see him at come training camp, if he wants to come back.
Love Ryan Kelly, C Alabama. One of many late 2nd / 3rd round guys I like.

I agree that the Niners' O-line isn't suited to run Kelly's offense. I would trade most of those guys (Davis, Tiller, Martin, Thomas) and start over with newbs. 2016 needs to be looked at as a rebuilding year anyway.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

supposedly he has lost a s**t ton of weight.

Great only one more ton to go.

Staley, Kilgore, and Thomas are perfect for the ZBS. I would even throw in Boone but doubt he is coming back.

Anthony Davis is an absolute mauler along with Tiller so they will have some trouble unless Chipper tweaks his scheme.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

I agree that the Niners' O-line isn't suited to run Kelly's offense. I would trade most of those guys (Davis, Tiller, Martin, Thomas) and start over with newbs. 2016 needs to be looked at as a rebuilding year anyway.

This...Ryan Kelly is a must
  • frenz
  • Veteran
Curious if you guys think Brown would fit? I don't know much about OL, but a lot of guys have been high on him after the last four games.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Staley, Kilgore, and Thomas are perfect for the ZBS. I would even throw in Boone but doubt he is coming back.

Anthony Davis is an absolute mauler along with Tiller so they will have some trouble unless Chipper tweaks his scheme.

Davis is more athletic than people give him credit for, I think he'd be a great fit at RT for a ZBS

Back in Sept he said he dropped 50 lbs too... http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/9/3/9256443/anthony-davis-posts-instagram-about-eventual-49ers-return

need a new interior OL same as before
Originally posted by niner8250:
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

This...Ryan Kelly is a must

But we already have Marcus Martin....all pro in the wings
Share 49ersWebzone