LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Could a coach succeed with our current roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This team has more talent than most of you think, combine that with all the cap space we have plus the draft and I expect us to compete for a playoff spot next season
With the current roster? Maybe like 8-8 if he was a good coach. With the draft and free agency, maybe so
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
This team has more talent than most of you think, combine that with all the cap space we have plus the draft and I expect us to compete for a playoff spot next season

IMO if we draft a good QB or Kap/Gabbert plays well, we get some OL depth, Hyde stays healthy and our new HC is good we could easily go to the playoffs.
[ Edited by joaosoarrs99 on Jan 13, 2016 at 8:43 PM ]
It's been proven time and time again that a good HC that knows how to select his staff can do wonders even with a struggling team.

This 49er's team is not that bad off and can be competitive if they would just fix the Offensive Line.

The Defense is OK at this point, but something has to be done with that offensive line because ... well ... they're really OFFENSIVE!

They need to be able to block for more than 2 seconds to give their running backs and or QB time to get something going.

Too many times have the QB had to run for his life or eat the dust. How can you win anything that way?
We need 2 starting oline men and a rotational oline men and one good to great pass rusher on the opposite side of lynch and gabbert could win us 10+ games a season.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Half the posters on here were predicting we'd go .500 this year. I don't think the majority of the webzone is guilty of underestimating the talent on this team. I see it as significantly less talented than most people on here - I think we're one of the least talented teams in the league. Other people will point to the team's average age as if having young players means the team will be good in the future, but we don't have many good young players. Lynch is promising and Hyde would be if he wasn't injury prone. I still think Armstead could be pretty good, but it will take a couple good drafts to make up for this past offseason and some of Baalke's recent drafts.

Too many high picks haven't panned out recently (Jenkins (1st), James (2nd), Tank (2nd), McDonald (2nd), Lemonier (3rd), Ward (1st), Martin (3rd)). One of the few picks that looked pretty good has already retired (Borland). We haven't had a good draft since 2011 and we already lost Aldon and Cully.
I would say 6-12 roster +/- 2 wins. Just looking at it objectively. We have 1-3 players on offense who would start for another team (Hyde, Staley, Boone, maybe Smith and maybe Kilgore). On D we have far more talent than offense but still major holes. Just being honest this roster has 8-10 player who could start for another team on average.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I would say 6-12 roster +/- 2 wins. Just looking at it objectively. We have 1-3 players on offense who would start for another team (Hyde, Staley, Boone, maybe Smith and maybe Kilgore). On D we have far more talent than offense but still major holes. Just being honest this roster has 8-10 player who could start for another team on average.

Maybe Smith? LOL. He's def a starting WR on half the teams in the league.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
This current roster at most is a 8 win team.
If they use more

Fruckin

Max

Protect.

On defense....just play the pass.

I'll not be very original. To really succeed (=make a legitimate run in the playoffs), and in the absence of a HOF QB (like NE has) a team basically needs three things

1. A serviceable QB (duh!)

2. A good OL

3. A dominant pass-rush (or a really shutdown secondary, though the pass-rush is generally better)

In 2011 when we went from putrid to excellent this is what we got: Alex was shown to be at least serviceable, the OL was full of 1st rounders who were coming together, and the two Smiths terrorised opposing QBs. The run game helped, as did stopping the run (which we did historically well that year), but with the rules being so slanted in favour of fantasy gambling... sorry, I meant in favour of the passing game, it's better to have a proper QB behind a good line and likewise to limit the time the opposing Qb has. KC right now is basically trying the same formula and they're doing well under it.

I look at our roster and we MIGHT have #1; I haven't given up on either of the QBs assuming the new coach is not a total moron. But we're a million miles away from #2: I expect Boone to bail, leaving us basically with an aging Staley, perhaps Kilgore if he ever plays at the same level after missing so much time with injury. I am not counting on Davis either: a proven quitter, and who knows what shape he is after sitting on the sofa for a year. Which leaves us with three line spots to fill, almost impossible to do all in one year. In hindsight, paying Smith instead of Iupati was as disastrous as any of the disastrous GM decisions from last year.

As for pass-rush, perhaps we get someone in the draft. But dominant pass-rushers don't grow on trees sadly.

This is a sub .500 roster for me at this point. I see holes everywhere, excepting perhaps safety, DL and RB (barring injury). We have potential at TE and perhaps corner, if the youngsters develop. If we hit homeruns in FA and the Draft, and if the new coach is good, perhaps we can get to 8-8 or 9-7. But everything has to go right.

Remember, it took us five years of high first rounders, often two in the same year (2006, 2007, 2010) to build the quality roster of 2011. The cupboard is very empty at the moment.
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran
Many coaches have taken on a team of underperforming players and turned it around
I;ve seen it happen in lots of team sports
Sometimes a fresh approach can breathe life into a group of players who were getting bogged down
Attitude is important
Heres hoping there;s good things to come
Why are we giving up on Kap so fast. With good coaching why can't he be back to what he started. He didn't just luck up and win all those playoff games he won.
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
The defense can succeed but I don't think the offense can succeed unless we get impact rookies(Goff and Doctson would be my first and second round pick because of that).

There isn't a single impact QB in the draft. Someone will reach too high in this weak draft. Reminds me of the Gabbert draft.
Originally posted by Eastcoast49er:
Why are we giving up on Kap so fast. With good coaching why can't he be back to what he started. He didn't just luck up and win all those playoff games he won.

You know why. Any other QB would get another shot, but not Kaep who has somehow really angered many people. Kaep has shown that he could make plays when it counts with a good roster. But, I guess peopel would rather take their chances with an unknown. IMO playoff play is extremely important. There are many QB's out there who are great during the regular season but can't do anything in the playoffs. But the narrative is Kaep was carried in the playoffs so can't really begin to understadn people with that mindset.

The coaching was so bad this year it has skewed a lot of peoples minds. No one thought Harbaugh would turn the talent we had into SB contenders. Coaching in football is more important than any other sport.
[ Edited by Blindfury on Jan 14, 2016 at 4:52 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone