There are 236 users in the forums

Holmgren or Shanahan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Holmgren or Shanahan?

Shanahan get's to be the HC because he beat Holmgren in the Super Bowl
I voted for Shanahan at least we might go 7-9 or 8-8 for 3 years
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by Niners99:
How about neither? If were going to hire a dinosaur, at least get a dinosaur thats been coaching recently like Tom Coughlin.

Were so dumb for turning to these type of options. Might as well just sign Joe Montana and Jerry Rice to play on the team too. Then all the fans who are over age 40 will be happy.

"You know what we need to do, is hire Holmgren, go back to the WCO, and start watching game film on VHS. Just like the good old days. These new fangled offenses and ipads dont work!"

Some Niner fans needs to let it go. The glory days arent something you can just replicate.

Ha, what nonsense...and bonus points for the condescension for those over 40. It's quite a leap to surmise that anyone advocating for an older coach like Holmgren or Shanahan is trying to "replicate" the glory days. How about just wanting an actual, you know, qualified NFL head coach with a proven track record of success? And what's your problem with the WCO, is it outdated or something? Holmgren coached/developed QBs like Montana, Young, Favre, Hasselbeck..did the concepts and principles he impart to them become outdated, or is it just a case where Holmgren's dementia is so advanced he just can't remember them?

And personally I was hoping for Jackson and am still intrigued by Kelly...but for people to pretend they know what these older guys have left is laughable. Right now I'd gladly take a flyer that Holmgren could come in, stabilize things, and get the good ship 49er back on course. If it's only 2-3 years he's here, so what? If he does do the aforementioned, brings back a culture of winning, then things are set up nicely for a successor. But I don't know, going with the younger no-name assistant worked out so well last year.

There are plenty of older Niner fans that think we need to just go back to doing the same things we did in the 80's, and all will be fixed. If you arent one of them, no need to feel patronized.

Suggesting that Holmgren or Shanahan are the answer is based off the successes they had 10-15+ years ago. Its sure not based on anything recent. Theres a reason theyve both been out of jobs for a while.

Name me some coaches over the age of 63 that came to a franchise in disarray, and changed the culture back into a winner in their waning years? Dick Vermeil? There arent many examples. Even then he lucked into Kurt Warner.

Im not saying "dont hire them because theyre old", im saying dont hire them because theyre out of touch with the modern NFL. The age thing just eliminates the chances they stick around for the long term. Plus Shanahan was SO volatile in Washington. Those hires would not end well.

Hiring an out of touch old guy with no QB is a great recipe for disaster.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 13, 2016 at 6:47 PM ]
There are plenty of older Niner fans that think we need to just go back to doing the same things we did in the 80's, and all will be fixed. If you arent one of them, no need to feel patronized.

Suggesting that Holmgren or Shanahan are the answer is based off the successes they had 10-15+ years ago. Its sure not based on anything recent. Theres a reason theyve both been out of jobs for a while.

Name me some coaches over the age of 63 that came to a franchise in disarray, and changed the culture back into a winner in their waning years? Dick Vermeil? There arent many examples. Even then he lucked into Kurt Warner. .

Shanahan wouldn't be my first or second choice either but I do get the argument that people are making. Its not about replicating everything 100% but bringing that sort of mentality and culture. Right now Pete Carroll's Seahawks are the spiritual heir to Walsh's 49ers. Carroll has frequently talked about all the lessons he learned about organization building and how his time with the 49ers helped to structure his own philosophy on football and how he has applied those lessons in Seattle. His defensive approach isn't much different than what George Seifert was running and what he ran under Seifert but the philosophy of how a team should be built, the way you bring a locker room together, all of that stuff is just as valid today as it was back when Bill Walsh was roaming the sidelines.

Jerry Rice and Joe Montana aren't coming through that door again but the same principles and structure that the 49ers once followed, are still just as true today. What this franchise needs is a culture shift, an actual philosophy that goes beyond "we're going to run the ball."

Just my 5 cents............*flamesuit on*
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 13, 2016 at 7:00 PM ]
Shanahan
Now we're talkin. The reason we need old farts is because they won't give a crap what baalke says. They have 30 years of contacts in the nfl so they'll be able to scrape together a decent staff. And they'll bring common sense and balance back to our play calling. No more 20 yard outs on third and 4.

I say bring both on board. Find a way.
How about neither? If were going to hire a dinosaur, at least get a dinosaur thats been coaching recently like Tom Coughlin.

Were so dumb for turning to these type of options. Might as well just sign Joe Montana and Jerry Rice to play on the team too. Then all the fans who are over age 40 will be happy.

"You know what we need to do, is hire Holmgren, go back to the WCO, and start watching game film on VHS. Just like the good old days. These new fangled offenses and ipads dont work!"

Some Niner fans needs to let it go. The glory days arent something you can just replicate.

Problem with hiring Coughlin is that he doesn't bring Xs and Os chops -- sort of a legit version of Tomsula, someone who manages the team but isn't making a lot of offensive or defensive scheme decisions. If you hire Coughlin you can only hire him knowing who the OC is going to be already.

As far as not being able to replicate the glory days, no you can't, but you are acting like "Going back to WCO" is a dinosaur thing that will fail. Walsh's WCO concepts are alive and well and winning games all over the league, why can't we use them? It's not that we have to become hardcore WCO guys again, it's that it seems like we have RUN from what won all 5 superbowls. Now we are Baalke/Parcells Bots -- Barf
Unfortunately Baalke's in the way of a successful wco. You need skill to run a wco. Do you see Baalke drafting Watters Floyd Taylor rice Jones wrathman craig?
Neither. It's been too long since Holmgren's coached...he's out of touch with today's game. Shanahan last coached in 2013...without a lot of success. I'd take Coughlin over either guy, because he's relevant, has 2 SB's under his belt and would bring a tremendous coaching staff to the Niners.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Neither. It's been too long since Holmgren's coached...he's out of touch with today's game. Shanahan last coached in 2013...without a lot of success. I'd take Coughlin over either guy, because he's relevant, has 2 SB's under his belt and would bring a tremendous coaching staff to the Niners.

The same coaching staff that has dominated nfc competition the last four years?

Shanahan for sure over Holmgren. Not thrilled about either though
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
They were both on my list from the word go as I wanted to give the 9ers some leeway as to who to pick.

But, I was just reading an article on Shanny just now, he said he would only go back to coaching if he had a chance to win the Super Bowl (in July, 2014). This team as it stands has zero chance to make the playoffs let alone winning the Super Bowl. This is a multi-year rebuilding project. In other words, I was just thinking, stranger things have happened, but don't just assume Shanny will automatically accept the job. Who knows? He could even turn it down if you could believe that. The way I look at it is, the 9ers job is nowhere as attractive as it once was and anything can happen.

That brings me to Holmgren, this is the ONLY guy whose motivation to coach the 9ers has been unwavering from the word go and I don't mean just this year, he has been saying it consistently for 2 years in a row now. Holmgren strikes me as a guy who simply loves the 9ers, not necessarily the current organization per se, but the legacy of this team. He himself was there coaching up Joe Montana and Steve Young during the heydays of the 49ers, he wants this team to do well, he wants to see it back up at the top like it should be. You have to remember this guy doesn't need the job and he doesn't want to coach any other team neither, all he cares about is the 9ers. I think it would be totally stupid if Baalke don't even talk to the guy and see where he is coming from and how he thinks this team can get out of this hole.

I am not going to say who I prefer as I would be happy with either one of them. But, if Baalke could put Holmgren onto the list, the situation could even work itself out by default should Shanny not be keen to take the job. The point is you have to get yourself covered.
Someone get Marty Schottenheimer on the phone
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Shanahan wouldn't be my first or second choice either but I do get the argument that people are making. Its not about replicating everything 100% but bringing that sort of mentality and culture. Right now Pete Carroll's Seahawks are the spiritual heir to Walsh's 49ers. Carroll has frequently talked about all the lessons he learned about organization building and how his time with the 49ers helped to structure his own philosophy on football and how he has applied those lessons in Seattle. His defensive approach isn't much different than what George Seifert was running and what he ran under Seifert but the philosophy of how a team should be built, the way you bring a locker room together, all of that stuff is just as valid today as it was back when Bill Walsh was roaming the sidelines.

Jerry Rice and Joe Montana aren't coming through that door again but the same principles and structure that the 49ers once followed, are still just as true today. What this franchise needs is a culture shift, an actual philosophy that goes beyond "we're going to run the ball."

Just my 5 cents............*flamesuit on*

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Ha, what nonsense...and bonus points for the condescension for those over 40. It's quite a leap to surmise that anyone advocating for an older coach like Holmgren or Shanahan is trying to "replicate" the glory days. How about just wanting an actual, you know, qualified NFL head coach with a proven track record of success? And what's your problem with the WCO, is it outdated or something? Holmgren coached/developed QBs like Montana, Young, Favre, Hasselbeck..did the concepts and principles he impart to them become outdated, or is it just a case where Holmgren's dementia is so advanced he just can't remember them?

And personally I was hoping for Jackson and am still intrigued by Kelly...but for people to pretend they know what these older guys have left is laughable. Right now I'd gladly take a flyer that Holmgren could come in, stabilize things, and get the good ship 49er back on course. If it's only 2-3 years he's here, so what? If he does do the aforementioned, brings back a culture of winning, then things are set up nicely for a successor. But I don't know, going with the younger no-name assistant worked out so well last year.

Name me some coaches over the age of 63 that came to a franchise in disarray, and changed the culture back into a winner in their waning years? Dick Vermeil? There arent many examples. Even then he lucked into Kurt Warner.

Im not saying "dont hire them because theyre old", im saying dont hire them because theyre out of touch with the modern NFL. The age thing just eliminates the chances they stick around for the long term. Plus Shanahan was SO volatile in Washington. Those hires would not end well.

Hiring an out of touch old guy with no QB is a great recipe for disaster.

Define "old".
Share 49ersWebzone