There are 177 users in the forums

Holmgren or Shanahan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Holmgren or Shanahan?

Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Feel like people are living in the past. I don't want either. Who do I want well both guys are no longer avaliable so maybe they should throw a ton of cash at Myer or Saban
Yep cause throwing tons of cash at college coaches works every time. See Chip Kelly, and The Ole ball coach.
Feel like people are living in the past. I don't want either. Who do I want well both guys are no longer avaliable so maybe they should throw a ton of cash at Myer or Saban

They would have to throw so much money and power to Saban it would be ridiculous. He's already making more than they paid Harbaugh when he was here, just in base salary, he gets LOTs of Bennies and under the table booster donations (I live pretty close to Tuscaloosa and know a few people involved with the football program down there, plus, around here, it's not really a secret). Plus, he has total roster control and is really chasing Bear Bryant's 6 national championships. So, it's highly unlikely he leaves just a couple shy.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

They would have to throw so much money and power to Saban it would be ridiculous. He's already making more than they paid Harbaugh when he was here, just in base salary, he gets LOTs of Bennies and under the table booster donations (I live pretty close to Tuscaloosa and know a few people involved with the football program down there, plus, around here, it's not really a secret). Plus, he has total roster control and is really chasing Bear Bryant's 6 national championships. So, it's highly unlikely he leaves just a couple shy.

Isn't Saban a past failure? Yeah, I wouldn't want him over Shanny.
I'd like to see what shanahan would implement in the run game with our already potent zone run scheme
How about Sam Wyche?
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Yep cause throwing tons of cash at college coaches works every time. See Chip Kelly, and The Ole ball coach.

Just throwing that out there. And sounds of it Kelly could be our guy so what's the difference? Just not high on any coaches left in the pros
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Hank Stram
How about neither? If were going to hire a dinosaur, at least get a dinosaur thats been coaching recently like Tom Coughlin.

Were so dumb for turning to these type of options. Might as well just sign Joe Montana and Jerry Rice to play on the team too. Then all the fans who are over age 40 will be happy.

"You know what we need to do, is hire Holmgren, go back to the WCO, and start watching game film on VHS. Just like the good old days. These new fangled offenses and ipads dont work!"

Some Niner fans needs to let it go. The glory days arent something you can just replicate.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 13, 2016 at 4:17 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Hank Stram

jack buck always called him henry
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
How about neither? If were going to hire a dinosaur, at least get a dinosaur thats been coaching recently like Tom Coughlin.

Were so dumb for turning to these type of options. Might as well just sign Joe Montana and Jerry Rice to play on the team too. Then all the fans who are over age 40 will be happy.

"You know what we need to do, is hire Holmgren, go back to the WCO, and start watching game film on VHS. Just like the good old days. These new fangled offenses and ipads dont work!"

Some Niner fans needs to let it go. The glory days arent something you can just replicate.

he is younger than tom and in the same ball park as the coaches of the hawks and cards.. if you are going to hire older, than the wild card factor should be his connection to the niner history... now as i say that, it is not due to glory days i would welcome him. i think he is what we need, a vet coach who is respected by the nfl and players in general,. remember some of our vets led by staley came right out and said, our young team needs a veteran coach. say what you want about trent but i actually think he listens to our players. he would install discipline to our team and fix the sloppy s**t we had last year. that has nothing to do with the glory days.

Both know how run a team, from off season workouts to training camp to regular season they know the routine. They will hit the ground running. Shanahan has more of an edge, Holmgren appeared done several years back but wants back in. I'd go with Shanahan.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Ha, what nonsense...and bonus points for the condescension for those over 40. It's quite a leap to surmise that anyone advocating for an older coach like Holmgren or Shanahan is trying to "replicate" the glory days. How about just wanting an actual, you know, qualified NFL head coach with a proven track record of success? And what's your problem with the WCO, is it outdated or something? Holmgren coached/developed QBs like Montana, Young, Favre, Hasselbeck..did the concepts and principles he impart to them become outdated, or is it just a case where Holmgren's dementia is so advanced he just can't remember them?

And personally I was hoping for Jackson and am still intrigued by Kelly...but for people to pretend they know what these older guys have left is laughable. Right now I'd gladly take a flyer that Holmgren could come in, stabilize things, and get the good ship 49er back on course. If it's only 2-3 years he's here, so what? If he does do the aforementioned, brings back a culture of winning, then things are set up nicely for a successor. But I don't know, going with the younger no-name assistant worked out so well last year.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
...it might be like Godzilla vs Ghidora........with Rodan and Godzilla versus 3 headed ghidora....where ghidora is Baalke...

• LVJay
  • Veteran
No one really knows what we'd get from either animal, but I picked the Rat anyway just because he looks funnier on the sideline... imagine the heat/sun in that stadium beaming down on his orange ass
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:
Shanahan if it were my choice. He's not quite as old, and isn't quite as um, "portly" as Holmgren.

I worry if Holmgren's body can stand up to the coaching grind.

They have wheelchairs for guys his size... imagine the Walrus cruising the sidelines in a Hoveround
Share 49ersWebzone