There are 216 users in the forums

College Coaches

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by filthyrich49er:
Are there any college coaches out there that's qualified to be considered for oyr HC position? I know D.Shaw didn't want the job and Jim Mora WAS an option. But I like Chris Petersen from Washington. Why don't we kick the tires on some of these guys?

It's possible we did. They don't have to announce or even request interviews with college coaches. They are frequently done in total secrecy. This is how Urban Meyer got calls from NFL teams this offseason and no one knew until he said something.
49ers would go 0-16 with Nick Saban,would bet a million dollars on it.
Originally posted by BarrySandwich:

I will take that bet.
I would consider Jimbo Fisher or Brian Kelly.

If the 49ers were able to pry either of those guys away from their cushy college jobs, I'd be cool.

I would add Shaw, but he already is a firm "no".

Urban Meyer/Nick Sabean ... Meh. They are excellent recruiters. Built to coach the college game.
Originally posted by midrdan:
I will take that bet.

Saban would be worse than Tomsula
My #1 candidate regardless of college or pros is Brian Kelly...total pipe dream
Originally posted by Giantsfan22:
"In the two years that I was here I had a very, very difficult time thinking that I could impact the organization in the way that I wanted to or in the way that I am able to in college. And it was very difficult for me. Because there is a lot of parity in the NFL. There's a lot of rules in the NFL."

Saban said that taught him a lesson.

"I kind of learned from that experience that maybe [college] is where I belonged," he said. "And I'm really happy and at peace with all of that."

Saban acknowledges that his time with the Dolphins was not a good one. He was frustrated, particularly in his second year, with the way the NFL allows teams to be built. There's the draft rather than an open recruiting field.

Saban desperately wanted Haloti Ngata in the draft his second year and tried to trade up to get him, but didn't have the ammo to do so. He had to settle for Jason Allen.

And the salary cap puts limits on a roster that the recruiting limit in college does not.

"People say you can draft a player you want to draft," Saban said. "You can draft a player that's there when you pick. It might not be the player you need. It might not be the player that you want. You also have salary-cap issues. We had them here."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/01/saban-finally-admits-messing-up-on-drew-brees.html

That combined with the short lifespan of a NFL coach, and control of a team makes some high end college jobs more attractive.

Sounds like Saban can't win without having all the advantages of being a college football powerhouse.

He basically said, "I can't win in the NFL because everyone is on an even playing field."
Brian Kelly
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I like Jimbo. Im a big fan of his offense and think he'd make at least a terrific OC. Puts emphasis on the run with a downfield throwing attack. His offense seems pretty pro style. His QBs dont usually turn out in the NFL...but they're always drafted 1st round.

When we're looking for a coach again in 2-3 years hopefully he's available.
Lane Kiffin?

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
My #1 candidate regardless of college or pros is Brian Kelly...total pipe dream

Yeah, he's the one college coach I would go for now that Shaw has been ruled out. Joe Staley would be pretty jacked about it too. He was coached by him at Central Michigan.

If that idiot Tomsula can go 5-11, its safe to say Saban could win a couple of games with this team.
No gexwo
Originally posted by midrdan:
I will take that bet.

Saban would be worse than Tomsula

No he wouldn't, at least he has experience running an organization. And if you count NFL Europe as an equivalent to running a college program in the SEC you are nuts. He is also definitely innovative and successful. I wouldn't want him as our pick, but he damn sure would have done a better job than Tomsula.
No way!

That'd be going from the frying pan into the fire.

Especially Saban.

He's one of the most important people in the state. Everywhere he goes he's treated like a deity.

Saban is in a perfect spot - money, ego trip and success.
Shaw and Mora should get interviews IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone