LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

College Coaches

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Are there any college coaches out there that's qualified to be considered for oyr HC position? I know D.Shaw didn't want the job and Jim Mora WAS an option. But I like Chris Petersen from Washington. Why don't we kick the tires on some of these guys?
no one worth a damn, maybe Saban/Meyer
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

They wouldn't touch the 9ers anyway. Both the Bama and Ohio State jobs are miles better than the 9ers job.
Originally posted by Rascal:

They wouldn't touch the 9ers anyway. Both the Bama and Ohio State jobs are miles better than the 9ers job.
any NFL job doesn't look good to some college jobs
Originally posted by filthyrich49er:
Are there any college coaches out there that's qualified to be considered for oyr HC position? I know D.Shaw didn't want the job and Jim Mora WAS an option. But I like Chris Petersen from Washington. Why don't we kick the tires on some of these guys?

One name comes to mind that will work well with Jed.

P.J Fleck, from Western "Michigan".
[ Edited by stud85 on Jan 12, 2016 at 9:07 PM ]
  • Drift
  • Veteran

Why is this?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Michigan has a really good coach.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Drift:

Why is this?

Because they have to really coach and can't just go out and get the most talented players in the country
  • Drift
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
Because they have to really coach and can't just go out and get the most talented players in the country

So the colleges don't draw from a national pool? Do they each have set regions they operate in then?

Why is this?

yeah, a lot harder to keep a NFL team playing at a high level. Especially when money is involved

• pd24
  • Veteran

So the colleges don't draw from a national pool? Do they each have set regions they operate in then?

No, they can recruit the whole country, and usually the big name schools and coaches get the top talent.
Allthetime, agree but would add dave shaw. Highly unlikely for any of the 3, due to the setup all of them have, the great schools, the great job...why would a HC in one of those 3 schools want to come to the NFL, when they found Nirvana in college. Bet that is what harbaw would say, too.

Why is this?

The biggest reason is job security. If you're Nick Saban and have established a reputation that allows you to pull in top recruits every year and you're getting paid more than 90% of NFL coaches, there's no reason to leave for the pros.

We're not going to pull a top college coach away from a job that they will likely be able to hold for 10+ years to come be the coach of a terrible team where you could be fired after one year if you don't instantly succeed. The Titans have a better chance of attracting a good coach because they have some good young pieces to build around, a franchise QB, and low expectations because they've been bad for a while. And they don't have a clown running the team and chasing away good coaches.

We'll probably approach David Shaw and get turned down. It just wouldn't make sense for a college coach who has had that kind of success to join one of the least talented teams in the NFL. He can stay and enjoy a nice long career in college or wait for a much better opportunity in the pros. We'd probably have to offer him $6-7 million a year to get him to even consider it (he's making $3 million at Stanford) and even then, I'd expect him to turn us down.
"In the two years that I was here I had a very, very difficult time thinking that I could impact the organization in the way that I wanted to or in the way that I am able to in college. And it was very difficult for me. Because there is a lot of parity in the NFL. There's a lot of rules in the NFL."

Saban said that taught him a lesson.

"I kind of learned from that experience that maybe [college] is where I belonged," he said. "And I'm really happy and at peace with all of that."

Saban acknowledges that his time with the Dolphins was not a good one. He was frustrated, particularly in his second year, with the way the NFL allows teams to be built. There's the draft rather than an open recruiting field.

Saban desperately wanted Haloti Ngata in the draft his second year and tried to trade up to get him, but didn't have the ammo to do so. He had to settle for Jason Allen.

And the salary cap puts limits on a roster that the recruiting limit in college does not.

"People say you can draft a player you want to draft," Saban said. "You can draft a player that's there when you pick. It might not be the player you need. It might not be the player that you want. You also have salary-cap issues. We had them here."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/01/saban-finally-admits-messing-up-on-drew-brees.html

That combined with the short lifespan of a NFL coach, and control of a team makes some high end college jobs more attractive.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Allthetime, agree but would add dave shaw. Highly unlikely for any of the 3, due to the setup all of them have, the great schools, the great job...why would a HC in one of those 3 schools want to come to the NFL, when they found Nirvana in college. Bet that is what harbaw would say, too.
i like Shaw and a stanford fan. Grew up going to Cardinal games watching Walsh/Green/Willingham Etc

But the one thing i know or should i say feel is that Shaws offense wont last in the NFL. his passing game is not strong/balanced enough or innovative.
Share 49ersWebzone