There are 229 users in the forums

Who Do You Want As Head Coach? 3rd Vote

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who Do You Want As Head Coach? 3rd Vote

Originally posted by Tman:
CHIIIIIIIIIIP!!!

But we'll get GE-EEE-P
[ Edited by paulk205 on Jan 12, 2016 at 1:46 AM ]
At this point I think would should hire Chip Kelly. I do not think it is worth getting into a bidding war for Hue (he ain't worth all that!!). Chip Kelly really shouldn't cost too much because he is not in high demand. Also, we should have a good offense under Chip and I think he has probably learned a lot since the Philly fiasco. Furthermore, he will not have absolute control over the roster (and I honestly think he would be good with that based on his last year in Philly). I don't think we should break the bank on any of these coaching candidates... They're just not worth it.

Shanahan, Holmgren equals "same ole same ole". Would not want to pony up big money for them either.
Originally posted by bakefootball:

Shanahan, Holmgren equals "same ole same ole".

With Holmgren, that "same ole" means getting to the Super Bowl, so I'd be happy with the same ole same ole.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

Shanahan, Holmgren equals "same ole same ole".

With Holmgren, that "same ole" means getting to the Super Bowl, so I'd be happy with the same ole same ole.

Word.
Of that list I voted for Shanahan. Not really interested in Tom Coughlin. I just think we need a proven hands-on play calling offensive minded coach.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Coughlin is very fit...he works out all the time. Don't let his age fool you...he's still a heckuva football coach. The Giants have been an up & down team largely because they haven't had a solid defense. Coughlin has played the hand his GM dealt him, which wasn't a good defense. Even if he only coaches a few more years, he knows what he's doing and you know would assemble a terrific staff. If Jackson signs elsewhere, I really can't think of a better candidate than Coughlin. Shanahan could be an alternative. Of the younger guys, Shula or Bevel might be ok. I understand those who want a younger coach...but experience counts for a lot. We'll have to wait & see how this thing rolls out. Jed & Baalke want a coach who can get them to the SB and win it. Of this list, only Coughlin and Shanahan have done that.

His teams have been down way more often than up, especially in his most recent years. He is a defensive minded coach that has a horrendous defense. He should be a HOFer but I see nothing that leads me to believe he is the answer today. It appears to have taken a rally cry every four years just to keep him from being fired; that tells me there was a lot of underachieving going on until that butt touched the hot seat. He had a good OC, he had an established and accomplished QB. He had a #1 WR that is putting up numbers that have not been seen by a player in his first two seasons yet they can't even win the weakest division in football? How?
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Jan 12, 2016 at 5:03 AM ]
Originally posted by GreatGabbert:
Rooting for Dirk Koetter here.

This!!
At this point I think would should hire Chip Kelly. I do not think it is worth getting into a bidding war for Hue (he ain't worth all that!!). Chip Kelly really shouldn't cost too much because he is not in high demand. Also, we should have a good offense under Chip and I think he has probably learned a lot since the Philly fiasco. Furthermore, he will not have absolute control over the roster (and I honestly think he would be good with that based on his last year in Philly). I don't think we should break the bank on any of these coaching candidates... They're just not worth it.

Shanahan, Holmgren equals "same ole same ole". Would not want to pony up big money for them either.

I am on the Hue bandwagon but I wouldn't be upset if Chip is the guy. I would like to think he will learn from that Philly fiasco as well. My biggest concern is whether or not he can become a better game manager. Pick and choose when to run tempo but you can't have the defense on the field for what is equivalent to 18 or 19 games in the regular season. Not going to work
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Nothing wrong with Holmgren or Shanahan if they're willing to not have 100% control on player personnel.
I really don't think no NFL coach (save for Kelly) expects to have 100% control over personnel. And I've nowhere that Jackson, or anyone interviewed, is seeking 100% control over personnel. But to expect that the HC is supposed to accept no say over the roster is just unreasonable and invites power struggles. And from I've read over the past few years Baalke has willed far too much power in this department.

This is why I think it will be an uphill task for this FO to land one of the top coaches. Trent Baalke isn't telling Holmgren or Shanahan or Tom Coughlin (who I don't want) - SB winning coaches - or even top OC like Hue Jackson that they're not gonna have a real say about the roster, especially when it comes to key positions fundamental to their offensive philosophy. This FO has a bad reputation and this is one of the reasons why.

Personally, I think Jed should hire a go-betweener between Baalke and the HC. Baalke is a strong personality that don't suffer strong personalities well. I'd hate to settle for yet another mediocre coach because they're seeking an obedient yes-man. I'd hate for this team to have another losing season in order for Jed to learn another lesson.
Hard to get to pumped about the options, I'm not excited by any of the names out there. Most of the names on the list seem capable, but not dynamic.
It will really boil down to assistants coaches I think, the coordinators will be the real difference makers.

Anybody think we will kick the tires on a Lane Kiffin? I'm quite sure Saban isn't leaving Alabama.
  • buhda
  • Veteran
Here's my thoughts on this matter ,the problem here is that the GM. wants to have the power of say controlling the coaches,players and money .He kiss butt with the owner ,so the high profile guy who has potential as a head coach who wants a little control on the mater must listen to him .So if this go on the next Niner coach will be Eric Mangini......
Originally posted by buhda:
Here's my thoughts on this matter ,the problem here is that the GM. wants to have the power of say controlling the coaches,players and money .He kiss butt with the owner ,so the high profile guy who has potential as a head coach who wants a little control on the mater must listen to him .So if this go on the next Niner coach will be Eric Mangini......
  • KP82
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Hard to get to pumped about the options, I'm not excited by any of the names out there. Most of the names on the list seem capable, but not dynamic.
It will really boil down to assistants coaches I think, the coordinators will be the real difference makers.

TBPH Chip is more dynamic than Hue.
Originally posted by KP82:
TBPH Chip is more dynamic than Hue.

At the expense of his defense, sure.
Share 49ersWebzone