LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Report: Fan sues 49ers after service dog booted out of Levi's Stadium

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jrg
  • Veteran
According to a report by TMZ Sports, James Hilburn plans to sue the San Francisco 49ers for not adhering to the Americans with Disabilities Act.

On Nov. 29, Hilburn and his service dog, Bear, entered Levi's Stadium to attend the 49ers' game against the Arizona Cardinals. They reportedly had no issues passing through security to enter into the stadium.

According to the report by TMZ Sports, Hilburn has a disease called myoclonic dystonia that causes him to have seizure associated to stress. His service dog has received training to be vocal when a possible seizure might occur.

link
wow, such bs on Levi's stadium security. Big no-no IMO the dog should have been admitted into the stadium.
Hope he wins
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
wow, such bs on Levi's stadium security. Big no-no IMO the dog should have been admitted into the stadium.

The report says the dog was indeed admitted into the stadium. They just kicked him out after. lol

I wonder if he provided proof of his condition at the time of the incident. I don't really know the regulations on this type of thing. I'm sure a lot of people try and bring their dogs places they shouldn't and claim some condition that should allow them to bring their dogs. It seems like if you had a serious medical condition you would be ready to show proof to grant your service dog access. I mean we all see people trying to drag their tiny dogs places they really shouldn't and make claims of this or that, even though their claims are false and they just want to bring their doggies with them. I'm not in any way trying to excuse the Levi's staff of their actions. I'm just wondering what the regulations are on this stuff.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

The report says the dog was indeed admitted into the stadium. They just kicked him out after. lol

I wonder if he provided proof of his condition at the time of the incident. I don't really know the regulations on this type of thing. I'm sure a lot of people try and bring their dogs places they shouldn't and claim some condition that should allow them to bring their dogs. It seems like if you had a serious medical condition you would be ready to show proof to grant your service dog access. I mean we all see people trying to drag their tiny dogs places they really shouldn't and make claims of this or that, even though their claims are false and they just want to bring their doggies with them. I'm not in any way trying to excuse the Levi's staff of their actions. I'm just wondering what the regulations are on this stuff.
maybe the dude got himself kicked out and now is trying to use the dog as leverage.

He was already in the stadium
  • Veteran
That's on Al Guido. Fire his a**.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran

As I understand the ADA you are not allowed to question the individual about the nature of the ailment, service dogs do not need identification. Service dogs must be properly trained to conduct a service action on behalf of their handler and from the description it meets the criteria. Emotional support animals are not service animals under the ADA. The only way they can legally remove them is if the animal did not behave correctly, such as barking, or making a mess. Even a service animal can removed in that case. If it is behaving properly, it cannot be removed, even if other customers complain.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Hope he wins
TMZ sports seems to be the main reporting outlet for this story. Their version makes the situation sound a bit vague.

If stadium security did anything wrong, I hope they correct it.

Also, I have to wonder: If stress can cause his seizures, then being in a stadium with thousands of people yelling might not be the best idea. Like sending Bruce Banner to a strip club.
[ Edited by zonkers on Jan 9, 2016 at 7:25 PM ]
If the dog wins hopefully he can buy the team and run it he would do a better job than the Yorks have.

• Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Raul98:
If the dog wins hopefully he can buy the team and run it he would do a better job than the Yorks have.

You win!
Originally posted by Raul98:

Kujo!
Was the dog a Yorkie Terrier?
Originally posted by rdc1:

As I understand the ADA you are not allowed to question the individual about the nature of the ailment, service dogs do not need identification. Service dogs must be properly trained to conduct a service action on behalf of their handler and from the description it meets the criteria. Emotional support animals are not service animals under the ADA. The only way they can legally remove them is if the animal did not behave correctly, such as barking, or making a mess. Even a service animal can removed in that case. If it is behaving properly, it cannot be removed, even if other customers complain.

The dog is supposed to have tags. If not, the man can be asked what the dog is trained to do. Not sure what transpired but there might have been a f**k up on both sides.
"myoclonic dystonia that causes him to have seizure associated to stress". And he goes to a 49er game???? He deserved to get kicked out. Take a Xanax, this dog should not qualify as a service dog.
Share 49ersWebzone