LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

Head Coach Candidate-Dirk Koetter

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sean Payton...Hue Jackson...Dirk Koetter?

This is not good. At this point we aren't talking about upper echelon candidates. If I'm Jed I'm going with Chip, Shanny, or Holmgren.

I also wouldn't mind Niners waiting until tomorrow night and going HARD for Saban.

This team needs a successful, experienced coach that commands respect. Koetter? Seriously?
If Jed hires this guy he better be prepared for the riots
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:
Sean Payton...Hue Jackson...Dirk Koetter?

This is not good. At this point we aren't talking about upper echelon candidates. If I'm Jed I'm going with Chip, Shanny, or Holmgren.

I also wouldn't mind Niners waiting until tomorrow night and going HARD for Saban.

This team needs a successful, experienced coach that commands respect. Koetter? Seriously?

A coach cant get to the upper echelon with out being given the opportunity. Dirk koetter has a pretty good resume with young nfl qb's. hue has made qb's anywhere he has gone perform well, this includes jason campbell. sean payton, he isnt upper echelon but chip is? cmon man. Shanny hasnt been great since the late 90's, holmgren went 4-12 in 2008, his last year and was a disaster in cleveland as an exec. Hated the idea of chip then read the belicheck interview about him, changed my mind, but sounds like he didnt have a great interview.
Originally posted by GreatGabbert:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Matt Barrows Verified account ‏@mattbarrows 3m3 minutes ago League source: #49ers interviewed Bucs OC Dirk Koetter today.

Pretty good OC, don't see him as a head coach and he had quite a few issues while at ASU.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/buccaneers/story/1630871-koetters-last-gig-hc-raise-red-flags

Koetter's record as the leader of the Sun Devils was middling, as the former Boise State head coach went 40-34 over six seasons at Arizona State after an impressive run with the Blue Turf Broncos. But it was what happened off the field that should have Bucs fans, and ownership, concerned.

Some of Koetter's questionable (at best) decisions were outlined in this article from John Dougherty of the Phoenix Sun-Times, dated September 6, 2007. Much of the early focus of the article was on the school's decision to hire Dennis Erickson as Koetter's replacement. But about halfway through the piece, Koetter's red flags start to pop up:

In the months leading up to the March 26, 2005, murder of Brandon Falkner, then-coach Dirk Koetter did everything possible to get his star running back, Loren Wade, back on the team.

Wade had been suspended from the team in fall 2004 after accepting payments from an athletic department friend with whom he'd had a sexual affair. Wade missed the rest of the 2004 season, but by early 2005, Koetter had decided to reinstate the running back. Koetter made that decision even though he'd received extremely troubling information concerning Wade's behavior.

Koetter was aware that Wade had threatened to kill a female gymnast. Koetter also had received a report from ASU's women's soccer coach that players were terrified because Wade possessed a gun. He also knew that Wade's girlfriend had called police, fearing Wade was going to destroy her apartment after he threatened her life.

Rather than report Wade's increasingly dangerous behavior to campus police or to student-affairs authorities, Koetter elected to counsel Wade personally.

Koetter's decision allowed Wade to careen out of control in early 2005. If campus police and university authorities had known he was carrying a gun and making death threats, he almost certainly would've been expelled from ASU.

It's hard to read those words and not be convinced that Koetter's decision to prioritize keeping his starting running back over his safety and well-being, and that of the Arizona State community, and that his decisions indirectly led to someone's death.

But while a university investigation admitted that "errors in judgement" were made by Koetter in handling Wade, he was not reprimanded by the school. Not only that, he was even given a contract extension and a raise later that same year.

The problems didn't end there for Koetter:

After suspending Wade in 2004, Koetter named Hakim Hill starting running back. Koetter had suspended Hill in 2001 after Hill was charged with sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl. Hill pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of assault causing injury and Koetter reinstated Hill to the team in 2002. Hill led ASU in rushing in 2004 but was kicked off the team again before the 2004 Sun Bowl for getting in a fight with a teammate.

That's right. Koetter reinstated a player who admitted to sexaully assulting a 15-year-old girl.

There's more.

Koetter is a defendant in a lawsuit filed by an ASU student alleging she was sexually assaulted in her dorm room by defensive back Darnel Henderson in March 2004. No criminal charges were filed against Henderson, who was kicked off the team in April 2004. The lawsuit filed in March 2006 alleges that Koetter and ASU "created and fostered an environment that encouraged inappropriate behavior by football players, including sexual harassment of female students and other women."

Arizona State eventually settled that lawsuit, agreeing to pay out $850,000 to the victim.

Many Bucs fans were unhappy with the Bucs for drafting Jameis Winston with the No. 1 overall pick in 2015, after he had been accused of sexually assualting a fellow student while at Florida State. Winston was never charged and was exonerated my multiple investigations, but the issue was a major sticking point for many, and remains so for some.

Considering the backlash over the drafting of Winston (who was never charged or convicted), I wonder how Bucs fans, or the Glazers, feel about their potential new head coach having reinstated a player to his team who had admitted to sexually assaulting a minor. Or was sued for "fostering an environment" of sexual harrassment and inappropriate behavior by his players.

Koetter seems to be the hot name when it comes to the Bucs' search for a new head coach, and there's no denying the on-field success his unit had in 2015. But Koetter clearly has some skeletons in his closet, and the Glazers will have to confront them before pinning their future on him.

This makes no sense. First off, the female sport teams knew of the threat toward their athletes BEFORE they told Koetter. Secondly. at least one individual spoke DIRECTLY to the police about Ward. How does it become Dirk Koetter's fault? If he knew and no one else did, maybe you have a case against him, but it seems like he was the last person to know in most of the cases mentioned. Would kicking the player off the team have prevented the murder? No, it just would have made him go off his nut sooner than he did. Who writes this crap?

I can't believe I'm actually defending Koetter, but that article is purposefully written to skew things against Koetter.

First take Hakim Hill, Hill did NOT admit to sexually assaulting a 15-year old girl. And the charge stemmed form Hakim Hill when he was in high school, NOT while at ASU. He pleaded guilty of assault causing injury. (Still not great, but hate to break it to people but lots of football players in college have an arrest record). I mean if you are going to say a coach is unfit because a player on his team has an arrest record, pretty sure you can get rid of almost every single coach.

Regarding Wade, this is what happened:
"Arizona State gymnastics Coach John Spini told Associated Press that Dixon told him Wade had threatened her because she told a friend that she had seen Wade with another woman and word got back to von Blommestein. Wade later apologized and the incident was nearly forgotten when Ray Leone, von Blommestein's coach, learned that the woman was scared to break up with Wade and that the running back might have a gun.

Early this month, Leone took his concerns to Koetter, who said he called Wade's mother, Patsy Webb, in Los Angeles. Koetter said she denied that her son had a gun.

A few hours later, Wade called his coach, telling him that his relationship with von Blommestein was ending. Koetter asked Wade to allow von Blommestein to speak to him, and when she did she said she was not in danger and that she doubted Wade had a gun."

I'm not saying Koetter did a great or even okay job. But the article makes it out like Koetter intentionally brushed things under the rug and knew Wade was going to kill someone. Obviosuly something that serious should be reported to the police. But is von Blommestein at fault? Is Spini at fault? Is LEaone at fault? Is Wade's mom at fault? Why is Koetter 100% responsible for that....he just coaches football. Koetter believed Wade was ending the relationship with von Blommestein and didn't have a gun. (von Blommestein called Wade days after they "broke up" at 2:30 AM at a night club, Wade arrived and saw her talking to a guy in a BMW. Wade walked up and shot the guy (who happened to be a former ASU football player).

The Darnell Henderson incident is far more damning of Koetter IMO. When arriving on campus, "Henderson, a defensive back, was in trouble within days, according to witnesses and documents discovered in the victim's pretrial investigation. He was accused of grabbing and touching women in the dorm, exposing himself to female staff members and threatening freshman women.

When confronted over his misconduct, Henderson told an ASU official that he wanted women to fear him and that it was important for him to "show them their place."
"
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 11, 2016 at 11:03 AM ]
Honestly I wouldn't be mad at getting koetter. Koetter, Shula, mcdaniels or hue and I'll be good. I can care less if hue goes to the joke of the Browns as long as we end up with one of those 3
I thought they fired their coach to hire him. Seems like they are just going through formalities.
  • thl408
Seems more Air Coryell. Was OC for Blaine Gabbert when Gabbert was a rookie.

Was OC for ATL when they lost to the 49ers in the nfccg.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
According to Schefty on 97.5 Fanatic, Kutty could be deciding between the 49ers and Bucs.

Phoenix, pepper thy angus!

Bucs fans however seem convinced that he'll stay with Tampa.

Edit: East coast radio affiliate, not bay area

Should just stop posting every speculative piece of news let process play out.
[ Edited by FL9er on Jan 13, 2016 at 7:11 AM ]
lol
Originally posted by FL9er:
According to Schefty on 97.5 Fanatic, Kutty could be deciding between the 49ers and Bucs.

Phoenix, pepper thy angus!

Bucs fans however seem convinced that he'll stay with Tampa.

Edit: East coast radio affiliate, not bay area

Should just stop posting every speculative piece of news let process play out.

LOL this would go against everything they said they wanted this off season. I'll be pissed if he's the guy but wouldn't be surprised because that's what SF does.

He's the last one on the list for sure.

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Honestly I wouldn't be mad at getting koetter. Koetter, Shula, mcdaniels or hue and I'll be good. I can care less if hue goes to the joke of the Browns as long as we end up with one of those 3

I don't know why were aren't trying for Mcdaniels. He's a pretty damn good coordinator and could be a good coach with a second opportunity. I like Shula as well but I want Saban. Far fetched sadly. Hue is the guy why the hell haven't we even offered
This
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
If Jed hires this guy he better be prepared for the riots
Yea some guy on Colin Cowherd show just said the Niners interview with him went really well. Down to him Shanny, Coughflin and Chip
[ Edited by lamontb on Jan 13, 2016 at 10:01 AM ]
Gonna be this guy.
Gabbert old OC, no thanks. Tomsula 2.0 imo.
Share 49ersWebzone