LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 186 users in the forums

St.Louis Rams week 17 coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by frenz:
Just want to give a huge thank you out to thl and jd for these threads each week. These, along with the stickied All22 thread, have immeasurably helped those of us new to the sport gain a better understanding of what we're watching each week. Your time and efforts have been greatly appreciated!

+1
After all the coaching hired are settled could you guys make another thread like this but for our new coaches? I'd love to see the schemes they're bringing with them here.

Thank so much for the informative threads.
  • thl408
Originally posted by whiskeyjack:
To thl and jd, thanks folks for work breaking down the plays and explanations of the concepts over the season and the couple of times you braved the haynezone. Most of what I've learned of this game this 1st year has come from these threads and all 22 along with G-B-U and thoughts after 2nd view . Looking forwards to your wisdom next season. I'd definitely vote you both for HOF.
Probably a stupid newbie question but will you guys do any posting on the big moves in the play off games/ SB or only the SF season games? I'd love to see the mechanics involved in something like GB O/L holding a pocket(?) without a step back for about 15s in wk17 against Min.
A few key plays from last year's Super Bowl were cut up, nothing from the other playoff games. Maybe do the same thing depending on how interesting the Super Bowl is this season.

Originally posted by shmuck:
After all the coaching hired are settled could you guys make another thread like this but for our new coaches? I'd love to see the schemes they're bringing with them here.

Thank so much for the informative threads.
I was going to do that last season, but there's no all22 film from when Geep was OC, when Mangini was HC, or of World League Football. If the coaches hired this season have all22 film, I'll do that.
GEWD STUFF !!!! ALL YEAR
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Since you've analyzed more game tape than anyone else here in curious what you think this team needs going forward. Also, which young players are looking like keepers versus which are not performing as well as hoped?
  • thl408
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Since you've analyzed more game tape than anyone else here in curious what you think this team needs going forward. Also, which young players are looking like keepers versus which are not performing as well as hoped?

There's too much to look at and I mostly look more at scheme/playcalling than I do at individual players, but I'll try to best answer. I tend to give young players leeway because I think they'll learn and develop, until they show that they can't learn and develop.

Liked what I saw from Hyde, Lynch, Ward, AA. Was not too impressed, but will be patient with Tartt, Hodges, Dial.

Didn't watch/notice much of Harold, Ellington, Tiller.

I don't know what schemes Acker/Tartt played in college so I don't know how much of an adjustment Manigni's scheme is. I know it was a big adjustment for any DB that was on the roster from when Fangio was here.

Boldin's starter WR spot needs to be improved. He is at best a slot WR because he can't threaten vertically, and that's a big limitation for a WR getting starter snaps.
The guards need a huge improvement. Boone is okay at zone blocking, on his best days. Devey was lol. Tiller is more built for power blocking. How Hyde averaged over 4.0 ypc was a minor miracle. They must develop Martin and Thomas, or address this area via FA. Drafting another rookie(s) here is just another crapshoot.
Originally posted by thl408:
There's too much to look at and I mostly look more at scheme/playcalling than I do at individual players, but I'll try to best answer. I tend to give young players leeway because I think they'll learn and develop, until they show that they can't learn and develop.

Liked what I saw from Hyde, Lynch, Ward, AA. Was not too impressed, but will be patient with Tartt, Hodges, Dial.

Didn't watch/notice much of Harold, Ellington, Tiller.

I don't know what schemes Acker/Tartt played in college so I don't know how much of an adjustment Manigni's scheme is. I know it was a big adjustment for any DB that was on the roster from when Fangio was here.

Boldin's starter WR spot needs to be improved. He is at best a slot WR because he can't threaten vertically, and that's a big limitation for a WR getting starter snaps.
The guards need a huge improvement. Boone is okay at zone blocking, on his best days. Devey was lol. Tiller is more built for power blocking. How Hyde averaged over 4.0 ypc was a minor miracle. They must develop Martin and Thomas, or address this area via FA. Drafting another rookie(s) here is just another crapshoot.

Martin is still younger than a lot of the guys coming out in the draft this year, Armstead and Harold too. Have to take that into account. Lynch will be a star if he stays healthy. Not a fan of "The Handsome One`, though, hope they land Derrick Henry in the draft. I don`t think it`s even a guarantee that Hyde is the starter next season.
[ Edited by GreatGabbert on Jan 10, 2016 at 12:05 AM ]
  • thl408
Just wanted to wrap up this game, and the Tomsula era.

Gabbert's best throw of the day imo.

Inverted Smash vs Cover1
Torrey will run a Post-Corner route against man coverage.

Torrey breaks to the Post and gets the CB leaning towards the inside(blue).

Break to the Corner with Gabbert mid windup.

+31 yards
  • thl408
The play that forced a punt on STL's last possession of OT. This is the Mangenius doing his thing - creating confusion with pass protection.

This is about 2 seconds before the snap of the ball. Guess which defenders are rushing. There will be 5.
4Q 3rd & 10
Sail concept vs Cover 1 blitz

It looks as though Bow is coming on a blitz.

Bow peels back into coverage. The real 5 rushers are shown below (numbered).

TJE takes up 2 blockers as Brock comes unblocked.

Incomplete pass. Punt.

• thl408
A truly proper ending to the Tomsula era would be on a punt, but a field goal will do.

gg
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenz:
Just want to give a huge thank you out to thl and jd for these threads each week. These, along with the stickied All22 thread, have immeasurably helped those of us new to the sport gain a better understanding of what we're watching each week. Your time and efforts have been greatly appreciated!

me too
Originally posted by thl408:
A truly proper ending to the Tomsula era would be on a punt, but a field goal will do.

gg

Too bad Minnesota couldn't have borrowed this guy to day
Share 49ersWebzone