LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

Who thinks we could have a solid 4-3 Defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
When i really started to follow this team hardcore, we were 4-3 back when we had Julian Peterson, Jeff Ulbrich, Jamie Winborn. i liked it.

and wasn't for the 3-4 that Nolan brought in, but eventually i came around and i liked the schemes of the 3-4.

Now i wouldn't want to go back, 3-4 is what i like.

I feel like we got the guys on the DL to make a 4-3 work. but my worry would be the linebackers. I'm not sure what we would do there besides Bowman.

Would Lynch be a DE or a OLB. Harold would need to step up as well. Maybe if we can invest in a good OLB free agent it can be a little better.

But i guess depending on the coach we get.

Exactly!! The thing is, the 3-4 was once rare enough to make it relatively easy to pick up the sort of players you needed. It is common now and that doesn't give you any advantage. But I think it is a more flexible base than the 4-3 and I have grown used to it. But, as you say, it will all be down to the new coaching staff.

It's like the first cuckoo of Spring, waiting for the first 4-3 thread. Early this year!!
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Not unless we got a slasher DT like Aaron Donald.

Yup. That's the 3tech I'm referring to. The current 49er DLs are too heavy to be a slashing 3 tech.

We could try to use Armstead as a 3 tech.
At 6'8" he is way too tall and large framed. An effective 3tech can get slim to slash into his gap. Some of the best 3techs are 6'3 and under. ADonald is 6'0. Geno Atkins is 6'1. SFloyd 6'3. The tallest good one I can think of is GMcCoy at 6'4. Being short helps with bursting off the line and leverage against guards.

When we go nickel Armstead lineups a 3 tech don't? Also there are lots of good 3 tech that are near 6'4 like Tommy Kelly, Kevin Williams, Shaun Rodgers, Calais Campbell(he's a 5 tech but he plays almost half of the snaps as a 3 tech) and Justin Smith(same thing of Calais Campbell).
  • thl408

Yup. That's the 3tech I'm referring to. The current 49er DLs are too heavy to be a slashing 3 tech.

At 6'8" he is way too tall and large framed. An effective 3tech can get slim to slash into his gap. Some of the best 3techs are 6'3 and under. ADonald is 6'0. Geno Atkins is 6'1. SFloyd 6'3. The tallest good one I can think of is GMcCoy at 6'4. Being short helps with bursting off the line and leverage against guards.

When we go nickel Armstead lineups a 3 tech don't? Also there are lots of good 3 tech that are near 6'4 like Tommy Kelly, Kevin Williams, Shaun Rodgers, Calais Campbell(he's a 5 tech but he plays almost half of the snaps as a 3 tech) and Justin Smith(same thing of Calais Campbell).
Yes when the 49ers go nickel AA plays as a 3tech, but what about on base downs when he has to play the run? Guards are shorter than tackles, generally speaking, so they naturally play with a low pad level. Combine this with how tall AA is and he can be working with a disadvantage.
Yes there are good 3techs that are 6'4, but AA is not 6'4. He is absurdly tall for a football player.
Ditch the 4-3 and lets get a scrum goin

Yes when the 49ers go nickel AA plays as a 3tech, but what about on base downs when he has to play the run? Guards are shorter than tackles, generally speaking, so they naturally play with a low pad level. Combine this with how tall AA is and he can be working with a disadvantage.
Yes there are good 3techs that are 6'4, but AA is not 6'4. He is absurdly tall for a football player.

Good points.
Honestly , 3-4 or 4-3 , I really don't care ...what I do care about and concerns me, is the lack of pressure our defense gets on the QB, last seasons pass rush was very poor, and didn't keep offensive coordinators up late at night ...next season that needs to change, our secondary is still young, and held up well against the better passing attacks in the league, despite lacking a pass rush, our DB's held their own, just think how effective they will be once our front 7 is putting consistent pressure on the QB ...our front 7 needs some teeth next year, that's for sure
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
3-4 or 4-3, we need to get the right coach to run this defense..
  • thl408
I actually think Mangini has it right when it comes to utilizing the flexibility of the 3-4. He disguises the 4th rusher, mixes up his fronts, brings creative blitzes - three things the 3-4 has over the 4-3. I just think his backend coverage is too simplistic: Cover3, Fire Zone, Cover 1 blitz. That's it. And all season I was looking for some intricate pattern matching and saw none.

If Mangini's front 7 scheme was combined with Fangio's backend coverage, that would be a nice defense.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
The way Trent drafts Hybrid Safety Line Backers I think he's still trying to put together his 2-5 defense.
I used to be a 4-3 guy. But I have really gotten to like the 3-4. With the DC it is a difficult defense to attack. I think you can do more from a personnel standpoint. As a defense you can create the matchups you want.

Share 49ersWebzone