LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Head Coach candidate Chip Kelly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wouldn't hate this. But I hope Baalke thinks long and hard about this. Chip seems as power hungry as Harbaugh is, and doesn't have as good of a track record in the NFL as Jimmy boy does.

My personal favorite is Hue Jackson.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Wonder who he would trade first? Bowman? lol

that's my problem with Kelly , practically gives away players that don't fit "his system" ...NO to Chip Kelly
Originally posted by thl408:
My thoughts on Chip from another thread.
Not a fan of Chip Kelly and his offense. The effectiveness of his offense is aided by how college players can't spend hours watching film, practicing, and honing in on tendencies. If the offense has highly skilled speed, it may work on a game by game basis, but it will be inconsistent. Any good NFL defense worth a darn will tackle well and be prepared by lining up properly presnap to also give the QB false reads.

At its root, it's a high percentage pass scheme rooted around RAC, while running inside zone. Kap and Hyde would fit in if Kap can become better at short range throws that perfectly lead his WRs, but there aren't enough playmakers (skilled speed) at WR. Also, NFL players are obviously much more highly conditioned than college players, so the up tempo pace is a bit less effective. Chip's innovative offense is much more suited for college. The 49ers can do worse than Chip, but I'd prefer that his offense not come here.

I don't think his scheme fits with a 53 man roster. It murders his own defense by making them spend more time on the field because of his need to be hyper on offense and have no sense of time of possession. IMO, it's only a fit for the 90 player rosters of the NCAA.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Eagle fans did the math on some of the main defensive starter's snap counts...

during the 16 game regular season, some of the D played snap counts equal to that of a 18-19 game season.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Wonder who he would trade first? Bowman? lol

Bowman for Sean Lee

Hyde for Toby Gerhart

Jaquiski Tartt for Craig Dahl

You wash your mouth out with soap right now young man.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
dude traded away starting OL, McCoy and traded FOR Bradford. nuff said. DONOTWANT!
Originally posted by boast:

during the 16 game regular season, some of the D played snap counts equal to that of a 18-19 game season.

gahdamn. If he comes here this team better score tds every damn drive.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I agree w/Mod...Kelly runs a very up-tempo offense, which is exciting for fans to watch, but it also kills his defense. That won't work in SF. Have to agree, his system works much better in college where he has a roster of 70-75 players. It burns out players in the NFL with only 53 suited up on game day.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:
My thoughts on Chip from another thread.
Not a fan of Chip Kelly and his offense. The effectiveness of his offense is aided by how college players can't spend hours watching film, practicing, and honing in on tendencies. If the offense has highly skilled speed, it may work on a game by game basis, but it will be inconsistent. Any good NFL defense worth a darn will tackle well and be prepared by lining up properly presnap to also give the QB false reads.

At its root, it's a high percentage pass scheme rooted around RAC, while running inside zone. Kap and Hyde would fit in if Kap can become better at short range throws that perfectly lead his WRs, but there aren't enough playmakers (skilled speed) at WR. Also, NFL players are obviously much more highly conditioned than college players, so the up tempo pace is a bit less effective. Chip's innovative offense is much more suited for college. The 49ers can do worse than Chip, but I'd prefer that his offense not come here.

I don't think his scheme fits with a 53 man roster. It murders his own defense by making them spend more time on the field because of his need to be hyper on offense and have no sense of time of possession. IMO, it's only a fit for the 90 player rosters of the NCAA.
Good point about how the defensive side gets worn out. He is always 100mph on offense, and when they go 3 and out, the game ends with possession time tilted something like 20 minutes to 40 minutes for the opposing team. Even though it could be categorized as a 'modern day WCO philosophy' (high percentage timing passes for RAC) I read lots of criticism of his offense.

No
  • thl408
Originally posted by boast:

That's a ridiculous count. If the team makes the playoffs, that defense is burnt. It'd have to be a defensive rotation that is 20 deep.
Aside from all the bone headed mistakes he would probably makes in trades and cuts, he will most likely keep Kap. I imagine that is the reason he called Jed about the position. You would think he would be calling up the titans but i guess Kap is the QB who fits his system the most
Good point about how the defensive side gets worn out. He is always 100mph on offense, and when they go 3 and out, the game ends with possession time tilted something like 20 minutes to 40 minutes for the opposing team. Even though it could be categorized as a 'modern day WCO philosophy' (high percentage timing passes for RAC) I read lots of criticism of his offense.

I think the main thing Walsh's offense did was pass to get a lead, but the goal was to use this lead to ultimately wear down the opposing defense and pound the ball to salt away the game.

Chip's offense seems to be only concerned with racking up yards and points. Which is obviously the point, but not at the detriment of your own defense. Just look at his numbers the first two years he had 6000+ yards but the defense also gave up 6000+ yards every year and had to defend over 1100 plays each year.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 4, 2016 at 11:56 AM ]
HELL no. this guy is a gimmick. Defense is on the field too long. He has a HUGE ego and from what has been leaked out he didn't get along w/ players. Also, his reputation around the league with players in regards to a prominent ethnic group cannot be good.

HELL F"N NO
Share 49ersWebzone