LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Head coach candidate Mike Shanahan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BMoore56:
Bc he wowed the league since Elway.....

Guys like Cutler, Plummer and RG3 all did pretty well under him.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I wouldn't like the hire

You're entitled. Why?

Usually wants full control and I wouldn't give him that much power. Horrible personnel guy. Had issues with previous front office and played his qb on one leg and further injured him. Just ran a total s**t show in DC from top to bottom. I think he's too old. Love his ZBS though. That would pretty much be my only positive.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Personally, I think Shannahan has to be the front runner. He's connected to a 49er SB. York wants that connection.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Too old. I am hoping for someone a little younger, still an offensive coach though. Hopefully one that would be around for a while.

I feel this way as well. but if he's still got it in him and he could get these guys to play for him then sure.
Fans get caught up in glory years of past and forget that everyone has a "shelf life." Even great coaches peak. We don't need a old coaching like Holmgren or Shanahan. Maybe in a different capacity, but I would prefer a younger coach. Someone who has been involved in the game recently. Brings some new energy.
Thougt we're looking for a head coach not father time
Originally posted by DJamhour:
Too old. I am hoping for someone a little younger, still an offensive coach though. Hopefully one that would be around for a while.

I feel this way as well. but if he's still got it in him and he could get these guys to play for him then sure.

A couple of years bringing these youngsters together and making a team out of them. And grooming his choice of replacement for when he hangs it up. Could appeal.
Here's my feeling with Shanahan. If Jed said he was "very impressed" with his interview last year, THEN he says he's letting Baalke pick the coach, does that negate Jed's good feelings for Shanahan last year?

I mean, he's the owner for God sakes. If Shanahan is hired, then to me Jed still had an influence in the hiring. Just my two cents....
Originally posted by English:
And go.......

Shannahan lost my respect a few years ago, when he put on the field an obviously very injured RGIII. For that, Shannahan is scum.
Originally posted by highwayone:
Here's my feeling with Shanahan. If Jed said he was "very impressed" with his interview last year, THEN he says he's letting Baalke pick the coach, does that negate Jed's good feelings for Shanahan last year?

I mean, he's the owner for God sakes. If Shanahan is hired, then to me Jed still had an influence in the hiring. Just my two cents....

Jed hired Nolan, Singletary, Harbaugh, and Tomasulo. Jed will hire the next coach as well.

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Pass
I think Mike would be a slam dunk at Miami. Tannehill in a rollout stretch offense would be amazing as long as they keep Miller.

he has a kid though.
Last time he was in town, he built designed and ran the best offense in modern day nfl history.

WHat's not to like?
Look, I'm not a 49ers fan so take it for what its worth. I'm not sure there is a building in the Bay area that comfortably hold both Shanahan and his ego. He is not any more willing to bend or share power than anybody else in this front office. Putting him with York and Baalke would be like pouring gasoline on a campfire. The results would be spectacular and likely mesmerizing - and accomplish nothing useful. The fact I have detested the Red Lobster since his days in Denver may have colored my opinion though!
Share 49ersWebzone