LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

What do you want first? Elite offense or elite defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Elite ownership

This ^ .....but we only have elitist ownership
I like balance.

But if I had to choose one, I'm going offense in the modern age... With the exception of the RB position defensive players fade/flame out quicker, if you get the offense sorted you'll have a longer period of time with high level play to develop a defense than you would in the reverse.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
d
I'd sooner have an elite offense.

If we had elite offense I think our current D would be fine - and actually maybe much improved if it (a) was on the field less and (b) got to protect a lead every now and again!
I want winners! Offense
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by strickac:
Pat's just won with an elite offense, but typically I'd go with the defense. It's more consistent.

If we're talking about a new HC and his expertise, it's got to be offense. A GM and a DC can build a stout defense. It's rare to have a strong offense without an offensive-minded HC.

This is interesting. I wanna test this theory. Let's look at the top 10 offenses...

1. Arizona - Arians, offense
2. New Orleans - Payton, offense
3. Pittsburgh - Tomlin, defense
I think Arians deserves a lot of credit for building this. He got a HC job out it and is atop this list.
4. Seattle - Carroll, defense
The running game and QB's all-purpose yards carry this unit.
5. Tampa Bay - Lovie Smith, defense
Strong run game, but garbage-time stats?
6. New England - Belichick, defense
He's the best in the league.
7. Atlanta - Quinn, defense
Kyle Shanahan's running attack is responsible. He's as good as it gets at establishing a run game..
8. Giants - Coughlin, offense
9. Chargers - McCoy, offense
10. Jets - Bowles, defense
Middle of the pack stats...

4 offensive guys and 6 defensive.

I still think there's something to your idea and we need an offensive-minded HC. That said, the most important ingredient for sustained offensive success is having a big-time QB.

ITs kind of tough to pull anything from that. Without a top QB, you need a competent OC that can manufacture a rushing attack.

TB surprises me. I wonder how they look if you only compared 1st half stats. They were in garbage time so often that they inflated their numbers. Martin was quietly very close to getting the rushing title this year though.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
the Niners won Super Bowls when they had elite offenses. we had an elite defense in 2011 and 2012 and didn't win a Super Bowl.
I just want a real coach this year. BUT, I'm gonna pick elite defense and GREAT special teams. I truly believe we would have won it all in 2011 if it wasn't for KW.
I'm tired of this elite defense thing. I'm also tired of this "power run" scheme.

I want a daggum west coast offense.

Ill take an elite offense and i think its really time we think about drafting or buying a shut down corner

Lots of teams have a stud wr but the fall off is drastic after that. Ex falcons, bengals and look at GB offense when they lost nelson or the problems NE has had when edelman went down

Not saying it will solve all problems but with Bow coming around and lynch looking promising with armstead as well. We need a shut down CB
I want an elite offense!
Its an offensive league. The best offensive minds paired with the best QB's is how you win consistently in todays game.
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:
Can I split it and have a elite run game and pass rush?

2011 niners were a beauty to watch
Share 49ersWebzone