LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Deja vu all over again.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After today's meaningless win, I couldn't but help remember 2010's last game. It also at the time meant nothing, was coached by tomsula after singetary was let go, and the team lost a couple draft spots. Only to helplessly watch the cards, who we beat in that last game, take Patrick Peterson the following April. The rest is history. I hate when there's times I have to root for my team to lose, but as stated above, sometimes it's for the whole big picture good. Whatever!
Hopefully this 7th overall pick isn't an "Aldon Smith" or an "Andre Carter", but ends up being a "Bryant Young" pick!!!!!! Go Niners in 2016!!!!!
Aldon was a great pick. He just screwed up his life, that's not on Baalke. No one was complaining when he was sacking QBs at a record setting pace.
Well the Rams didn't jump ahead of us, so that's good. Only the Ravens and Jags jumped us.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Lol Aldon isn't on Baalke. If Aldon doesn't act like a damn idiot off the field, he is a potential HOF caliber player.
Jj watt went 11th in that draft. Robert Quinn went like 14th. It's really not a big deal.
Aldon was an absolute monster but had his own demons. Trust me that isn't on Baalke, but we should still have a shot at an absolute stud. Just have to hit on the pick but likely won't get to draft someone like Goff.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
Jj watt went 11th in that draft. Robert Quinn went like 14th. It's really not a big deal.

Nope! We're guaranteed to get a bust because were at 7 instead of 5!

Originally posted by crabman82:

Same GM that passed on them still exist here. Yes it is.

Aldon was a reach at that moment in the draft. Turn out to be golden but f**k it up. You can thank Tomsula for that too, winning the last game in 2010.
[ Edited by stud85 on Jan 3, 2016 at 6:07 PM ]
Yes it is on Baalke. We could have had JJ Watt. The best defensive player in the league. Instead we got a gangster and a drunk who got himself kicked out of the league in a few short years. Character matters. Off the field behavior matters. If it gets you kicked right out of the league how are you helping your team? If you spend all your time getting arrested and in drug rehab how are you helping your team? That's terrible for a GM to overlook so many character flaws of a player drafter so high. He killed his team with that pick. We should have a great and productive player from that pick still. Instead we got absolutely nothing.
I was just referring to Peterson going at 5 and a lot of you guys like me we're pissed about it cause we knew that last win took him away. oh well. The new staff will get a great draft class!

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes it is on Baalke. We could have had JJ Watt. The best defensive player in the league. Instead we got a gangster and a drunk who got himself kicked out of the league in a few short years. Character matters. Off the field behavior matters. If it gets you kicked right out of the league how are you helping your team? If you spend all your time getting arrested and in drug rehab how are you helping your team? That's terrible for a GM to overlook so many character flaws of a player drafter so high. He killed his team with that pick. We should have a great and productive player from that pick still. Instead we got absolutely nothing.

Do you consider Charles Haley a bad pick too?
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Aldon was an absolute monster but had his own demons. Trust me that isn't on Baalke, but we should still have a shot at an absolute stud. Just have to hit on the pick but likely won't get to draft someone like Goff.

This. I remember a time when people were responsible for their own actions. I also wonder if the people trashing the Aldon Smith pick did it during the 2011 or 2012 season.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

The character flaws were not apparent at the time of drafting. The responsibility lies with Smith.
Originally posted by jrg:
Lol Aldon isn't on Baalke. If Aldon doesn't act like a damn idiot off the field, he is a potential HOF caliber player.

Let's be real here, Justin smith helped that kid a lot with his play on the field
Aldon's games vs Chicago and Pittsburgh on MNF were legendary.
Share 49ersWebzone