LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Current players under contract ,most likely traded or cut after season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I just looked at over the cap, and it says we'd save 2.15 million. He's going into the final year of his deal, thus the cap hit would be 691,668. Upon looking at the numbers, cutting Dorsey would make sense in that it opens up a starting spot for Armstead, and gives us a little extra money to improve the roster else where.

I thought Dorsey played much much better as a NT for us that a 3-4 DE. If for some reason we can't resign Williams then Dorsey would be a fine replacement.

Like Brooks, Dorsey could be considered for a renegotiation dowe to a backup as well.

With our luck, you just never know who's going to go down. We have 17 guys on I.R. right now. 19 last year.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Kaepernick needs to be moved. He still has some value around the league, but not to much, thus if we can land a 2nd round pick, or a combination of picks with at least a 2nd round pick, then I'd be happy. The main thing with moving Kaepernick, is that it will give us some extra money to spend, and it allows us to get the cap hit out of the way right now, because we're most likely not going to be very competitive in 2016, so might as well take the cap hit now, and have more money to spend in 2017.
That's a laugh. He had regressed to one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL statistic wise, you would be lucky to get a 5th for him.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Like Brooks, Dorsey could be considered for a renegotiation dowe to a backup as well.

With our luck, you just never know who's going to go down. We have 17 guys on I.R. right now. 19 last year.

Yeah I think it's time to move on from brooks regardless...we know he's not coming back for that $9.8 million cap hit and I'd rather sign a FA, give more snaps to Eli/Rush and whomever we draft...thanks for the year brooks.

Dorsey should be sticking around IMO he can play NT or DE but I think he's best suited as a NT.
Originally posted by BobS:
That's a laugh. He had regressed to one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL statistic wise, you would be lucky to get a 5th for him.

Well I disagree with that...he's taken a team to 2 NFC championships and a SB. Alex sucked for 5+ years and we got two 2nds. A big plus is that contract with Kap in a trade. Yeah he's due like $12.5 million (around there I think) but it's year to year no long term commitment which is HUGE. QB needy teams dont have a ton of options in FA and this draft class isn't deep at all.

Just because you don't like him doesn mean some other team doesn't value him...there was speculation of a couple teams interested in a trade before the deadline earlier this season.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 2, 2016 at 9:31 AM ]

Yeah I think it's time to move on from brooks regardless...we know he's not coming back for that $9.8 million cap hit and I'd rather sign a FA, give more snaps to Eli/Rush and whomever we draft...thanks for the year brooks.

Dorsey should be sticking around IMO he can play NT or DE but I think he's best suited as a NT.

They may keep Brooks rather than have further holes in the defense. Whether he renegotiates or not, they have cap room to burn.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
We have 55 players signed for 2016 right now.

Most likely to be cut are IMO, cap wise.

Kaepernick
Brooks
Bethea
Dorsey
Pears

Also Devey is ERFA, he probably gets tendered, I wouldn't though, not worth the league minimum.

Only major FAs are Boldin, and Boone. Dawson is also unsigned.

They should keep Brooks and add Bush to your list. Brooks is a good OLB and unless Harold or Lemonier develops quickly he will be needed. Of course, if they could sign a better FA or draft a monster this would change.

I think Boldin might want to stay having enticed Torrey Smith to sign. I'd like to see him mentoring Smelter and draftee next year. Seems more likely that Patton or Ellington would be released or traded.
Brooks hasn't been good since 2013 and with his cap number would be my first cut. Cutting Brooks, Dorsey, and Pear along with trading or cutting Kap give this team so much money moving forward to resign younger players and some decent FA we are in rebuild mold and while you need some Vet. leaders you do not need a cry baby Vet like Brooks he is not leader material and has proven it.
[ Edited by leakyfausett on Jan 2, 2016 at 9:35 AM ]

I'd be fine with that. We've just had 36 players over two years now go on I.R. and he's not one of them. I'm thinking more veteran bodies who know our system as backups. Quality SAMs are hard to find.

But yeah, I'm all for the youth movement, obviously.
They may keep Brooks rather than have further holes in the defense. Whether he renegotiates or not, they have cap room to burn.

No way in hell they keep him with that contract...he's gonna be 5th highest paid 3-4 OLB in 2016

He's been awful this season 85th ranked edge defender and even lower in pass rush according to PFF....they will save over $6 million by just cutting him, take that money and find some real pass rush, pay Williams and Boone.
Originally posted by BobS:

Well I disagree with that...he's taken a team to 2 NFC championships and a SB. Alex sucked for 5+ years and we got two 2nds. A big plus is that contract with Kap in a trade. Yeah he's due like $12.5 million (around there I think) but it's year to year no long term commitment which is HUGE. QB needy teams dont have a ton of options in FA and this draft class isn't deep at all.

Just because you don't like him doesn mean some other team doesn't value him...there was speculation of a couple teams interested in a trade before the deadline earlier this season.

Yeah, this one is going to be interesting!
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Brooks hasn't been good since 2013 and with his cap number would be my first cut. Cutting Brooks, Dorsey, and Pear along with trading or cutting Kap give this team so much money moving forward to resign younger players and some decent FA we are in rebuild mold and while you need some Vet. leaders you do not need a cry baby Vet like Brooks he is not leader material and has proven it.

Brooks is a good OLB on containment and can get pressure. He's big enough to handle the outside and currently the niners have several guys who either can't or aren't developed enough to do so--Harold, Lemonier, Carradine. If they are comfortable with these guys going forward, and a draft pick, fine; but dumping a guy just because of cap space, when they have space already, seems unwise. Many forget that Brooks is one of the best athletes on the team.

However, much depends on who the DC will be. Mangini may want faster, smaller guys than Fangio preferred...which would make Harold the best bet to win the spot next year.

No way in hell they keep him with that contract...he's gonna be 5th highest paid 3-4 OLB in 2016

He's been awful this season 85th ranked edge defender and even lower in pass rush according to PFF....they will save over $6 million by just cutting him, take that money and find some real pass rush, pay Williams and Boone.
He is also worth a least two penalties a game for encroachment and even with the head start won't get to the QB.

Brooks is a good OLB on containment and can get pressure. He's big enough to handle the outside and currently the niners have several guys who either can't or aren't developed enough to do so--Harold, Lemonier, Carradine. If they are comfortable with these guys going forward, and a draft pick, fine; but dumping a guy just because of cap space, when they have space already, seems unwise. Many forget that Brooks is one of the best athletes on the team.

However, much depends on who the DC will be. Mangini may want faster, smaller guys than Fangio preferred...which would make Harold the best bet to win the spot next year.
He would be a rotation player on most teams and is being paid like an All Pro while playing like a dud.

He is also worth a least two penalties a game for encroachment and even with the head start won't get to the QB.

Well, we disagree. He had a down year but so did the entire team. The off sides or encroachment penalties are a sign of trying to manufacture some extra advantage...not good for a veteran, but not that unusual. If he has his head on straight and would agree to restructure to help the team he would be at least the second best OLB on the team. why cut quallity if you can't replace it? Guys like Brooks don't grow on trees...just ask Lemonier or Harold.

I'm hoping Brooks becomes less important next year and can be replaced, but not this year. Not sure how much of his guaranteed contract the niners could clear.

Bethea was that guys this year...unsure if Tartt and McCray would be up to speed, but now they can let him go.

Lol. He and 9 others.

But it is true, his team-leading 6.5 sacks is a bit misleading (again).

Well I will disagree that he gets constant pressure. You don't pay a 3-4 OLB almost $10 million for his sub par play...id rather go to FA for a vet and resign Williams, give Eli more snaps, and draft a OLB.

See ya later brooks could have been the leader of the team but instead he had hissyfits on the sideline and he's good for at least two penalties a game.
Share 49ersWebzone